Any good media separator?

tt35

I run a Lyman Turbo Tumbler with dry media. I've had an RCBS and two Lyman media separators. All served the purpose but none have worked very well. The top and bottom half hinges oppose each other and are just unhandy to relatch each time the media is dumped. (It seems they could be made to just stay latched.) The half-piano-hinge that hinges the two halves of the case basket don't stay latched and quickly become bent so they don't relatch well. The tabs to keep the Lyman case basket from turning broke quickly. And the latches for the tub and the case basket are many times difficult to operate. The reviews of the Frankford Arsenal separator seem to indicate similar problems.

Overall, it seems these media separators are an after-thought with little care for quality just cheap production. I'd pay good money for a good, functional, and easy-to-operate dry media separator. Are there any out there?

I use the lid on the Lyman Turbo tumbler over a bucket, has done the job for me since about 1988 or so.
For pistol cases, I used to dump the media and cases in a bucket, turn the lid of the tumbler upside down, with the tumbler running and the lid screwed down and slowly pour out the contents, cases and media would separate nicely.

Cheers.

I just turn my Lyman tumbler upside down. When it's time to be done I leave it running and hold it over a bucket. Gets the vast majority of media out. I'm mainly tumbling 5.56 LC and 300 Blackout, before decapping, rarely do I get more than one or two kernels out when I flip the case over before running them through the die. My tumbler is about ten years old at this point, doesn't seem to hurt it any.

I've always used Lyman natural or green corncob just because it seems to work fine. Figure it'll work the same way by turning over with a different media.

For some reason I don't recall I also have one of these. I leave it in the top of the bucket to hold my dryer sheets and NuFinish. Media stays in the bucket until it's time to throw it away.

Last edited:
I run a Lyman Turbo Tumbler with dry media. I've had an RCBS and two Lyman media separators. All served the purpose but none have worked very well. The top and bottom half hinges oppose each other and are just unhandy to relatch each time the media is dumped. (It seems they could be made to just stay latched.) The half-piano-hinge that hinges the two halves of the case basket don't stay latched and quickly become bent so they don't relatch well. The tabs to keep the Lyman case basket from turning broke quickly. And the latches for the tub and the case basket are many times difficult to operate. The reviews of the Frankford Arsenal separator seem to indicate similar problems.

Overall, it seems these media separators are an after-thought with little care for quality just cheap production. I'd pay good money for a good, functional, and easy-to-operate dry media separator. Are there any out there?
I use a vibrating cleaner with dry walnut media. I reload .270win, 30-06spfd, .243win, 308win, 8mm mauser, and 30-30, and various pistol calibers. I have a LARGE slotted serving spoon that I got at a yard sale. It is big, 2 or 3 cups, I scoop all the brass out with the spoon shaking a bit then dump all the brass into the colander looking thing that came with the cleaner and stir them some more then manually dump the cases that still have media in them. A little time consuming, but what the heck, I'm retired. I usually clean one hundred cases at a time, it takes 10 minutes to get the brass out and free of media. Not too bad at all.

I have used the Dillon for about 30 years with no issues.
Ditto. I have had the CM-2000, like forever and have moved back and forth across the USA with it. The tub cracked (old age or ?) and with one email (with picture) Dillon send, at no cost to me, a replacement tub. The actual rotating separator has never had an issue and I hope it lasts another 30 years (although I won't, last, that is.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts