Any data for 270 WSM with 150 gr AB, not ABLR

Great to know! Thanks Trm82!
Now if I can only find some RL26 or RL23!
Does it even pop up for sale anymore?
I have some alerts set up but never see 23 or 26 pop up as in stock.
I did manage to snag some Retumbo for my 300 RUM from Brownells this morning!!!!!
Retumbo will work but you might not get the speed your looking for.
If your anything like me I'm not happy with a magnum rifle if it's shooting non magnum speeds.

If you hunt elk with a 300 RUM, what is your barrel length, bullet, and powder for that if you will?

I have been using RL25 and 180 gr TTSX which have worked well for me on elk out to 450 yards, but I plan on going to 200 AB's for a little farther range.

Thanks
I just acquired a 300 ultra and I plan to shoot 168 ttsx at 3550 -3600 FPS.

When you say "recommended 1500 lbs of energy" where does that number come from? If you talk to any bullet manufacturing company they will tell you their particular bullet performs to a certain minimum velocity. That's the only number to be concerned with. Obviously the greater the energy the better for game but it means squat with actual bullet performance. If I was looking at a bullet for long range performance for your rifle it would be the 145 eldx with a recommended 1600 ft/sec min. If you could get that eldx up to 3150-3200 you would have plenty of velocity to 1000. That would extend your range. Best wishes!
1500 ft/lbs for elk is just a number that is somewhat accepted by some as a general minimum for elk, kind of like 1000 ft/lbs for deer. I believe the 1500 will roughly be achieved with most decent elk bullets and calibers up to moderate ranges, which would help with penetration on elk shoulders in less than ideal shot angles that come up in hunting situations. I agree with you that the minimum and maximum velocities for a given bullet are more important, especially if you can wait for broadside, behind the shoulder shots.

Below is a reference to the 1500 ft/lbs:

A commonly accepted threshold for the minimum amount of kinetic energy needed to kill an elk is 1500 ft-lbs. https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages...ext=A commonly accepted threshold for,243 Win.

There are also other references including 1250 and even 1000 ft/lbs. And then of course references saying to not worry about the KE and mind the bullet velocity and specs.

I will have to look into the ELDX some more.

Do you have elk experience with the ELDX?

If your anything like me I'm not happy with a magnum rifle if it's shooting non magnum speeds.
Are you talking about not getting the speed from the retumbo for the 270 WSM or the 300 RUM?

I haven't tried the Retumbo yet for either.

Thanks

Huh, interesting. I never heard of that 7mm-270WSM. Interesting. I like your "EZ Button" though!

I wonder how a Carbon Fiber barrel would do. Are they stable and do they have the accuracy?
Carbon Barrels are ok ( But Expensive and NOT really, necessary for, a Sub 8 Pound, Rifle ). Most Guys are getting good Groups with them, BUT,..
they won't Win any, Bench rest, 1000 yd., comp's. They are great for, "lightening up", a Hunting Rifle, just don't put too Heavy of a Scope on the Rifle, afterwards ! Most Factory Tikka's ( with a couple of, "Mods" ) will shoot, sub 3/4 MOA with, the "Right" Load / bullet and Scoped, they weigh, 7 and 3/4 pounds or, less. I carry mine on the side of, a stuffed EXO, Pack, using, a Kifaru, Gun Bearer, "holder".
I have a small Toe Rest and shoot Prone off, the stuffed tight, Pack.
My 12 y/o grandson, just popped a Nice, 3 X 4 Muley at, 265 Yards, over his dad's EXO Pack with, my Left Handed, .243 Tikka T-3, using 87 grain Berger, HVLD's with a reduced load, @ only 3,000 FPS !
One Hop and, DRT ,.. the 4 Practice trips out to the Desert, really paid off for, him !

Last edited:
If you hunt elk with a 300 RUM, what is your barrel length, bullet, and powder for that if you will?

I have been using RL25 and 180 gr TTSX which have worked well for me on elk out to 450 yards, but I plan on going to 200 AB's for a little farther range.

Thanks
Well when I first started Elk hunting with my 300 Rums I used factory 180 gr corlock then moved to the 210 Nosler ablr. Now I only hunt Elk with one of my 338's . I finished a new one for this season in a 338 Rum , 24" carbon barrel, 250 gr bergers and Rl-26 . Load finnished at 2997 ft.per.sec. I didnt get a chance to tag a Elk this year . Looking forward to Spring Bear !

Rum Man

I was going to try a reload for my mostly stock Tikka T3X Lite 270 WSM with 150 gr Nosler AB's, not ABLR. I know the AB 140's are great and there is all kinds of info for those, I am even currently loading and hunting with those. But I was thinking of the 150's for longer range energy for elk. I think the 150 AB's would be better than the ABLR's for when closer elk shots come up. Where I hunt though, some 700-900 yard cross canyon shot opportunities do come up.
I already have the longer magazine and bolt stop for this rifle and it has a long throat so I can load a longer COAL as needed. Stock barrel is 1:10 twist so I am limited to the 150 grain max bullet weight for stability.
I am probably just splitting hairs. It looks like I will only gain about 100 yards worth of the recommended 1500 lbs of energy. Maybe its not worth it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Does anyone have any thoughts or load data or info for the 150 AB's for the 270 WSM?

Thanks

I'd start with the freely published data from Nosler. The data is the same for 150 gr bullets and doesn't differentiate between LR and standard accubond.

I'm also attaching a screen grab of the 150 data on the link I shared.

Shoot straight, be safe and have fun!!

Attachments

• 16DE7796-25CE-4637-A0D1-264CD213946A.jpeg
    16DE7796-25CE-4637-A0D1-264CD213946A.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 130
I just had a 270wsm re-barreled with a 22" carbon fiber 1:7 twist. Figuring it would stabilize the higher BC bullets that we are trying to shoot today, better than the 1:10 that the wsm is famous for. Early results while sighting it in, with Retumbo are incredibly promising. 140 gr Berger's coming in at 3185 before showing any signs of pressure. This is at 6500' elev.

I'd take a Hard "Look" at,.. N-170
It's available, now it's, Temp "Stable" and Impressive Velocities for, the 150 grainer !
You probably will need, a Drop Tube to fit it, all IN, tho !
See Nosler Chart, above and Note that, the "Accuracy load" is at, Max charge !
IF, you try N-170 BE SURE, to check the VhitaVouri Book or online Data for, the Maximum Charge and compare to, Noslers Data !
I will, NEVER Trust only,.. ONE,. "Source"

Last edited:
I just had a 270wsm re-barreled with a 22" carbon fiber 1:7 twist. Figuring it would stabilize the higher BC bullets that we are trying to shoot today, better than the 1:10 that the wsm is famous for. Early results while sighting it in, with Retumbo are incredibly promising. 140 gr Berger's coming in at 3185 before showing any signs of pressure. This is at 6500' elev.
Wow, nice, especially out of a 22" barrel! Have you had good experience with a carbon fiber barrel before? If so. Which brand?
Thanks for sharing!

I'd take a Hard "Look" at,.. N-170
It's available, Now, Temp "Stable" and Impressive Velocities for, the 150 grainer !
You probably will need, a Drop Tube to fit it, all IN, tho !
See Nosler Chart, above and Note that, the "Accuracy load" is at, Max charge !
IF, you try N-170 BE SURE, to check the VhitaVouri Book or online Data for Maximun Charge and compare to Noslers Data !
I will, NEVER Trust only,.. ONE,. "Source"
Thanks IDlefty, I will. I still have a little RL23 left and would like to find more along with RL26. I am going to look into that N170 because I am not familiar with it. How's its reputation for quality and consistancy? I know you said temp stable which is also what I am looking for.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to compressed loads?
Thanks

VhitaVouri, is a Top Notch Powder Manufacturer but, a bit more Expensive than, other Powders.
I use, N-160 in a couple of, chamberings and IT produces,.. amazing, accuracy !
In this Day and Age, NOT all, Powders that, we Like are, "available" HENCE, WHY,.. I'd take a look at it.
Everybody and their Dog, is shooting, RL-26,.. Good luck, finding it.
I personally, have NO Experience with, "Compressed Loads" but, have read that, there's nothing to Fear if, listed by, the Bullet / Powder Manufacturers as, a "safe " Load,.. but a Drop Tube might be, necessary.

Last edited:
Wow, nice, especially out of a 22" barrel! Have you had good experience with a carbon fiber barrel before? If so. Which brand?
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks IDlefty, I will. I still have a little RL23 left and would like to find more along with RL26. I am going to look into that N170 because I am not familiar with it. How's its reputation for quality and consistancy? I know you said temp stable which is also what I am looking for.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to compressed loads?
Thanks
There are a lot of good powders that will work in that short fat case very well. Just be very careful when reaching max lds on any of them!!