Any good to eat ?

FD458E10-6AFC-4F60-8072-D0C175DF216E.jpeg

It was not a wild hog but I just smoked a Boston butt for 8 1/2 hours yesterday it was delicious

I wish I lived close to you all who throw your hogs away. I would snatch those up in a heartbeat provided they weren't rotted before I could get to them.

We sometimes give the good eating hogs to needy family's If we have plenty in the freezer, but we go ahead and clean them first. It is a good feeling, and we can better control our population of hogs. Your game warden can normally tell you who he gives illegal game to if you don't know someone in need.

I was brought up not to waste good meat, but some hogs don't fit into that group. When I was very young, my father and grandfather trapped feral hogs, castrated the boars, and fed them for 8 to 10 weeks and added a little lye to there water to kill the parasites. then the butchering/work began.

If you are set up to do this, the meat is as good or better than store bought.

We also have Javalina in the south, but I have tried them many times and just can't make my self eat the flea infested stinkers, so I just pass on all of them. I am glad some can eat the big hogs and Javalina's and just because I can't doesn't make the meat bad, It just makes the hunter tougher than me. :cool:

J E CUSTOM

I have not heard anything good about the taste of javelina. I am not into funky tasting meat. I don't like liver of any kind, nor do I like squirrels or wild duck. They can be made to taste ok by wrapping in bacon and cooking for a long time because they end up tasting like bacon. Bacon can't save liver. I kill several deer a year which I butcher myself for the freezer and I don't hang them because I don't like the taste of a deer that has been hung for a long period of time. I just have never had a funky tasting wild boar. I have only eaten maybe a dozen or so ranging from 80lbs to 250lbs and the only difference that I have noticed between a boar and a sow is that the big boars are tougher but I have only hunted them in the winter and they get gutted and thrown in a cooler within a couple hours of being killed. It's probably the diet. The hogs I have eaten were primarily eating peanuts and corn. Someone on here said something about killing a dozen hogs in south GA and the guide told them they weren't worth eating. The guide was lazy and did not want to deal with them. He didn't want to have to skin and quarter a dozen hogs. South GA hogs eat peanuts and are marbled with fat. At least all of the ones I have encountered are that way.

Last edited:
It does have a lot to do with their diet but if you've ever walked up and smelled a stinky hog you'll know right away he is no good to eat if they do not smell and the meet is cooled quickly and properly they will be fine

I always have good meat from wild hogs (boars and sows) regardless of size. The key is to field dress quickly and get it to butcher within a couple hours.

you mentioned hog hunting in eastern Tennessee. I go to a reserve called "Loshbough Hunting Lodge" near Crossville TN every year with friends - I recommend them highly.

As you can see from my Avatar we have eaten wild boar and a number of other game meats down here and your right its just a matter of finding a small young one for the best taste - what we are finding out in the desert country is Camel which we were very surprised that a young one tastes like prime beef and now we are going for some feral donkeys, that meat has been eaten in Europe and Asia for centuries

In the deserts out west they hunt the feral burro's that the miners abandon/lost in the gold rush, and just once I got to try It. I was not impressed but it was not so bad that I would not eat it again.

Hummmmm. Camel ? I hope they taste better than they look:):).

There are probably a lot of things that we could eat if we had to.

J E CUSTOM

I made a smoked cajun wild boar porchetta this weekend. Thats what I call it at least. Wish I had taken a picture. I made some wild boar andoulli sausage and took the sausage that was left over in the stuffer and packed it around a 1.5 pound chunk of wild boar loin and then wrapped the whole thing in wild boar pork belly. I decided to save some of the belly to try and make bacon but decided to use it for porchetta instead. I tied it, coated the outside with blackening spice, and smoked it for 8.5 hours using hickory. It was fantastic. I was a little worried that the belly meat would have an off flavor but that was not the case at all. It was really fatty but it just melted into the roast. Even cold, it is wonderful. I thought the fat would be hard and clumpy. Even cold, it is a wonderful heart attack in the making. I am going to definitely be saving the belly meat in the future. I used to just grind it.

I made a smoked cajun wild boar porchetta this weekend. Thats what I call it at least. Wish I had taken a picture. I made some wild boar andoulli sausage and took the sausage that was left over in the stuffer and packed it around a 1.5 pound chunk of wild boar loin and then wrapped the whole thing in wild boar pork belly. I decided to save some of the belly to try and make bacon but decided to use it for porchetta instead. I tied it, coated the outside with blackening spice, and smoked it for 8.5 hours using hickory. It was fantastic. I was a little worried that the belly meat would have an off flavor but that was not the case at all. It was really fatty but it just melted into the roast. Even cold, it is wonderful. I thought the fat would be hard and clumpy. Even cold, it is a wonderful heart attack in the making. I am going to definitely be saving the belly meat in the future. I used to just grind it.

"WONDERFUL HEART ATTACK IN THE MAKING!!!!"

LMFAO

HILARIOUS

I AM HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY NOW!!!!

Cool meat down right away or as quickly as poss. process properly per above posts. try this recipe for hams /roasts that have worked for me.

Marinate meat for 24 hrs with 1/2 OJ , 1/2 grapefruit juice, cup of brown sugar, after marinating wrap meat in loose tent of foil, place on covered grill, cook 1 hr on high, move meat to lower temp area of grill til meat reaches safe temperature in center of roast . Serve The pork was always tender and sweet. Citric acid in juice tenderize the meat.

Cool meat down right away or as quickly as poss. process properly per above posts. try this recipe for hams /roasts that have worked for me.

Marinate meat for 24 hrs with 1/2 OJ , 1/2 grapefruit juice, cup of brown sugar, after marinating wrap meat in loose tent of foil, place on covered grill, cook 1 hr on high, move meat to lower temp area of grill til meat reaches safe temperature in center of roast . Serve The pork was always tender and sweet. Citric acid in juice tenderize the meat.

YUMMY

BTW

THIS WORKS ON OLD BARREN COW ELK, OLD BARREN DOES, WOOD DUCK, MUD DUCK AND GOOSE LEGS AS WELL!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts