Any Interest in a 330gr-350gr .338?

Chase723

I figured I'd start a thread here since this type of bullet would be used from 1000 and out, and wanted to gauge some interest…since it's not a thing…yet!

I was talking with @RockyMtnMT yesterday about the possibility of making a .338 Hammer Hunter that weighs 330gr-350gr to stabilize in a 1:7 twist…since I happen to have a 338 Edge with a 32" K&P with that twist rate. I think the Edge is on the "edge" of benefiting from something like that but you guys with more case capacity shooting single shot 338 Lapua Improved and 33XC I think could make excellent use out of it. Probably shoot at a little slower then a 300gr Berger, but would be better in the wind with bigger impacts.

I asked him to send me a minimum order and estimate. I'm willing to throw a couple hundred bucks at it to try something like that. If it's a real possibility, maybe a few of us could join together and could make it happen at a relatively reasonable rate for us all.

Heard back, seems like a mono of this weight would greatly exceed the "6x the length of caliber" magic ratio and would likely be subject to significant dynamic instability.

I'm going to leave this thread up in the event someone searches for something like that and is wondering why it hasn't been produced.

The engineering is above my pay grade...I didn't put my calipers up to the screen to check, but these sure look like > 6:1

1628991147235.png

You might try the 145 Lehigh bullets. I shoot them in my 338 Excalibur at 3450 out to 3000 yards. They are the most accurate bullet l have shot and I have tried them all. You should get 3250 fps out of a 338 lapua ackley with a 30 inch barrel.

Check out the Badlands Precision ICBM2 ELR bullets, the BC's are incredible and being lighter can be pushed much faster. It's not often you find lighter bullets with higher BC's that you can get more distance and energy with. 255, 265, and 285 grain .338's

I shoot the 285gr ICBM2 out of my 338 Edge. Ballistics are phenomenal however it's not a hunting bullet at all…I was hoping for a monolithic hunting bullet with a G7 BC of .440 or higher.

(
I figured I'd start a thread here since this type of bullet would be used from 1000 and out, and wanted to gauge some interest…since it's not a thing…yet!

I was talking with @RockyMtnMT yesterday about the possibility of making a .338 Hammer Hunter that weighs 330gr-350gr to stabilize in a 1:7 twist…since I happen to have a 338 Edge with a 32" K&P with that twist rate. I think the Edge is on the "edge" of benefiting from something like that but you guys with more case capacity shooting single shot 338 Lapua Improved and 33XC I think could make excellent use out of it. Probably shoot at a little slower then a 300gr Berger, but would be better in the wind with bigger impacts.

I asked him to send me a minimum order and estimate. I'm willing to throw a couple hundred bucks at it to try something like that. If it's a real possibility, maybe a few of us could join together and could make it happen at a relatively reasonable rate for us all.
Yes I'm a little slow what is a K P barrel. My 338 x caliber is 1 in 9 wish I had a 1 in 7.

Cut rifled. He can do any twist rate you want, left or right hand twist. He does not do gain twist if that matters to you. Really great guy. I've owned 4 K&Ps. All have shot great for me.