Any experience with Brux barrels?

barnesuser28, just remember, even BARNES recommends barrel break-in with a different bullet than theirs.

A few short years ago, there was a video of a guy who built his own bench rifle using a Brux barrel and Berger bullets coated with danzac who won a 600 yard shoot.

My thoughts: I spoke with the guys at Brux and heard their interesting story about how they started up in the bbl business. Very interesting. Guys seem genuine and want to turn out a quality barrel and they certainly do. I think they are still in a phase, or perhaps are now beyond it, where they are a parallel to Mike Rock. I recall reading on Rock's website: Quietly making quality barrels for 30 years or whatever.

Brux makes a barrel that is on par with the "Kings;" Obermeyer and Krieger. You have no worries.

Well i think my Brux barrel choice is set in stone now!:) gun)

Im glad they break-in easy because i hate breaking in a barrels with a passion.:D

DerekM i will most likely break in with the 180 Bergers because of their long bearing surface.

Wow lots of great feedback, SBruce and Daves762, how many rounds did your break-in take?

Len, it sure looks like you do good work!

I am planning it to be a #4 contour at 24" as i want to keep it light for walking in the timber but be able to reach out to about 600-700 yards if need be. MUCH farther on varmints though :). Is this too thin and short?

As a Machinist I support a "barrel break in" but only till it groups well and cleans out fast, and my barrel did so very quickly.

I shot and cleaned for 10, then started shooting 5 rd groups with a cleaning inbetween. The third 5 shot group was the .194 group and the barrel stayed that tight ever since.

My rifle is posted on this site somewhere. It is 14lbs and some feel that is "heavy" but as a 35 year old fireman, in decent shape, I don't think an extra 5 lbs is going to make or break any hunt. If it does you need more treadmill, and not less rifle......

Two comments:

1. Brux barrels are great. They are accurate and break-in quickly and easily. Both my rifles wear Brux barrels and break-in was done in about ten round. Both consistently shoot .5moa or better with various loads.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

2. What is your catridge choice? It seems as though it is 284win but I am not sure. Regardless, you said the twist in your barrel would be 1:8.5 Any particular reason for that when 1:9 is enough to stabilize even 180grain bullets?

I've got a #4 Brux on my hunting/long range play rig, and couldn't be happier.

255961a0.jpg

It's not a terribly heavy rig, but shoots great:

8" plate
500 yards
5 consecutive shots.

500yardsteal.jpg

On this one, I was shooting at 700 on a really windy day and missing my plate, so I shot three at my backer to see where I was hitting:

700yardsmeasured.jpg

I think it shoots pretty darn good for a #4 barrel. Count me as a BIG fan of Brux barrels.

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.