Any h-bomb experts here?

montana_native

I watched a cool documentary last night about the develoment of nuclear weapons called "Trinity and Beyond." There was some amazing footage captured during those tests.

One thing I would like to know is what are those vertical "streamers" that show up at the beginning of the blast near ground level that rise up into the atmosphere?
Thanks

Atomic_Bomb_Museum_45c9fa1681165.jpg

If you happen to know any of the bomb people at Los Alamos National Lab or ask someone at the Bradbury Museum in Los Alamos I bet you'd get an answer.

The smoke trails are from telemetry rockets that are fired just prior to detonation. I'm not an expert but I worked in the program from 1958 to 1980.

This is not my field of explosives but I can make a guess for you. With the blended product we use, when the product goes off and achieves steady state velocity it will be around 6000degrees and a velocity far greater(I can't remember the exact number I think about 3Xfaster). I am assuming it is fragments of the devices or something around it going into the air. Did they mention if the device was contained? What I deal with are snap caps compared to this stuff though.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts