Any compelling reason NOT to use a Nucleus 2.0?

So on the long action, they say it is cut for CIP length magazines. Who makes bottom metal with a CIP-length magazine? My wildcat will end up seating right about 3.8" or so OAL. This means the CIP length is perfect. However, if I'm going to use an AG stock, I have limited options on inlets for bottom metal. Hawkins, Badger, or PTG M5 or HS DBM is it. Any recommendations on these?

Oh, and the case diameter is between an Ultra Mag and a .30-06. May have to modify the follower or magazine lips.

Use the Hawkins setup. I have it on numerous rigs and is a great setup. Redhawk Rifles has everything in stock.

Last edited:
I'm hearing lots of votes for HS bottom metal, but I didn't see any CIP-length mags available (at least where I've looked. Do they have a CIP-length 300 Win Mag-sized set up?
They list Magazine No. 7379 and 7382 for 300 WM.
I have the 7379 mag for my 28 Nosler and the inside length measures 3.696".

CIP drop right in a Bravo. For $450 they are a steal. When I don't have the coin for another McMillan or Manners, it's an easy choice to get a Bravo.

Well let me hold on... what bullet are you shooting and is it anywhere near the lands? The 28 and my wildcat are very close in length, but I have more free bore. According to my math taking into consideration the length of a Berger VLD 195gr EOL, I'm going to need a longer box. But my math may be off. Just wondering what you do in the 28. Obviously, yours fits the magazine.
They list Magazine No. 7379 and 7382 for 300 WM.
I have the 7379 mag for my 28 Nosler and the inside length measures 3.696".

Well let me hold on... what bullet are you shooting and is it anywhere near the lands? The 28 and my wildcat are very close in length, but I have more free bore. According to my math taking into consideration the length of a Berger VLD 195gr EOL, I'm going to need a longer box. But my math may be off. Just wondering what you do in the 28. Obviously, yours fits the magazine.
If your seating 3.800", your rounds won't fit in a CIP length magazine box either. The 3.850" that they list is external measurements. Internal length of a CIP length magazine box is around 3.770", manufacturer dependant, and you would need to seat a little shorter than that for reliable feeding.

I love the idea of the nucleus, and had one in order for over a year and a half in the form of a PVA John Hancock rifle that stayed in backorder until I finally cancelled and build off a tl3. From my understanding the inertia ejection is just a fancy terminology for a manual ejector, just like a tl3 or any other action that utilizes one. Good luck on the rifle build, you are going in a good direction.

I have a Gen1 and after messing around with the firing pin springs there's nothing else I'd change on it. It's a very high quality unit. I was one of the first to order when it came out. It's very cool design and the quality is excellent. Ted and Bella at ARC are great to chat with also. Call them and discuss the features.

I call mine my James Bond Rifle as the serial number is 007.

You beat me by a hair, my Gen 1 is #0036! Lol

I'm hearing lots of votes for HS bottom metal, but I didn't see any CIP-length mags available (at least where I've looked. Do they have a CIP-length 300 Win Mag-sized set up?
You'll probably need to use AICS style CIP mags. Accurate Mag sells a 3 round CIP length magazine for the 300 RUM that would give you the max OAL length without having a mag hanging too far below the stock. Then you just need to pick the CIP length bottom metal you like best.

My only real complaint with the Nucleus is that it's not compatible with a BDL style mag box or bottom metal. That's the only thing that's made me consider selling one of mine and replacing it with a Mausingfield.

You beat me by a hair, my Gen 1 is #0036! Lol

You'll probably need to use AICS style CIP mags. Accurate Mag sells a 3 round CIP length magazine for the 300 RUM that would give you the max OAL length without having a mag hanging too far below the stock. Then you just need to pick the CIP length bottom metal you like best.

My only real complaint with the Nucleus is that it's not compatible with a BDL style mag box or bottom metal. That's the only thing that's made me consider selling one of mine and replacing it with a Mausingfield.
Same here. I would go with a BDL design if available. Maybe in the 3.0...??🤣

Another issue I'll have is the follower and feed lips in any magazine the size we're discussing. Especially the Ultra Mag CIP (vs 300 Win Mag CIP - but diameter is close to the same at the belt, so I guess it's a wash). My case body is only half an inch. I tried running a 284 in a magazine box made for WSM 7-round and I had to bend the lips in at the top of the magazine to hold the cartridge in place. If I put more than 3 in the mag. Not sure if it will be as easy (actually was a bit of a pain to bend it right) depending on magazine. I guess what I'm forgetting is the magazines are independent of the bottom metal. There are multiple magazine types available for a given bottom metal... potentially.

Another option would be to buy a factory gun chambered for the parent case with a magazine made especially for the rough design. But I'm still in the same place with mag length. The parent case has .105" freebore and I'm going more than twice that. No way my rounds fit that magazine.

Single shot, anyone??🤣 (Actually only half kidding.)

I'm betting that you're working on a wildcat off of the 6.5 RPM case?

Using a CIP length, single stack, center feed mag for the 300 Win Mag or 300 PRC would be the best starting point. It's probably going to take some trial and error to get it dialed in though.

I'm betting that you're working on a wildcat off of the 6.5 RPM case?

Using a CIP length, single stack, center feed mag for the 300 Win Mag or 300 PRC would be the best starting point. It's probably going to take some trial and error to get it dialed in though.
You got it. Necked up and improved.

You got it. Necked up and improved.
Just emailed BAT Machine about a custom single shot for this project. Saving money on bottom metal is good, but will spend more than I save on a BAT action. Figured I may as well go ahead and explore my possibilities.

Also asked about a custom repeater in 30-06 length and Lapua bolt face for a wildcat off the 338 Norma (.358 version for putting big, tough critters down quickly). I've had the reamer and headspace guages for 5 - 7 years now and have made no progress toward putting the thing to use.

Use the Hawkins setup. I have it on numerous rigs and is a great setup. Redhawk Rifles has everything in stock.

I saw those last night. I was really eyeing the PTG model because I like the flush look better. Either will work with the AG stocks.