Any LRH folks living in MS?

LongWalker

Currently living in the Nashville area but might have the opportunity to move toward the Gulf coast. Have looked hard at the FL panhandle area from Pensacola to PCB but have a former co-worker who lives in the Hattiesburg area that's been talking to me about the MS Gulf coast.

Pass Christian, Long Beach, Ocean Springs, etc. I did not know that MS does not tax retirement income (pensions, 401K, IRA, etc) and that's a big deal for me. Been to the Gulfport/Biloxi area a few times and liked it but obviously way different to live there.

Appreciate any info good, bad and ugly. I do understand the weather, heat humidity, etc so that's not much of a factor.

Just checking to be sure you know TN doesn't tax your 401K, IRA, or pensions either.

And TN doesn't get hurricanes. Right now I'm calling that a huge plus.

I lived in Biloxi 3 years. I met some really great people there, but property crimes were higher than I liked & the population has really exploded in that area, making it harder to get around.

If you are looking for white beach & blue water, Alabama or Florida coast are what you are wanting. MS coast is brown, murky water. But if you just want "coast"...MS has some. Sorry. Not wanting to be negative. It just wasn't for me. The blue water & white sand appeal to me more & I didn't find that until I got over toward Gulf Shores, AL.

If you just want to fish & play on a boat in the gulf, MS would work. But I'd take a 4 or 5 day vacay there first before jumping in with both feet.

^^^ What he said about the beach and water is spot on. We vacay in Gulf Shores. Hurricanes are a fact of life anywhere near the Coast. It's a trade off. We are 3 1/2 hours North of Biloxi, and Katrina kicked our butt! Tornadoes are a thing we deal with, as well as unreal humidity. But, hey, it's home. 😀

I just got back from Nashville area, Brentwood, last night. I like that area a lot. I live in Marion County, roughly 100 miles off the gulf coast. If you like having 4 normally occurring seasons you may want to stay further north. We can have as many as 4 seasons in a month's time. Weather is pretty crazy here as in rapid temp swings, rain, sun, sleet, etc in the same week. It's home, and there are some really great people here. I could convince my wife, I'd head west to the mountains just for the amount of recreational opportunities on public land.

The Pass Christian/Bay St Louis area is going to be a little calmer in general than the Biloxi and Gulfport area. Some really nice houses and properties over there too! Ocean Springs is pretty nice too but more congested and active, but it has a neat little downtown of its own.