Any experience with the Leupold CDS?

nyrifleman

Anyone actually used one at 400-600 yards? Does it track as its designed to? I'm thinking of investing in a few, are they an improvement over the B&C reticle?

Looking at putting them on a VXIII 3.5-10 on a Kimber 84M in 308. How are they working for you guys?

I just logged on to ask the exact same question.

I have my choices nailed down to 3 scopes.

The 2.25x16 Bushnell Elite 6500 with DOA reticle

The Zeiss 4.5x14 Conquest with Rapid Z 800(or 1000)

Leupold VX3 4.5x14 with CDS.

I am leaning towards the Zeiss.....

I am pretty sure the CDS system works much like the Custom GreyBull Precision Leupold optic seen here...

YouTube - GreyBull Precision Long Range Hunting

put one on my 257 weatherby and my MG Arms 300wsm, worked great, used the 257 out to 900 yards and was able to put 3 in 8" so I say they work just great!

they work great as long as 15 MOA is all you will be using in elevation. I have used one to take several coyotes beyond 500 yards. what they really need to do is combine the 1/3 moa adjustments to the CDS so that way you would get 20 MOA which should get most people to 1000 yards.

to me it doesn't make sense trying to use a holdover system, dial for elevation hold for wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.