Any lion hunters?

They are next to impossible to track.
I have tried using a call but have never been successful. The problem with calls is that it calls in every other predator as well. Queens in heat calls only attract males.
I use game cams in certain areas and try to pattern the cat based on time & location. The location is generally due to complaints from property owners of missing pets, or property owners hearing bawling fawns getting eaten in the same area on a regular basis.
I have 'heard' that hunting them with thermals at night (if allowed by F&G rules) is the easiest.

No thermals allowed in Colorado. Mostly mechanical calls but some specific areas are allowing electronic as the wildlife biologists are finally trying to determine if 4000 to 6000 lions are eating, just maybe 200,000 or more deer per year!

I'll continue the efforts this year.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try contacting the wildlife officers and see if they can give any insight.

Hounds are certainly the most productive method, but keeping a pack of hounds is beyond impractical for me. Hiring an outfitter is a high percentage route but beyond my $$$ limits. In any case , for me at least, it's more about the how than the kill.

Any who hunt by tracking and calling? I got into this on a small scale last year but could surely benefit from some tips from experienced hunters.

Me too! Washington banned hound hunting, and I have ran into several archery hunting. Our season trails into the next year so I've been trying to call in Jan/Feb. I know some guys that have had them hang up and leave-Finding tracks while leaving the set. One tip I got from a older caller was to get out in the snow and find fresh tracks or a kill to call by......if by a kill, use Cougar sounds to create territory dispute. I haven't found tracks or kill to try yet though....Good Luck

Yeah, fresh tracks is what im focusing on. Season opens tomorrow but we have no snow in my areas of interest.

For over 25 years, I've tried several times each year to call in a mountain lion, all without success. It is one of only two game speciea I lack to complete my AZ Big Ten. Males have large areas and only seem to pass a certain spot, creek bed, pass or waterhole once every three to four days. I have spoken with several ranchers who have urged me to hang around their herd (grazing public land) in early spring when the calves begin to drop. Ranchers say they calves are easy prey and if thelion misses the birth - there is always the afterbirth from the cow that is rich in protein. I've tried it a couple of times, but only saw coyotes. Nowadays, I just buy a lion tag every year and take my rifle whenever I scout and drive a new area, constantly glassing the creek beds/washes and rocky outcroppings.

Fresh snow and a logging road is all you need. Oh then follow the tracks no matter where they go for as long as they go. And just maybe you might see one. I doubt it. No dogs in Wa state. Fair chase only. Best chance to get one is it walk out in front of you at a distance or it jumps out at you to attack. Maybe that's way we see 225# cats taken every year. Be very careful in the mountains of Wa state. A 100# cat will have its way with you a 225# cat very slim chance of survival there.