Any info on 17/223 Remington?

Boarman03

I'm thinking of playing with the 17 Remington seated in a necked down 223 case. Any dies out there already? Anyone else done this already? Any input?
Coyote problems that need curing with a reasonable cost center-fire safest to shoot in the city. I need the bullet to fragment on first impact.
Don't need excessive speed. Distance Max is 100 yards, but fairly flat out to 300 yards would be ideal for multipurpose use.

Thanks guys

1637814046203.png

If it's just a 223 necked down then all you need is a 223 bushing die and the appropriate sized bushing for a 17.

I'm more a fan of the 20s. I think they really split the gap between the 17 and 224 bullets. Loaded from 20-32 grains is the sweet spot with 40 gainers on the high end.

I don't know what it's like to find 204 ruger ammo or brass but you should be able to make from 223 brass or just 20 practical.

I have messed with the 17/223 a little.I never was that enamored with it, I ended up pulling the barrel and putting on a 20 practical which has been much easier to deal with. I may have a set of the Hornady dies for 17/223 that I can part with if you want.

I have messed with the 17/223 a little.I never was that enamored with it, I ended up pulling the barrel and putting on a 20 practical which has been much easier to deal with. I may have a set of the Hornady dies for 17/223 that I can part with if you want.
Yes, please. The 17 fragments better than the 204 and I need to shoot coyotes in the city limits, they are killing my livestock and poultry. I want to make sure the bullet will disintegrate before causing damage to anyone or anything else. Wind normally will not be a factor.
Do you still have the barrel as well?
I am in Mesa AZ.

Yes please. How do I contact you privately? I'm new here but I've been on Coursewhitetail for awhile.

Yes please. How do I contact you privately? I'm new here but I've been on Coursewhitetail for awhile.

I think you're too newly registered here to use tye private message function but if I'm wrong you should be able to click his photo and the see a button for "Start Conversation"

Also you can tag peaple in threads by typing the @ in front of their user name with no space

@cjuve

Yes, please. The 17 fragments better than the 204 and I need to shoot coyotes in the city limits, they are killing my livestock and poultry. I want to make sure the bullet will disintegrate before causing damage to anyone or anything else. Wind normally will not be a factor.
Do you still have the barrel as well?
I am in Mesa AZ.
What kind of ranges are you likely to be shooting? I don't have any first hand experience, but I've heard the 17hmr is decent on yotes to 150yds and the 17wsm can push that to 200yds. If that would work for you it'd be a lot easier than messing with a wildcat. Also, a 17 rem would be pretty similar but factory ammo is available.

What kind of ranges are you likely to be shooting? I don't have any first hand experience, but I've heard the 17hmr is decent on yotes to 150yds and the 17wsm can push that to 200yds. If that would work for you it'd be a lot easier than messing with a wildcat. Also, a 17 rem would be pretty similar but factory ammo is available.
It will be much cheaper to make 17-223 brass from the abundant 223 brass than to buy the 17 Remington ammo, especially since I have the ability to reload.
The 17-223 will have more stopping power than the 17hmr does. I don't want to have wounded coyotes that live and leave the property. Could become a battle with animal lovers in the city. What I shoot on my property needs to stay on my property.
Remember, I don't have to shoot sub MOA, although it would be nice. And I have a custom rifle maker for a close friend, Southern Xpress Custom Rifles, whose two horses I board for free. He'll help me where I need help.
He built my muzzle loader that shoots over 620 yards, the one I shot my first mule deer with at 320 yards with 15mph winds gusting up to 40mph. He was with me and helped calculate the turret settings on my scope using the program in his phone. I'm still learning.

It will be much cheaper to make 17-223 brass from the abundant 223 brass than to buy the 17 Remington ammo, especially since I have the ability to reload.
The 17-223 will have more stopping power than the 17hmr does. I don't want to have wounded coyotes that live and leave the property. Could become a battle with animal lovers in the city. What I shoot on my property needs to stay on my property.
Remember, I don't have to shoot sub MOA, although it would be nice. And I have a custom rifle maker for a close friend, Southern Xpress Custom Rifles, whose two horses I board for free. He'll help me where I need help.
He built my muzzle loader that shoots over 620 yards, the one I shot my first mule deer with at 320 yards with 15mph winds gusting up to 40mph. He was with me and helped calculate the turret settings on my scope using the program in his phone. I'm still learning.
Otherwise, the 204 Ruger would be a possible choice, but as mentioned before, I have concerns over the bullet remaining intact and don't want the higher BC.