Any good media separator?

I knew I could count on this group for some good input! I ordered the Dillon. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Good choice. I have been using my Dillon for a couple of years. Probably processed 15k of various brass through it, mostly 9mm but a variety of pistol and rifle rounds. I use a FA wet tumbler.

Thinking of using a BBQ rotisserie motor with some pulleys to make it turn slow while I put a cover with heated air blowing thru it. Remove media while drying at the same time.

I have most of the systems.
BUT, I find dry media just leaves dust everywhere.
I have gone to SS pins and Frankford Arsenal tumbler.
Thought it would be a hassle.
But it's not.
AND primer holes and inside are clean like new.
Image won't post?

I run a Lyman Turbo Tumbler with dry media. I've had an RCBS and two Lyman media separators. All served the purpose but none have worked very well. The top and bottom half hinges oppose each other and are just unhandy to relatch each time the media is dumped. (It seems they could be made to just stay latched.) The half-piano-hinge that hinges the two halves of the case basket don't stay latched and quickly become bent so they don't relatch well. The tabs to keep the Lyman case basket from turning broke quickly. And the latches for the tub and the case basket are many times difficult to operate. The reviews of the Frankford Arsenal separator seem to indicate similar problems.

Overall, it seems these media separators are an after-thought with little care for quality just cheap production. I'd pay good money for a good, functional, and easy-to-operate dry media separator. Are there any out there?
A 1 gallon pail and a piece of 1/4 inch screen Cost: About 4 bucks.... Flawless!

I have most of the systems.
BUT, I find dry media just leaves dust everywhere.
I have gone to SS pins and Frankford Arsenal tumbler.
Thought it would be a hassle.
But it's not.
AND primer holes and inside are clean like new.
Image won't post?
Best thing about wet tumbling is I can do a whole months worth of brass on my wife's quilt meeting night. I just tumble each load for an hour, tumble separate in the Dillon and layout to dry. No noisy vibratory tumble for hours and no dust. Brass comes out looking like new . I have had a few pins get stuck in 6.5 cases but a simple tap and it's out. I always inspect every case after I tumble to cull any with imperfections anyway. Takes time, but only way to reload safely.

I just turn my Lyman tumbler upside down. When it's time to be done I leave it running and hold it over a bucket. Gets the vast majority of media out. I'm mainly tumbling 5.56 LC and 300 Blackout, before decapping, rarely do I get more than one or two kernels out when I flip the case over before running them through the die. My tumbler is about ten years old at this point, doesn't seem to hurt it any.

I've always used Lyman natural or green corncob just because it seems to work fine. Figure it'll work the same way by turning over with a different media.

For some reason I don't recall I also have one of these. I leave it in the top of the bucket to hold my dryer sheets and NuFinish. Media stays in the bucket until it's time to throw it away.
I find that the Quick and EZ to be the most reliable hassle free dry media separator on the market. Nothing breaks or want latch. After I shake all the media out in a bucket. I take an air hose and blow all the dust off of the cases and get ready to process. A cheap win, win. I have looked at the dillion, but the EZ handles it's job very well.

I use the Dillon CM 500 for everyday usage (under 200rds rifle), Then go to dillon 2000 for range brass and larger loads. Then buddy had 20-30 5 gal buckets full of LE range brass he needed cleaning. Rented small cement mixer and dumping 2-3 Five gal buckets with 30 lbs of walnut media, tumble for 2 hrs, dump contents over mesh and wheel barrow. Two days later, insurmountable job done. Roughneck buddy donated 2 hundred lbs of walnut media used for polishing job site materials. Best media i have ever seen. One more trick for Pistol/Rifle brass cleaning, add 10-20 sprays of liquid/spray car wax on brass in tumbler when u start. Really makes brass look great and feel smooth. Never had another malfunction in semi...........

I ran into this one ...

That one looks pretty dang slick, especially since it work for the stainless media as well to capture and rinse.

I've got the Frankford Arsenal one that has the same blue round tumbler portion (with 1 handle) that has a pin to hold close and sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. Although it works great and I really like it, I like how this one has a lid on top to keep media from flying out onto the floor. It gets annoying when you step on it.

I found the top holding tray from an old igloo cooler. It is rectangular, roughly 8" by 12", the holes in the bottom are maybe 1/4"-3/8" square. The rims on the holding tray will just catch on a five gallon pail. Just poor from the tumbler and a shake or two and the job is done.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.