Any Gunsmith with an 01 FFL license, read this now....

Two things interesting then:
-This is all new, cuz it's never been this way in the past.
-Everyone and their grandmothers will soon have licenses to manufacture firearms!

If this is the case, it doesn't surprise me. They did something similar with fireworks.
Before 9/11, each year I obtained a 'user limited' license to hold fireworks displays.
Post 9/11, ATF required for this, a license to possess, store, and transport explosives. And they reduced the requirements for it -so it would atleast -work. Anyone not a felon is approved.
Now everyone even remotely involved in fireworks displays holds this license!
This is just what we need post 9/11 -everyone able to buy explosives!!!

Our gov't in action..

I can not address the past….but it is how it must be done now….
Like you said….Our Government at work….and I think it will just get worse, not better.

Jim

That is what they have been doing in this area. it seems that each agent gets to make his/her own rules.

A friend of mine (gunsmith) got hit about 3 years ago and it cost him over $15,000 in back excise taxes and now he has the mftr permit. He took it to court also and lost.

Twice they have sent undercover personnel to is shop with illegal parts (ie barrels under 16" and fully automatic 22) for him to work on and reblue hoping to catch him. The same barrel has been in at least 5-6 shops in this area trying to catch gunsmiths.

Huge case going on this week in NC with a multi-millionaire gunshop owner taking the ATF to court and all the way to supreme court if he has too.

There were over 300,000 FFL holders 15 years ago and it is down to under 60,000 now and more going every day.

BH

Are you guys paying the ITAR to the State Department? During my initial inspection, the ATF told me that in order to get a 07 FFL I had to pay the ITAR fee. Its now $2250 per year, even if I don't export any firearms.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.