Any data for 270 WSM with 150 gr AB, not ABLR

THanks fir al
Do the Berger's hold together and penetrate if they go through an elk shoulder at close or far range?
Thanks for all the great info IDlefty! I too found the 140 AB's to have a lower BC than what was posted on some Nosler info, but I also found some Nosler info with different BC's for their 140 AB's. Like .496 in one place and .460 in another place. That is why I appreciate the real world data from the experienced people on sites like these.
Cheers

I picked up a Factory take off just for something different to shoot /load . I'm all set in the heavy bullet rifles !
Always wanted a 270wsm ! I will try the 130 gr & 140 gr bergers! This will be for Wt deer and Antelope!
My 300 Rums and a few 338's are my go to for long range Mule deer and Elk ! Once you take a Elk at 1244 yards with a 338 Edge & 300 gr bergers it's tough try anything else !

Rum Man

I picked up a Factory take off just for something different to shoot /load . I'm all set in the heavy bullet rifles !
Always wanted a 270wsm ! I will try the 130 gr & 140 gr bergers! This will be for Wt deer and Antelope!
My 300 Rums and a few 338's are my go to for long range Mule deer and Elk ! Once you take a Elk at 1244 yards with a 338 Edge & 300 gr bergers it's tough try anything else !

Rum Man
Oh, wow. Yeah, sounds like you are very well set for your heavies! 1244 yards seems crazy to me. I hope to have a rifle and confidence built through practice to be able to shoot that far some day. That would definitely help with those bulls I see on the other side of the deep canyons, lol.

Do the Berger's hold together and penetrate if they go through an elk shoulder at close or far range?
My 140 gr. Berger Classic Hunter Bullet, went thru BOTH Shoulder Blades, knocking the Elk off his Feet,.. instantly.
5 or 6 "Fragments" and Base of Bullet were found stuck in, Far side, Hide / Hair with, MINIMAL, Meat Loss.
The Bull Elk, was shot at, approx,.. 90-95 yards.
The Herd, was coming uphill, thru the Sage at, a slight Angle, towards us. I was Kneeling shooting thru my Stix and the High Shoulder shot, over the Sage Brush was, the only shot I had ( I wanted to shoot, the "Boiler Room" area, to test against, the Accubond Kill I had, a couple of years ago ).
Was very Pleased with, the Performance,.. I'll keep using them !
I shot Thru, a 3/8 th's inch Dia., Steel Target Stand at, 550 Yards,.. so I see, NO Problem with, "toughness",.. IMO

My 140 gr. Berger Classic Hunter Bullet, went thru BOTH Shoulder Blades, knocking the Elk off his Feet,.. instantly.
5 or 6 "Fragments" and Base of Bullet were found stuck in, Far side, Hide / Hair with, MINIMAL, Meat Loss.
The Bull Elk, was shot at, approx,.. 90-95 yards.
The Herd, was coming uphill, thru the Sage at, a slight Angle, towards us. I was Kneeling shooting thru my Stix and the High Shoulder shot, over the Sage Brush was, the only shot I had ( I wanted to shoot, the "Boiler Room" area, to test against, the Accubond Kill I had, a couple of years ago ).
Was very Pleased with, the Performance,.. I'll keep using them !
I shot Thru, a 3/8 th's inch Dia., Steel Target Stand at, 550 Yards,.. so I see, NO Problem with, "toughness",.. IMO
Yeah, have to be happy with that performance!
I wonder if the Berger classic hunters are tougher than some of the other bergers. I'm not all that familiar with their Bullet offerings and the difference between them.
I might have to give them a closer look.
Thanks for sharing your experience on that bull!

Rum Man
My ultimate goal is to have a lighter rifle that can comfortably take elk out to 900 or 1000 yards. I might be dreaming though. Even if I got a rifle that fit the bill, it might be beyond my ability with a light rifle. But I'm willing to try, at the range anyway. Maybe I just need a lighter stock and barrel for my R700 300 RUM. If I get the 150's shooting good out of my 270 WSM, it should get me close, maybe 800 or 850 yards I think. At the 9500-11000 elevation that I normally hunt.

Last edited:
Yeah, have to be happy with that performance!
I wonder if the Berger classic hunters are tougher than some of the other bergers. I'm not all that familiar with their Bullet offerings and the difference between them.
I might have to give them a closer look.
Thanks for sharing your experience on that bull!
Might want to, Call / Text, Berger as they've been more than Helpful for me !
I HAD a couple of Pounds of IMR 7828 Powder left over from, my 7 MM Rem Mag and my son suggested that I try it in the .270 WSM and it shot WELL, so I bought more ( One of the Few Powders that's, still avail,.. Today ! ). VhitaVouri's NEWER Batch of, N-170 is NOW, a Temp IN-sensitive Powder and works in, the .270 WSM and Data, IS avail, too ! I'm SOLD on 7.5 Pound Tikka's to Hunt with, and the Recoil ( UN-Braked) of the 140's, is Tolerable for me ! I Hunt area's, that have, very few, LONG Range, shot op's ( 650 -700 yard, Shots are, max ) Most of my Elk, killed in, Co, Ariz, and Idaho have been shot at,150 Yards or, LESS ! But, I "Practice" way, WAY, Further,.. just in, case !

Last edited:
Might want to, Call / Text, Berger as they've been more than Helpful for me !
I HAD a couple of Pounds of IMR 7828 Powder left over from, my 7 MM Rem Mag and my son suggested that I try it in the .270 WSM and it shot WELL, so I bought more ( One of the Few Powders that's, still avail,.. Today ! ). VhitaVouri's N-170 is NOW,.. a Temp IN-sensitive Powder and works in, the .270 WSM and Data, IS avail, too !
Ah, more good info! Thanks again IDlefty!

WHEN / IF, you ever shoot your .270 WSM Bbl out, you might want to, think about, RE-Barrel and Re-chambering for, the 7mm- .270 WSM with, the High BC's of the 168 to 184 grain, 7MM Bullets ( Still uses, the STRONG, .270 WSM Case but, "Necked up" to, 7 mm ).
Would be an Accurate / serious Long Range Elk, Thumper ! Draw back, the Heavier Bullets have, MORE,.. Recoil.
That Cartridge, is Popular, in Great Britain and Canada for, 1,000 yd Target.
Here, the .300 WSM rules, the 1,000 yd Target, "Roost".
A .270 WSM with, a 25" / 26", 1-8.3 Twist, Brux or, Bartlien bbl, launching, the 170 Berger, EOL'S would be, the "EZ Button", tho !

Last edited:
I dont recommend shooting game that far to everyone . I had 6 338's at one time and have countless hrs reloading and shooting to get comfortable to shoot game that far ! Seems like 1000 on steel was exciting ! Then 1400 yards in a Steel target match ! Wow I was pumped after I hit the target ! Now things kind of went crazy for me ! 1760 yards on a milk jug , 2053 on steel , then I jumped right out to 3027 yards . (1.72 miles ) 3 shots on a 36" x 36" steel target in a 26 3/4" group !
The 338 Edge and 300gr bergers have been Amazing to me !
I'm so glad i stumbled onto this Forum !
Its cost me alot of $$$ but it's worth it to me ! Also I have talked to and met a bunch of great guys here !
You set your goal and dont give up !
Practice , Practice , Practice is my best advice !

Rum Man

I dont recommend shooting game that far to everyone . I had 6 338's at one time and have countless hrs reloading and shooting to get comfortable to shoot game that far ! Seems like 1000 on steel was exciting ! Then 1400 yards in a Steel target match ! Wow I was pumped after I hit the target ! Now things kind of went crazy for me ! 1760 yards on a milk jug , 2053 on steel , then I jumped right out to 3027 yards . (1.72 miles ) 3 shots on a 36" x 36" steel target in a 26 3/4" group !
Its cost me alot of $$$ but it's worth it to me ! Also I have talked to and met a bunch of great guys here !

Rum Man
Crazy yardage! Sounds like good advice to me. I have a 1000 yd range not too far from home that I can utilize occasionally. I will definitely get comfortable there and then test shoot out west near my hunting elevation before I ever try shooting game at that yardage.

WHEN / IF, you ever shoot your .270 WSM Bbl out, you might want to, think about, RE-Barrel and Re-chambering for, the 7mm- .270 WSM with, the High BC's of the 168 to 184 grain, 7MM Bullets ( Still uses, the STRONG, .270 WSM Case but, "Necked up" to, 7 mm ).
Would be an Accurate / serious Long Range Elk, Thumper ! Draw back, the Heavier Bullets have, MORE,.. Recoil.
That Cartridge, is Popular, in Great Britain and Canada for, 1,000 yd Target.
Here, the .300 WSM rules, the 1,000 yd Target, "Roost".
A .270 WSM with, a 25" / 26", 1-8.3 Twist, Brux or, Bartlien bbl, launching, the 170 Berger, EOL'S would be, the "EZ Button", tho !
Huh, interesting. I never heard of that 7mm-270WSM. Interesting. I like your "EZ Button" though!

I wonder how a Carbon Fiber barrel would do. Are they stable and do they have the accuracy?

Rum Man
If you hunt elk with a 300 RUM, what is your barrel length, bullet, and powder for that if you will?

I have been using RL25 and 180 gr TTSX which have worked well for me on elk out to 450 yards, but I plan on going to 200 AB's for a little farther range.

Thanks

Last edited:
When you say "recommended 1500 lbs of energy" where does that number come from? If you talk to any bullet manufacturing company they will tell you their particular bullet performs to a certain minimum velocity. That's the only number to be concerned with. Obviously the greater the energy the better for game but it means squat with actual bullet performance. If I was looking at a bullet for long range performance for your rifle it would be the 145 eldx with a recommended 1600 ft/sec min. If you could get that eldx up to 3150-3200 you would have plenty of velocity to 1000. That would extend your range. Best wishes!

Recent Posts