Any Lazzeroni shooters?

petr

I am considering building up a tomahawk. The literature reads great. My bro has a warbird in a Sako and it is one bad dude. He shot an elk last year with 168 gr at 225 yards and it did not take another step. Through binos I swear I could see the shock waves going through the body of that elk. Lights out. Me, I am too much of a wuss to shoot the warbird. I like to shoot too much. The warbird will stake you in the ground like a tent post.

I would appreciate any feedback on the Lazz. calibers in the field and paper.

I don't own one never have and never will. I have shot several guns chambered in these rounds and was never able to get anywhere close to their listed velocities with their ammo or sane handloads.
they don't offer anything more than several other rounds out their and the others are alot cheaper to own and shoot.

if you looking for a long range hammer then look no farther than a 300RUM or 338Edge.
any of the big 30 cals will put an elk down just as fast ans you saw assuming that the correct bulet is used.

I will say that the one Lazz built rifle I shot was very well built , I don't think it was $5000 worth but it was nice.

I may be wrong but I believe you can not buy brass from Lazzeroni, only loaded ammo which is frightfully expensive.

JDJones is right, there are many cartridges based on widely available cases that will do what the Lazzeroni rounds claim to. Lazzeroni focuses on high muzzle velocity with fairly light bullets=lower BC=more wind drift and steeper trajectory at long range.

Get something based on a RUM case with a muzzle brake and you will be happy.

I was really interested at one time.. Until I found this site. I suggest you speak with Kirby aka Fiftydriver on this site. He's a gunsmith who has his own line of cartridges. Lazzeroni is just way too expensive to own and shoot not to mention the cost of the rifles..

Kirby's cartridges are much better designed and his customer service is the best. He will talk to you and answer your questions. Unlike the Lazz the guys who were rude as hell.

I second Kirby. Tell him what you want and he will point you the right way . Plus he makes great rifles. I looked for a long time till i found and picked him for my smith.

A Warbird is not the only cartridge that smacks elk down. A 300 RUM with 200g AB at 3200fps is plenty enough to hammer an elk at 800 yards and knock him off his feet if you take the shoulder shot, as I do, I have seen it done plenty with my own eyes. I have seen elk shot with a lot less rifle, at a greater distance then your talking about, and "drop like a rock" without all the expense. I once thought Lazzeroni's were the baddest thing out there, till I found out about this site. Advertising gets the best of ya sometimes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Had one in the Sako TRG-S, and got 3650fps with 168gr Barnes XLC. I sold it and got a 300RUM...I'm now getting within 100fps of the Warbird with 180gr bullets, so I'm satisfied as far as velocity goes, and now my components are a lot easier to come by and my gun (700 LSS) is not as finicky as the TRG-S was. Listen to the rest of the guys on here when they say that shooting the Lazzeroni isn't worth the money--brass is expensive, and very soft. Also, don't shoot the light bullets in the big magnums--they're meant to push the heavier, higher BC bullets faster and flatter. You'll have flatter trajectory past the 500 or 600yd mark than with the light, ultra-fast bullets. I seem to be the only one of any lazz shooters I know that was able to achieve the velocity that was advertised, and my brass seemed to hold up ok, but none of my friends' brass did. Bottom line in this ramble is that a Rem 700 platform with either a 7 RUM or 300 RUM will give you all you could ever want--especially a good action to throw a custom barrel on. Save your money and go with a RUM and a good scope--wish I would have done that to begin with.

I have a Sako TRG-S Firebird (7mm) and like it just fine. Maybe my chronograph technique is bad, but I've always gotten speeds on the factory loads that matched the box claim, and very good accuracy. Handloads (yes, they do sell brass) did even better, but case life is poor.

I've taken deer, elk, and a very long distance problem bear.

I keep thinking I'll rebarrel into .338 Lapua or have Kirby do some wildcat magic in 7mm Allen Mag, but this one keeps working.

Ok, that's the good news.

I also had, for a very brief while, a TRG-S in the Warbird, with a Christensen carbon fiber barrel. Factory loads were quite mediocre, and showed pressure signs. Handloads (at "starting load") also showed pressure signs. Rather than rebarrel it, I sold it.

I also held and shot one of the Lazzeroni custom rifles. Nice, but too pricey for me.

guns and labs,

If you ever want to sell that firebird, email me and I will buy it pronto. I have been looking for one for some time.

best

Petr, I have a TRG M995 in a Firebird. It is the one with the blued action and ss barrell. It has 30mm scope rings on it and has been fired 23 times. I also have dies and shell holder, 40 brass, 17 never fired and 23 once fired. I also have 1 box (20) of the 140 gr. sierra bt factory loads. I never go all the way thru breaking it in and had an accident, (badly broken leg) by the time that healed up I had decided to have Kirby Allen work his magic on a custom rifle for me. Let me know if you are interested, I will make you a good deal on the whole set up. Contact me at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.