Any experience with Leupold VX-3i LRP line?

SavageHunter11

Title kind of says it all but to elaborate further. I am building a mountain rifle around 8 to 8.5lbs in 280A.I. for an all around hunting rifle (antelope to elk). Originally I didn't think I would find a FFP scope that would be light enough to consider and decided to go with a Nightforce 3-10 SHV (20oz) or a Minox Za5 3-15x50 HD (22oz) but then I stumbled on the Leupold 4.5-14x50 FFP (22.5oz). Anyone have any experience with these that they would be willing to share? If I get one I think I'll at least go through the custom shop and swap out that door knob of a turret for a smaller M5 style turret. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

I have the 6.5-20 CCH. Has pretty much turned into my favorite scope. Side by side with my NSX, clarity and contrast is equal to me. I was worried about the clutter of the reticle and the large elevation knob prior to buying but tried it anyway. I forget about the reticle usually unless purposely holding for wind and the knob doesn't bother me. Haven't done a tall target test but i hit 8" steel out to 600 yards and in no problem. Returns to zero perfectly every time.

I think for the money they are very good...and the 4 I have work and track great..I am selling one because I have not used it and don't have any plans to mount on another rifle...glass is on par with nightforce SHV and better than Vortex PST...

I have six of them, and think they are pretty dang good optics for the money. I've got 2 of the 4.5-14's, both in TMR's, and 4 of the 6.5-20's. I've shot most of them to a mile. Tracks wonderfully, and the glass is crisp and bright. Especially in low light. I think the elevation knob is ugly as well, but owning quite a few MK-4's with M5 turrets, I think I prefer the ugly turret. It keeps track of my revolutions which I really like. Over all I have nothing bad to say, and I've also compared to the PST and the SHV, and I also think the LRP wins.

I have six of them, and think they are pretty dang good optics for the money. I've got 2 of the 4.5-14's, both in TMR's, and 4 of the 6.5-20's. I've shot most of them to a mile. Tracks wonderfully, and the glass is crisp and bright. Especially in low light. I think the elevation knob is ugly as well, but owning quite a few MK-4's with M5 turrets, I think I prefer the ugly turret. It keeps track of my revolutions which I really like. Over all I have nothing bad to say, and I've also compared to the PST and the SHV, and I also think the LRP wins.

What does the big door knob turret do to track your rotation? Also does it have a zero stop?

It does have a zero stop.

It tracks the revolutions by a sleeve that drops down from the turret as you dial. There are 5 mils per revolution, and the sleeve is marked at 5, 10 & 15, along with gradient marks. Makes it super fast to see where I'm at. The more I've used it the more I like it.

It does have a zero stop.

It tracks the revolutions by a sleeve that drops down from the turret as you dial. There are 5 mils per revolution, and the sleeve is marked at 5, 10 & 15, along with gradient marks. Makes it super fast to see where I'm at. The more I've used it the more I like it.
That is a huge plus for a scope in that price range... I'm going to have a look at one at my local sporting goods store tomorrow. I'm betting all my gift cards from Christmas won't make it back lol

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.