Any data for 270 WSM with 150 gr AB, not ABLR

Westdreamer. Proof & Carbon 6 have had good luck with both. Probably because they are the only ones that my gunsmiths have put on several guns.

VhitaVouri, is a Top Notch Powder Manufacturer but, a bit more Expensive than, other Powders.
I use, N-160 in a couple of, chamberings and IT produces,.. amazing, accuracy !
In this Day and Age, NOT all, Powders that, we Like are, "available" HENCE, WHY,.. I'd take a look at it.
Everybody and their Dog, is shooting, RL-26,.. Good luck, finding it.
I personally, have NO Experience with, "Compressed Loads" but, have read that, there's nothing to Fear if, listed by, the Bullet / Powder Manufacturers as, a "safe " Load,.. but a Drop Tube might be, necessary.
Do you have any experience with the Viht N560? From the site, sounds like it might be good too, maybe faster too.

NO experience as,..
I use, only, the N-100 Series Powders to keep, reasonably good, Barrel "Life" as they ARE, some of, the best, Cool burning, Single Based, Powders.
The .270 WSM, has, a Short enough, Barrel life, as it, is !
When much Younger, I wore out, a .270 Wby in about,.. 900 / 950, Rounds.
Some of Today's, "High Energy" Powders are,.. TOUGH, on Barrels as they have, LOTS of, Nitro in them !
Since I like to Practice, Field Positions on Steel, I shoot quite a bit.

Last edited:
I'm shooting 150 accubonds out of a all factory Tikka t3 with RL26 at 3100 fps this is at 100yds

Attachments

• 05000DC1-E24C-43BE-9DB3-5B20FEB16591.png
    05000DC1-E24C-43BE-9DB3-5B20FEB16591.png
    485.2 KB · Views: 58
I just had a 270wsm re-barreled with a 22" carbon fiber 1:7 twist. Figuring it would stabilize the higher BC bullets that we are trying to shoot today, better than the 1:10 that the wsm is famous for. Early results while sighting it in, with Retumbo are incredibly promising. 140 gr Berger's coming in at 3185 before showing any signs of pressure. This is at 6500' elev.
Just curious why you went with 1:7t when it's not needed? I built a 270wsm with 8:75t and 300' elevation gave me 1.55 stabilization and 6500' would have given me 1.95 stabilization at 2850fps with 170eol. Really not much needed for 1:7t, but that JMO.

My ultimate goal is to have a lighter rifle that can comfortably take elk out to 900 or 1000 yards. I might be dreaming though. Even if I got a rifle that fit the bill, it might be beyond my ability with a light rifle. But I'm willing to try, at the range anyway. Maybe I just need a lighter stock and barrel for my R700 300 RUM. If I get the 150's shooting good out of my 270 WSM, it should get me close, maybe 800 or 850 yards I think. At the 9500-11000 elevation that I normally hunt.
IMHO,. You already HAVE, One of, the "Ultimate", light weight, Walking around, semi-long Range, Rifle / Calibers, FOR,.. "Hunters".
I'd find, a "good", load & Bullet that, your confident in for up to, 800 Yards.
Practice, a LOT of, Field Positions on, 10-12 inch Dia Steel plates ( when. you start to, MISS them, you've found "your",.. Max Distance ! )
Learn to "stalk" and navigate the Mtn's to get, CLOSER to, a herd of, Elk.
Learn about, how the Wind, "affects" your chosen Bullet at, ALL "reasonable", Distances
The .270 WSM and 7mm Rem Mag "Class" of Cart's, will, "get it done" , WITHOUT all, the carry Weight in, "REAL World", Hunting, terrain !
IF, you want to "Shoot" across, TWO Zip Codes, you will need, a Bigger Caliber bullet and a much Heavier, Rifle, SORRY to be, the bearer of, Bad News.

Last edited:
IMHO,. You already HAVE,One of, the "Ultimate", light weight, Walking around, semi-long Range, Rifle / Calibers, FOR,.. "Hunters".
I'd find, a "good", load & Bullet that, your confident in for up to, 800 Yards.
Practice, a LOT of, Field Positions on, 10-12 inch Dia Steel plates ( when. you start to, MISS them, you've found "your",.. Max Distance ! )
Learn to "stalk" and navigate the Mtn's to get, CLOSER to, a herd of, Elk.
Learn about, how the Wind, "affects" your chosen Bullet at, ALL "reasonable", Distances
The .270 WSM and 7mm Rem Mag "Class" of Cart's, will, "get it done" , WITHOUT all, the carry Weight in, "REAL World", Hunting, terrain !
IF, you want to "Shoot" across, TWO Zip Codes, you will need, a Bigger Caliber bullet and a much Heavier, Rifle, SORRY to be, the bearer of, Bad News.
I agree it's close to ideal.
The rifle shoots 1 moa comfortably to 600 yards with 140 AB's from prone bipod and prone backpack with wind varying from 5-15 mph. Once I get some heavier pills shooting good, I will hit the nearest 1000 yard range and see what it can do.
I'm at 900 elevation so of course I would have to shoot in my hunting environment around 10000 feet and note the difference when I get out there to verify the chart numbers for the different atmosphere.
Powder and bullets are on the way. I hope to start loading and shooting in the next few weeks! Starting out with some RL23, Magpro, and Retumbo (just because I have the retumbo for my 300 RUM). Still hope to find some RL26.
. Is RL26 still being made and shipped to the US?

Don't know, what's going on with, some of these, Gun Powders ! Maybe, it's in, a Container Ship, OFF shore !
I'm looking for some, RL-16 to use in my 6.5 Creed, with, the 147 ELD-m's, myself.
But, I have, StaBall 65 and N-160,.. just in case, I can't find it !
RL-26 is one of the most sought after Powders,.. ever ( wouldn't hold my Breath for, IT ).
Still think that, the NEW Temp Stable, N-170 is, the "Ticket" for, the 150's !