Any data for 270 WSM with 150 gr AB, not ABLR

Westdreamer

I was going to try a reload for my mostly stock Tikka T3X Lite 270 WSM with 150 gr Nosler AB's, not ABLR. I know the AB 140's are great and there is all kinds of info for those, I am even currently loading and hunting with those. But I was thinking of the 150's for longer range energy for elk. I think the 150 AB's would be better than the ABLR's for when closer elk shots come up. Where I hunt though, some 700-900 yard cross canyon shot opportunities do come up.
I already have the longer magazine and bolt stop for this rifle and it has a long throat so I can load a longer COAL as needed. Stock barrel is 1:10 twist so I am limited to the 150 grain max bullet weight for stability.
I am probably just splitting hairs. It looks like I will only gain about 100 yards worth of the recommended 1500 lbs of energy. Maybe its not worth it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Does anyone have any thoughts or load data or info for the 150 AB's for the 270 WSM?

Thanks

I can't help you with, the 150's as I shoot, 140 AB's and 140 gr. Classic Berger's in my Tikka T-3 Lite.
But, try to find some, RL-26 or IMR 7828 as they are about, the 2 best Powders used to drive, BOTH weight, Bullets.
Berger "may" have, reloading Data for their, 150's and check Hogdon's Reloading for 150 grain Data, too !
Personally, I wouldn't use Nosler Data, as I almost wore out my Barrel with, their Data ( It was 4 grains UNDER, the Berger Data that, I was, using ).
Hopefully their Data is better, Now as, my Book is, an older one !
Good Luck !

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm missing something here. But if you go to nosler website they give info on reloading the 150 grain AB. If you gain a 100 yards that is probably better than a 10% and would seem fairly significant to me. Good luck and if my info isn't of any help I apologize.

@ Westdreamer,..
The .270 WSM, Kills,.. very well ! IT's very close to, the 7 mm Rem Mag with, 140 to 154 grain Bullets,.. IMO.
I've used both, the 140 Accubonds and recently, a 140 Classic Hunter to, Kill Elk with but, none of, them have been at, very Long, Range !
Berger and Nosler, says that, their Bullets will, "Expand / Mushroom" down to about, 1,800 FPS ( IIRC ), personally I use, 2,000 FPS as the END of, the "Range" for, most of, the Bullets that, I've used. That's 800 Yards Max. for, the 140 gr. Cl. Hunters W/ a BC of .528 and a starting, Muzzle Velocity of 3,185 FPS @ 6,500 Ft. Elev. ( I don't worry about, Ft lbs of, Energy ) Bullet Expansion and Penetration are my main concerns, THAT, and MY ability, to "Hit" the Elk in the Right spot from, Field Positions.
Judging, the Wind and getting a steady Hold, determine, MY Max. Distance. Some Days, it could be, 750 yds Other days, maybe, only, 350 yards.
A month and a half ago, I Shot, a 5 " dia, 700 yard, 5 shot group, Prone with, this load, in LIGHT Wind, a week later, the Wind was blowing 35-40 MPH where I practice, in the rolling hill, Desert country and 300-350 yards was a serious, "Challenge" to hit those, 10-11 inch dia. Steel Plates !
The 150 grain AccuBond, should kill about, as far as you can Hit an animal, with it, but the Accubond's BC Numbers, are NOT quite as high, as Nosler states ( I found that, the 140 gr. AB's, real BC # to be in, the .480-.482 Range ). I'd Test and Verify your Bullet at, several Distances to be, SURE.
I use, 65.7 Grains of, IMR 7828 SSC, F-215 Pr. with, the 140 gr. Bergers at, magazine length COAL, in my Tikka.
You should be, safe to start at, 59 to 60 grains of it with, the NAB 150's ( Longer Bearing Surf and Heavier bullet than, mine ) and "work up" at .2 to .3 tenths to, an Accurate / Safe Load.
Good luck and keep us Posted, on your progress !

Last edited:
Check your twist rate first. Some Tikka's had 1/11 twist IIRC. You will need 1/10 for the 150s.
I have shoot both AB and ABLR and they shot fine. The ABLR likes a bit of jump. RL-26 will be your Huckleberry.
I didn't know that about the twist. I will have to verify it for my gun. Thank you

Sorry if I'm missing something here. But if you go to nosler website they give info on reloading the 150 grain AB. If you gain a 100 yards that is probably better than a 10% and would seem fairly significant to me. Good luck and if my info isn't of any help I apologize.
All good DMJ. I just know there are people on this site with a ton of real world experience that are loading for the same gun and caliber I am. I just wanted to hear their experience and data in addition to the manuals.
Cheers

@ Westdreamer,..
The .270 WSM, Kills,.. very well ! IT's very close to, the 7 mm Rem Mag with, 140 to 154 grain Bullets,.. IMO.
I've used both, the 140 Accubonds and recently, a 140 Classic Hunter to, Kill Elk with but, none of, them have been at, very Long, Range !
Berger and Nosler, says that, their Bullets will, "Expand / Mushroom" down to about, 1,800 FPS ( IIRC ), personally I use, 2,000 FPS as the END of, the "Range" for, most of, the Bullets that, I've used. That's 800 Yards Max. for, the 140 gr. Cl. Hunters W/ a BC of .528 and a starting, Muzzle Velocity of 3,185 FPS @ 6,500 Ft. Elev. ( I don't worry about, Ft lbs of, Energy ) Bullet Expansion and Penetration are my main concerns, THAT, and MY ability, to "Hit" the Elk in the Right spot from, Field Positions.
Judging, the Wind and getting a steady Hold, determine, MY Max. Distance. Some Days, it could be, 750 yds Other days, maybe, only, 350 yards.
A month and a half ago, I Shot, a 5 " dia, 700 yard, 5 shot group, Prone with, this load, in LIGHT Wind, a week later, the Wind was blowing 35-40 MPH where I practice, in the rolling hill, Desert country and 300-350 yards was a serious, "Challenge" to hit those, 10-11 inch dia. Steel Plates !
The 150 grain AccuBond, should kill about, as far as you can Hit an animal, with it, but the Accubond's BC Numbers, are NOT quite as high, as Nosler states ( I found that, the 140 gr. AB's, real BC # to be in, the .480-.482 Range ). I'd Test and Verify your Bullet at, several Distances to be, SURE.
I use, 65.7 Grains of, IMR 7828 SSC, F-215 Pr. with, the 140 gr. Bergers at, magazine length COAL, in my Tikka.
You should be, safe to start at, 59 to 60 grains of it with, the NAB 150's ( Longer Bearing Surf and Heavier bullet than, mine ) and "work up" at .2 to .3 tenths to, an Accurate / Safe Load.
Good luck and keep us Posted, on your progress !
Do the Berger's hold together and penetrate if they go through an elk shoulder at close or far range?

Your tikka is 1-10 so you are more than okay to shoot the 150 AB . I shoot the 150 in my 270 wby and I used the 0.500 BC nosler claims and it was bang on out to 825 yards .
You should be able to get 3100 FPS with a 150 gr with RL26 ,RL23 . The 150 AB have a long bearing surface.

No Berger's do not hold together they are designed to expand violently after 2-3" of penetration and they are not meant to go through bone.
That is what I thought about the Berger's and is why I have been shying away from them. I know a lot of people like them though. Thanks

Your tikka is 1-10 so you are more than okay to shoot the 150 AB . I shoot the 150 in my 270 wby and I used the 0.500 BC nosler claims and it was bang on out to 825 yards .
You should be able to get 3100 FPS with a 150 gr with RL26 ,RL23 . The 150 AB have a long bearing surface.
Great to know! Thanks Trm82!
Now if I can only find some RL26 or RL23!
Does it even pop up for sale anymore?
I have some alerts set up but never see 23 or 26 pop up as in stock.
I did manage to snag some Retumbo for my 300 RUM from Brownells this morning!!!!!

Following!
I will be putting a 270 wsm together soon.

Rum Man
From what I have been reading, If I was building a 270 WSM, I think I would put a barrel on it with a twist around 1 to 8 or 1 to 8.5 for heavier pills around 160 to 170 grains. When my current barrel burns out, that is probably what I will do.