Any kills with 195 Bergers?

No problems with 195 out of 28 nosler 3050 FPS.
1 Aoudad, 2 cows, 1 bull, all anchored quickly. My only complaint is a lot of blood shot meat with Berger's. But they preformed perfectly.

I've killed multiple deer with a custom 28 nosler with the 195s and am going for elk in January with full confidence in them, if they move they don't go far.

I shoot them out of my 28 Nosler & out of my 7 rem mag both custom builds using 1:8 twist.
My nephew used my 28 nosler to shoot a bull moose at 404 yards massive internal damage & moose only went 30 yds & fell over. I shot a moose with it as well mine was at 115yds clean pass through with a nice exit hole & again with massive internal damage.
I took a bull elk with my 7 rem mag at 455yds through the shoulder & the bull jumped & fell over dead.
How did that shoulder look?
Good to hear it passed through and killed him, the failures I've seen with Bergers were all shoulder shots at long range and the bullets blew up.
Thats the main reason I'm so hesitant to try the 195's.

Seems guys are having good success though, might just have to stop hating on Bergers and give them another try. :cool:

I killed this bull a in September with the 195EOL in a 28 Nosler at 300 yards. I was impressed with the performance of this bullet. Internal damage to organs was impressive and exit hole was the size of a golf ball. I was a little skeptical before the hunt that this bullet was not "tough" enough for a mature bull but now I wouldn't hesitate to kill a moose with this load. I also shot an antelope earlier this year with this bullet and I do think its a little more than what you need for a speed goat but dead is dead. I have a lot of confidence in the 195eol.

Attachments

• Fishlake Bull.jpg
    Fishlake Bull.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 182
Not much of a test but I use the 195 EOL in my 7 Sherman MAX and shot an antelope at 494 yards. The buck was quartering away and I put it right behind the 2nd rib and it exited out the front of his chest. Left about a golf ball sized exit hole. The goat dropped immediately. Was nice because I lost zero meat. I really like the bullet.

8A6CEDAF-0CC8-4264-9F11-C5A786C1253C.jpeg

I killed this bull a in September with the 195EOL in a 28 Nosler at 300 yards. I was impressed with the performance of this bullet. Internal damage to organs was impressive and exit hole was the size of a golf ball. I was a little skeptical before the hunt that this bullet was not "tough" enough for a mature bull but now I wouldn't hesitate to kill a moose with this load. I also shot an antelope earlier this year with this bullet and I do think its a little more than what you need for a speed goat but dead is dead. I have a lot of confidence in the 195eol.
Nice bull!

Not much of a test but I use the 195 EOL in my 7 Sherman MAX and shot an antelope at 494 yards. The buck was quartering away and I put it right behind the 2nd rib and it exited out the front of his chest. Left about a golf ball sized exit hole. The goat dropped immediately. Was nice because I lost zero meat. I really like the bullet.

View attachment 223553
Nice goat!

28 Nosler Dropped bull elk one shot at 390 with 195s. My guide turned around and said "that's how you kill a ______ elk"

Last edited:
Broz' observations from an older thread;

"Now lets go kill elk. I mentioned the 300 win and the 7-300 were the two most used rifles during a good part of last season here. This included a pre-season management hunt, all season long. And a post-season management hunt. Some nights we even had these two rifles side by side with a different hunter on each rifle while we waited in the blind for the elk to enter the hay field. Here are the results. The 215 Hybrid will out kill the 195 in a way so obvious after about a 15 or 20 elk taken with the 7 I put it away. The 300 with a 215 , not once needed a second shot to dispatch the elk. The 7mm, several needed a second shot. Now, add in the real world possibility of a less than perfectly placed shot and the advantage in terminal performance of the 300 with a 215 becomes even more evident.

This I feel is a great comparison. Why?
1: Because all this info is real and happened.
2: Same parent case were used.
3: Same powder were used
4: Same barrel brand and length were used same number of lands and groves
5: Repeated results were studied with several witnesses
6: I personally field dressed about 50 elk and documented the terminal performance, wound channels and shot placements myself
7: Optimum bullet used for each chambering
8: Both with the same muzzle brakes and barrel contour.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I just happen to have both of these rifles in my ballistic app, with drops documented to a mile and confirmed. Lets compare the real world external ballistics.

7-300 win with 195 Berger @ 2950
800 yards 10 mph 3:00 wind
dial up 15.9 moa right 2.6 moa
impact velocity 2150 energy 2000

300 win with 215 Hybrid @ 3035
800 yards with 10 mph 3:00 wind
dial up 15.0 moa and right 2.8 moa
impact velocity 2141 energy 2188

7mm takes .2 moa less wind (one click)
300 has 1 moa less drop (4 clicks)
300 arrives with 188 lbs more energy.

I used 800 yards because the OP was about at that distance for his comparison. And 400 to 850 were where we took all of these elk. But if you want to go further the same trend in results will only magnify the advantages of each.

So I offer these documented results for those who are trying to decide between the 7 and the 30. It will always boil down to personal needs. But if elk are ever going to be in your freezer, under equal conditions, the 30 cal will out kill the 7 all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.