Any kills with 195 Bergers?

Send it 284

I'm kinda interested in trying out the 195 Bergers in my 7 wsm but I'm pretty hesitant after some bad experiences with 215's being overly explosive.

I've been reading a bunch about guys having poor luck with the 195's, Id like to hear some feedback.
Not interested in the 180 vld at all.

In my opinion anything larger than 175 gr in a .284 can be done just as well if not better in a .30 cal.

Hmm
Definitely not the BC in that weight range
BC means nothing if it won't kill. The other issues is sometimes the increase in BC can not be realized with the decrease in velocity due to more mass. I personally have no experience with the 195 but have seen mixed reviews. I would assume you will get that with this thread. Most of the bad experiences will be anecdotal with real data. I have killed countless animals with the 215 with devastating results. This is why these threads end up being of little value. Most I personally know who have used the Berger 180s and 195s prefer the 180s. I would suggest you give them a try unless you have a 180 load already working.

A friend bought my 28nosler my wife is holding in my profile pic. He shot a nice 6 point bull at 485 with a 195, last week. 1 broadside shot, the bull dropped and didn't suffer. Small entry, just behind the front leg and massive internal damage. Left a good size hole in the other side rib cage.
D0702234-4BCD-4806-9C04-0ED85A7C94B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Like all Bergers, ensure the tips are clear/opened up and don't have junk in them and they will perform extremely well. I shoot a lot of Bergers in a lot of different rifles/calibers and I'm very happy with how they perform. They dump a lot of energy and more often than not don't have an exit wound which I'm fine with as the internal damage is devastating and the animals don't go far if they go anywhere at all

I would like to see a test showing the difference between a 195 with a normal open tip and a smashed or packed tip.

The 195 saved my bacon. I shot a deer multiple times with my 6.5 Creedmoor loaded with Norma Golden Targets and it was showing no signs of wanting to die. I borrowed a friends 7mm with the 195s and it smoked him.

That same rifle with the 195s was used to kill two more bucks and 2 elk that were both over 1k yards. Here's a video of the second buck.

I shoot them out of my 28 Nosler & out of my 7 rem mag both custom builds using 1:8 twist.
My nephew used my 28 nosler to shoot a bull moose at 404 yards massive internal damage & moose only went 30 yds & fell over. I shot a moose with it as well mine was at 115yds clean pass through with a nice exit hole & again with massive internal damage.
I took a bull elk with my 7 rem mag at 455yds through the shoulder & the bull jumped & fell over dead.

The 195 saved my bacon. I shot a deer multiple times with my 6.5 Creedmoor loaded with Norma Golden Targets and it was showing no signs of wanting to die. I borrowed a friends 7mm with the 195s and it smoked him.

That same rifle with the 195s was used to kill two more bucks and 2 elk that were both over 1k yards. Here's a video of the second buck.

First shot was nice. Second video looked high and back. Can't blame the bullet for the second taking so long, if that is the case

Which Berger bullet?
I shoot a VLD-H 175gn 30cal out of my Tikka 300wsm with excellent accuracy. My killing experience has shown that they are nearly frangible. They are not for bad shots but the accuracy makes up for any other concerns, IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.