Any fully custom actions out there based on the Model 70?

I'm glad i'm not the only one here that is a Model 70 slut, but then on another note i bought 2 FN TSR's over the last 2 years (223&308) and i like them.

Nope, your not alone.
There is no problems finding any part imaginable for a Model-70 either.
Add that to the integral recoil lug (vs a recoil lug/washer between bbl & action, Rem 700), & Winchesters 3 position safety, & there's a BUNCH of us Model-70 sluts:D

There are tons of pros & cons for both Rem, & Win actions. They both have enough positive attributes that you can't go wrong with either. Tons of customs, & bench guys building on both.

I just had a long action Model-70 XTR (push feed-no claw) 30-06, converted into a long action 300WSM, with a 26" Hart bbl, #4 contour, fluted, mini muscle break, throated long for 200gr Accubonds, yada yada you know. Dang thing drives tacks!

You don't necessarily "need" a controlled round feed action to have a rock solid, deadly accurate, custom.
But the nostalgia that goes with the pre 64' is pretty cool! & admitidly, I'd have had mine built on a pre 64' or CRF(new extractor claw design) action if I had easy access to one with minimal monetary, or sentimental value. But my ol' -06 was just collecting dust, & now has new lofe breathed into it. I love my Winnie's. Factory, or Custom, pre64', push feed, & CRF.
So, no, we're not alone. Theres tons of is Model-70 sluts. In fact, theres Many here on LRH:D

:)

mounts_zps7a6709db.jpg

Nice looking rifle kennygss. Looks a lot like my 338 RUM, I've got the Leupold Dark Earth mark 4. with barrel and action matching. You got me beat by a few thousand on the serial #

Even without the serial number we can surely tell the beauty in the photo is a Pre-64 by the "lump" on the bolt and its corresponding cut-out. Only as a last resort would I distance my M70s: Pre-War 270 (actually built in 1942 from 1941 parts) 514xx; CRF 270 G449xx, and "the cannon" shown elsewhere on this site G159xxx. Here's pics of the Pre-War:

Attachments

• WINCHE~1.JPG
    WINCHE~1.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 51499 a.JPG
    51499 a.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.