Any load data for 6.5 PRC and Winchester StaBALL 6.5 ball powder?

May be a bit to fast for PRC case but if someone has quickload they could run some rough numbers. Hard to beat H1000 or RL26 though....if you can get your hands on it.

I was curious when you stated that Hogdon didn't have any load data for the 6.5 PRC. I just got off of their load data site and had no problem finding loads for that caliber. However there was nothing on the Staball 6.5. Perhaps it's too new for any data to be presented. I thougt the Winchester site may have corrected the problem, but it just went back to the Hogdon data . Myself, I prefer Nosler's Load data. Since they don't manufacture powder, they tend to be unbiased in results provided. They provide data for the most accurate loads of numerous brands and most common powders for that caliber. However, they don't show the 6.5 PRC.

Honestly I can't see why you prefer the Staball 6.5. I know its a Winchester powder, but none of the load data sites I use even mention it in their selections for any of the 6.5 loads. I have seen most accurate results from H4350, W760, and others depending on the bullet your using. Nothing uncommon about that.

Doc, Ball powder is easier and more accurate to meter. Plus I though this powder (per given charge) could settle down to a smaller volume giving more for a larger charge (IF the pressures remained OK).

Basically I'm looking for a very precise metering powder so I have to spend less time on the powder trickler.
But H1000 may be the best for the job.

Eric B.

If you check out the load data on Hodgdon's load center there is plenty of data for the 6.5 Creedmoor using Staball 6.5 but there is no Staball listed under the 6.5 PRC. Best guess is they don't figure it is appropriate for use in the 6.5 PRC or they would have more than likely listed it there.
Tens :cool:

Last edited:
If you check out the load data on Hodgdon's load center there is plenty of data for the 6.5 Creedmoor using Staball 6.5 but there is no Staball listed under the 6.5 PRC. Best guess is they don't figure it is appropriate for use in the 6.5 PRC or they would have more than likely listed it there.
Tens :cool:

Not necessarily, the Hodgdon website only has the same 4 or 5 powders listed from 120gr up to 153gr and the Hornady book doesn't even go below 140gr. The 120gr bullets should absolutely be using faster powders but that isn't reflected on the site. My guess is they are focusing on the 140+ bullets for now and will eventually test data for the lighter bullets.

Case in point I have been using Superformance with the 122gr Lehigh defense and am getting speeds 150 FPS faster than their H1000 loads because the H1000 is too slow and runs out of case capacity.

Reloader 25 (57 grns) OAL 2.950 was great in my PRC with 156 Berger... 9/16" 3 shot group at 300 yards on 1st group.....I tried various loads with Reloader 26 and H-1000 and was not happy...that is the best group I have had with any rifle of mine, but I am only an average shooter, mostly just hunting and shooting steel. According to the drops in the Hornady ballistic calculator, velocity is 2950 fps. YMMV. Kind of surprised I never see any loads with this powder for PRC mentioned anywhere.

Last edited:
So wanted to give a quick update, ran a ladder test of StaBall 6.5 in the PRC with the 122gr Lehigh. Went from 50 up to 56.5 with no pressure signs so I am going to continue upwards but in 0.3gr increments once I get more bullets in.

D681F48D-C605-4407-A166-36B070B0642C.png

I'm also going to start videoing the shots through a spotting scope because after the 5th one the mirage started getting bad enough that I couldn't make out my shots at 200 to keep track of where they impacted on my ladder.

CMP, Thanks for posting your data. Looking forward to more data.
I noticed your bullet weight is on the light side but I'm thinking of using 147 thru 150 gr. bullets for hunting. While I reload 6.5 CM for competition I probably won't be reloading 6.5 PRC for hunting - unless the Sta-Ball 6.5 proves good in that cartridge.

Based on the data available I was under the impression that StaBall 6.5 might be too fast for the heavy bullets in the PRC. I am however testing it with the 147gr in the Creedmoor though I've only run a quick ladder so far.

My PRC is built around a specific purpose, white tailed deer from 10 to 600 yards so I decided to go with the lighter weight Mono's for flatter trajectory and avoiding bullet failure at high velocity impacts. With the 7.5 twist on my proof I am unfortunately limited to the 120 class monos though it does seem to shoot the 147gr ELD-M well with 57.5gr H1000.

So I did some more testing using the 122gr PVA Cayuga hunting bullets because I ran out of Lehighs. Went from 56.1 up to 58.9 with velocities ranging from 3154 up to 3322. Velocity matched the Lehighs at the lower charges and at the top end the primers are slightly flat but no ejector marks though I'm not sure what the upper velocity limit is. Will be testing again with the Lehighs though I'm still on the fence between them and the Hammers.

On that note does anyone know if the new QuickLoad update has StaBall 6.5?

In other news I shot 5 rounds of the 147gr with 57.5gr H1000 which grouped 0.31 MOA at 200 yards, averaged 2963 fps and had an ES of 11 and a SD of 5.