Any experience with Brux barrels?

barnesuser28

I am going to rebarrel a rifle and plan on using a Brux 1:8.5 twist 24" in .284. Anyone have any experience with them? Good? Bad? Clean easy? Shoot good? This will be my first rebarrel so i am very new to this.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Riley

Subscribing...

I have one on order. I've heard good things about Brux. Len has used them on some of his builds.

Nathan Dagley (Straight Shot Gunsmithing) recommends Brux barrels.

Lorenzo Young (Grit) is getting ready to finish up my build. He learned a lot from Nate at SSG and he recommended Brux for my build so that's what I went with. I should have results of how it shoots by the end of the month gun)

I was actually going to see if Lorenzo would do it then i heard about Nate and found out he is in ND so i decided to go with him.

There is one on my new 6.5-284, shoots good and cleans easily. Break in went very well.

There is also on on my AI 6X47 Lapua. It too cleans very easy and has proven to be highly accurace (precise to be more correct) with a few different bullets.......It darn sure doesn't appear to be picky.

I've only tried one bullet in the 6.5-284, and don't plan to change that untill I've shot up all 600 that remain. Dont see any reason to change up when it's shooting like this at 700 yds. This is one of Lens' LRR guns by the way.

Attachments

• 700 yds_ 6.5-284 140 Berger VLD.jpg
    700 yds_ 6.5-284 140 Berger VLD.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I have the Brux Heavy Target barrel in 30 cal.

Built into a 300WSM that puts 5, 210 grain Bergers at 100yds into a group that measures .194 with dial calipers.

I do not clean it once dialed in until after the shoot/ hunt season, with maybe 100rds through it still shoots exaclty where I left it, dead center.

WHen cleaning I get very little copper fouling and a tiny bit of carbon fouling.

If I use a foaming copper/carbon cutter, let sit for 20 mins, then boresnake out, it's good. I can then do a full cleaning with all the fancy bore guides and chemicals you can buy and get no further copper or carbon fouling out......so it's very easy to clean.

I cannot recommned Brux enough.

Wow lots of great feedback, SBruce and Daves762, how many rounds did your break-in take?

Len, it sure looks like you do good work!

I am planning it to be a #4 contour at 24" as i want to keep it light for walking in the timber but be able to reach out to about 600-700 yards if need be. MUCH farther on varmints though :). Is this too thin and short?

Wow lots of great feedback, SBruce and Daves762, how many rounds did your break-in take?

Len, it sure looks like you do good work!

I am planning it to be a #4 contour at 24" as i want to keep it light for walking in the timber but be able to reach out to about 600-700 yards if need be. MUCH farther on varmints though :). Is this too thin and short?

I'd say break in was done within 5 cleanings and 10 shots, however I did notice an additional increase in velocity after about 100 rounds down the tube. I used nothing but Shooters Choice and Boretech products and nylon brushes, and patches of course. The gunsmith broke in the 6X47 and he said it was driving tacks within 10 rounds.

The 6.5-284 is a number 4 contour finished at 26" and that's about the thinnest countour I personally would want in a LR rifle. Light enough to carry all day but heavy enough to shoot 1/2 moa at extended distances too. The AI 6X47Lapua is a much heavier contour, its a #8 finished at 26"......too heavy for packing, but excellent on the bench or bipod for prarie dogs.

As you can see, a #8 is pretty darn big and makes it muzzle heavy. But it sure does shoot good. These are gunsmith targets from his test before the gun shipped. I've since shot groups just like these in that gun with different bullets and loads, unfortunately don't have them photographed and on the computer yet.

Attachments

• 6LD by Long Rifles Inc..jpg
    6LD by Long Rifles Inc..jpg
    80 KB · Views: 156
  • First 100 yd groups Fireforming LRI 6 Long Dasher.jpg
    First 100 yd groups Fireforming LRI 6 Long Dasher.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 103
I've got two Brux barrels so far. Both on 6.5x47 Lapua's. On is 1 in 8 twist and one is 1 in 8.5. Both broke in and quit making copper in 5 shots or less. Both shoot closer to .25 moa than .5 moa. I am really impressed with Brux. Before Brux I was shooting a lot of Broughton barrels, I will only be shooting Brux from now on.

I put a Brux #3 contour at 25" on my Savage .260. It required very little break in, cleans easy and is very accurate. Just shot an inch and a half group at 450 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts