Any experience with the Remington 798's?

AJ Peacock

All,

I've always wanted a M98 based rifle and have been wondering about the Remington model 798.

I'll get a 375 H&H someday, control feed etc. Just curious what everyones opinion on the Remington 798 is?

Thanks,
AJ

I haven't seen a 798, but the only 799 I ever had in my hands seemed pretty rough. Looked like they hadn't paid much attention to the finish. Maybe it was just one that slipped through, but I wan't to terribly impressed.

All,

I've always wanted a M98 based rifle and have been wondering about the Remington model 798.

I'll get a 375 H&H someday, control feed etc. Just curious what everyone's opinion on the Remington 798 is?

Thanks,
AJ

AJ.

The 798 and the 799 are both Mauser actions with the Remington name.

One is the Minnie Mauser (A short version chambered in 7.62x 39) but I cant remember which
one. For a while they were the bargain of the year because in the Remington owners manual
they forgot to mention that it was a controlled feed and people were returning them left and
right because when they laid a round in the action they couldn't close the bolt.

All of the big chain stores were returning them to the factory and did not know that there
was nothing wrong with them.

During this time they were clearancing them for around $300.oo dollars.

I know 4 people that bought either the 798 or the 799 and love them,

The finish is not bad but it is not like a 700 classic BDL (More of a SPS finish)

I think they are made in Yugoslavia and the machine work seams to be good.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks, the 799 is the mini-Mauser and I don't think it is controlled round feed.

I like the idea of the M98, but I've never owned one.

Thanks again,
AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.