Any fully custom actions out there based on the Model 70?

JNB86

I'm seeing similar threads in this section, so I hope this question is in the right section. If not... give me some time and I'll get everything figured out.

Anyways, I'm currently in the preliminary research phase of building a completely custom, 100% U.S. made and manufactured, multipurpose, bolt gun. My goal is to build a rifle (dare I use the term?) "tactical" in nature that is not only a very capable long range target gun, but also a powerful multi-game hunting rifle. As stated above, I am after long range accuracy; however, reliability is of the utmost importance to me. I need a rifle that will feed and eject every time that I ask it to; one that is able to stand up to prolonged and rugged field use; and finally, one that will stand the test of time and eventually become an heirloom. Because of all of these requirements I have been leaning towards a Model 70 type action; however, this is where I start to run into issues. Because I am trying to build a fully custom tactical rifle, I am having a hard time finding the right action. I have searched and searched, but for the most part I find manufacturers that base their action on the Remington 700. I won't have it. Essentially I'm not dead set on the Model 70 action, but rather the options that the 70 offers. Controlled feeding, Mauser style extractor, variable ejection, machined, and its three position safety are all very high on my list. So all of that being said, here's my question: Does anyone out there know of any custom made and manufactured actions based on the Model 70?

Side note: I have been very seriously looking into Montana Rifle Company, but have read quite a bit of negative reviews and feedback… I also recently discovered that their actions are cast and not machined.

Any and all help/comments are very much appreciated.

I'm seeing similar threads in this section, so I hope this question is in the right section. If not... give me some time and I'll get everything figured out.

Anyways, I'm currently in the preliminary research phase of building a completely custom, 100% U.S. made and manufactured, multipurpose, bolt gun. My goal is to build a rifle (dare I use the term?) "tactical" in nature that is not only a very capable long range target gun, but also a powerful multi-game hunting rifle. As stated above, I am after long range accuracy; however, reliability is of the utmost importance to me. I need a rifle that will feed and eject every time that I ask it to; one that is able to stand up to prolonged and rugged field use; and finally, one that will stand the test of time and eventually become an heirloom. Because of all of these requirements I have been leaning towards a Model 70 type action; however, this is where I start to run into issues. Because I am trying to build a fully custom tactical rifle, I am having a hard time finding the right action. I have searched and searched, but for the most part I find manufacturers that base their action on the Remington 700. I won't have it. Essentially I'm not dead set on the Model 70 action, but rather the options that the 70 offers. Controlled feeding, Mauser style extractor, variable ejection, machined, and its three position safety are all very high on my list. So all of that being said, here's my question: Does anyone out there know of any custom made and manufactured actions based on the Model 70?

Side note: I have been very seriously looking into Montana Rifle Company, but have read quite a bit of negative reviews and feedback… I also recently discovered that their actions are cast and not machined.

Any and all help/comments are very much appreciated.

Dakota Arms -- Fine Hunting and Safari Rifles
Here you go, very fine actions.

However, why not use a WInchester CRF for your custom?

San Diego Ken's BAD *** P64 Winny Build - Sniper's Hide Forums

I did, worked out very well.

"However, why not use a WInchester CRF for your custom?"
-And the Model 70 isn't just that?

"Montana rifles, I believe:"
-As stated in my original post, I have looked into MRC very seriously; however, I have read some bad reviews about customer service and quality control.

Gentlemen, I do very much appreciate your replies. The Dakota action's seem like a solid option and I'll be looking into them more.

Have either of you had any personal experience with the McMillan G30 CRF, or know someone who has? I would prefer to buy from a smaller company, but this action does seem to have quite a few of the options that I'm looking for and at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the input everyone.

"However, why not use a WInchester CRF for your custom?"
-And the Model 70 isn't just that?

"Montana rifles, I believe:"
-As stated in my original post, I have looked into MRC very seriously; however, I have read some bad reviews about customer service and quality control.

Sorry, I didnt articulate my thought properly. Yes, a Model 70 is a Model 70. :) .

I meant, you could most likely pick up a very nice pre-war M-70 for the $$$ or less than you might spend on a "New" iteration of the M-70. Your project sounds like an exciting one. We will look forward to seeing its progress!

Plenty of originals left. The post 64 copies show up in the classifieds regurally. Brain is seizing this morning somebody (fn?) bought actions and built rifles. I love the originals, but nothing last forever, l just put a Tubb speedlock in my 1941, as springs got noticeably sluggish, and primer ignition got less reliable.

Buying an original certainly has been an idea that has run through my head once or twice during my search, but I imagined it would be pretty difficult to locate one that is of a suitable condition, or that isn't of too much value to modify. I obviously do not know much about the 70, so please forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that a pre-64 Model 70 was a fairly sought after rifle... Hence my desire to find a currently manufactured copy.
Again, it's not so much that I desire to build this rifle around a Model 70 action, but rather everything that it offers. Given my understanding of what a pre-64 is to some people, I would hate to cut into one knowing that I could have bought a currently manufactured action that offers the same things. That being said, I have come across two so far that I have found enough interest in to research further. One is an action build by MRC that is heavily based on the Model 70 and Mauser actions. Unfortunately during that research I discovered that those actions are cast and not machined from a blank. This is not so much of a concern if I knew I would never notice the difference; however, the reports of their poor customer service are. The second action that has caught my attention is the G30 CRF by McMillan. I have not found much one these actions in the form of personal experience and am currently looking for that. Do any of you know much about the G30? It seems very much like a M70 action, minus the Mauser type extractor.

Again, thank you all for you advice.

Buying an original certainly has been an idea that has run through my head once or twice during my search, but I imagined it would be pretty difficult to locate one that is of a suitable condition, or that isn't of too much value to modify. I obviously do not know much about the 70, so please forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that a pre-64 Model 70 was a fairly sought after rifle... Hence my desire to find a currently manufactured copy.
Again, it's not so much that I desire to build this rifle around a Model 70 action, but rather everything that it offers. Given my understanding of what a pre-64 is to some people, I would hate to cut into one knowing that I could have bought a currently manufactured action that offers the same things. That being said, I have come across two so far that I have found enough interest in to research further. One is an action build by MRC that is heavily based on the Model 70 and Mauser actions. Unfortunately during that research I discovered that those actions are cast and not machined from a blank. This is not so much of a concern if I knew I would never notice the difference; however, the reports of their poor customer service are. The second action that has caught my attention is the G30 CRF by McMillan. I have not found much one these actions in the form of personal experience and am currently looking for that. Do any of you know much about the G30? It seems very much like a M70 action, minus the Mauser type extractor.

Again, thank you all for you advice.

What Caliber are you contemplating? Long action ( 06') model 70's are plentiful, the rifles selling for the equivalent of a quality action. The valuable ones are the oddball caliber pre-war model 70's. ( valuable being relative)

What Caliber are you contemplating? Long action ( 06') model 70's are plentiful, the rifles selling for the equivalent of a quality action. The valuable ones are the oddball caliber pre-war model 70's. ( valuable being relative)

Almost certainly .300 Win Mag. I feel that is a pretty solid middle of the road cartridge, and give me alot of options if I ever start reloading...

Almost certainly .300 Win Mag. I feel that is a pretty solid middle of the road cartridge, and give me alot of options if I ever start reloading...

So, you could build a 300 Win Mag off of a Long Action ( 30 06' ) pre 64 Winchester Model 70 by opening up the bolt face, and perhaps a follower change/mod.

Probably the best place to look at actions is Benchrest Central Forums. The reason I use Remington style actions is the fact that you can get anything imaginable for an action with a Remington footprint, stocks,custom parts, actions and just about anything that is very rare to find for a Winchester action.
Here is the best description of actions I have found
Custom Actions within AccurateShooter.com

Probably the best place to look at actions is Benchrest Central Forums. The reason I use Remington style actions is the fact that you can get anything imaginable for an action with a Remington footprint, stocks,custom parts, actions and just about anything that is very rare to find for a Winchester action.
Here is the best description of actions I have found
Custom Actions within AccurateShooter.com

This is a good point, and good advice. The Remington is the "small block Chevy" of rifle actions as far as parts and do-dads pre made.

I'm glad i'm not the only one here that is a Model 70 slut, but then on another note i bought 2 FN TSR's over the last 2 years (223&308) and i like them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.