any experience with the TC Venture?

andym

I've been looking at the Savage 111 Trophy hunter package as a starter rifle. I was shown a TC Venture by by a guy who has both. Just wondering if anyone has a Venture, mainly 30-06, and what are your opinions?
Thanks everyone,
Andy

Customer service at TC totally sucks since they got taken over by S&W. You would need to think very carefully about buying one of them. I just gave away my TC Icon that they refused to sell me parts for or do any work on. Basically a $700 paperweight. The guy I gave it to was shooting an enfield age rifle, so for him it is a step up, even if the bore copper fouls like crazy and the stock has a crack in it.

Savage has a very good reputation. Especially in the accuracy department. I have dealt with there customer service and was pleased with the response. I own 7 Savage's and am very happy with them.

I would consider upgrading to the standard 111 hunter and buy a scope separate. I think it would be better as the hunter package does not have the Accustock. It has a standard plastic stock. The Accustock has an aluminum bedding block in it. That is important and can greatly enhance accuracy. Then for a scope, Nikon is fine. I would forgo the BDC reticle though. Try to get a scope with turrets for dialing. The turrets will get you to 300 yards and beyond much more accurately.

Enjoy!

Savage has a very good reputation. Especially in the accuracy department. I have dealt with there customer service and was pleased with the response. I own 7 Savage's and am very happy with them.

I would consider upgrading to the standard 111 hunter and buy a scope separate. I think it would be better as the hunter package does not have the Accustock. It has a standard plastic stock. The Accustock has an aluminum bedding block in it. That is important and can greatly enhance accuracy. Then for a scope, Nikon is fine. I would forgo the BDC reticle though. Try to get a scope with turrets for dialing. The turrets will get you to 300 yards and beyond much more accurately.

Enjoy!

+1 if you like the Savage get it, and the Nikons are great, especially with turrets.

Savage is not completely blameless with their product either and I have many of them. Before you commit to buying a model 11 or 111 (long action), please be sure to handle an equivalent model 10 or model 12 first. The model 11 / 111 has a plastic trigger guard / magazine frame and the magazine (if it is a DBM) is plastic too. With a model 10/12/110/112 this is not the case.

In addition, be sure of what stock you are getting. The base model 11 / 111 gets a completely trashy honeycomb (cored out) plastic stock that hardly has any glass content. They are basically worthless. If you decide after a few months or weeks that you need an upgraded stock, they can set you back $250+.

So to summarize: Either a synthetic accustock (with cast in aluminum bedding block) or a laminate stock is a worthwhile investment. A squirmy warped banana stock made out of cheap plastic will drive you nuts. This is true for Savage, Remington and pretty much all the names out there. Whether you will like the plastic magazine is a bit subjective but most people I know think that the metal ones are considerably more robust and less likely to fracture if you drop it in the middle of winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.