Any compelling reason NOT to use a Nucleus 2.0?

.300 Dakota

Awhile back I was asking for direction on an action for a 6.5 GAP and was steered to the Defiance XM length anTI X. Great, but that's close to a year's wait unless I get super lucky.

I have another project in mind now that requires a long action. Most of the work will be done practicing at the range. Outside of that, it will be a dedicated hunting rifle.

I decided to start looking at every possible action that seemed like it could be at my FFL's door before hot weather gets here. What I found was that there are hardly any long action, standard (.473") bolt face actions anywhere. Not only that, companies with lead times posted make an exception for that configuration listing it several weeks farther out than all other configurations. I'm guessing the demand isn't there? Most everyone either seems to favor a short action or a super magnum action for the Norma, Lapua, or Chey-Tac magnum cartridges. Leave it to me to be an oddball.

I decided to see what features I could get for the money on the lower end of the cost spectrum that could be had without a 4 - 12-month wait and I found 2 actions that I could get my hands on relatively fast in long action, standard bolt face: Kelbly Atlas and ARC Nucleus 2.0. (Not even a Stiller available for months in that configuration!) When I started reading the features on the Nucleus, I couldn't believe it wasn't $300 more or higher. I did read that the original Nucleus (not so long ago) had issues. Supposedly, the issues have been corrected in the 1.1 version, and now the 2.0 even further. So here's what I like about the Nucleus:

Slightly shorter bolt throw,
Controlled-round feed
Bolt head size interchangeability
Accepts Remington triggers
Fits in Remington stocks
Anti-bind bolt design
Zero cock-on-close
In theory, excellent alignment to bore from the contact of the points of the 3 lugs.
Accepts Savage small shank pre-fits (now I can use my Carbon Six .284 Win barrel for something besides a door prop since I'll be able to get a stock that works!)
Reported fast cycling
Ability to single feed the CRF bolt head.

What I don't like or am concerned about:

That darn gosh-awful looking bolt knob! (Yes, I know it's suppose to be a fast design used in competition, but not sure how well it will work for me in the field. And I personally find it unsightly (maybe it will grow on me?).

Inertia ejector? I can see the potential here for a failure-to-eject if trying to cycle very slowly (quietly) loaded round or spent case. Maybe I don't understand the mechanism fully, so this may not be an issue. More of a concern at this point from a standpoint of ignorance.

The 3 points of contact between the lugs and receiver. Yes, this was a theoretical plus listed above. It is described as 3 legs on a tripod. In all my years, I've been taught/told that we lap lugs to ensure MORE contact between bolt lugs and reciever. This seems to be just the opposite. Very little contact, the way it's described. It is a concern just because of what I've learned about accuracy and having MORE contact there.

Weight. It isn't super heavy, but isn't super light, either. About 34 ounces. Lighter would be better, but I could counter this with the right stock (thinking AG Composites if they inlet one that will work with the Nucleus action).

Extra bolt heads are costly.

Recoil lug and rail aren't integral (lug is "keyed"?? They explain how this works, but I need to see it to fully understand it). This isn't a big deal to me. I've hashed out the theoretical differences here before, but could never find any proof that all parts must be integral to achieve exceptional hunting accuracy. I just threw this in because I knew someone would be quick to point it out as a negative. And there isn't anyone who makes an action that I know of in the $1000 price range with all integral parts. I think that's what makes the more expensive actions more expensive.

Also on the Nucleus, I've read about something called the BARLOC system. I haven't seen how it works in detail, but apparently lets you change barrels super easy (like in the field). It is offered on this action by one supplier for a $150 upcharge. Does anyone that knows anything about this think it's a must-have? I mentioned using a 284 Win pre-fit barrel, but the real project is going to be a much more potent wildcat. And if that doesn't work out, who knows (probably a bolt head change to magnum and then more wildcatting). So there is a need for modularity.

Now, if I add the BARLOC and a magnum extra bolt head, I'm in the same money as the higher end Defiance actions. But I have more potential.

Does anyone who've used the Nucleus or know anyone who has have a compelling reason for me not to get a 2.0 vs the Atlas?

Thanks in advance.

I love mine. They make like 7 different bolt knobs but again I love mine.the knob really grew on me once I started using it.. no ejection issues slow fast or in between. Barloc never used it but it could be handy if you use non shouldered barrels or change a ton of times a month. I use a shouldered 6.5x284 from straight jacket arms.

I bought a Defiance like you are speaking of from Bugholes a couple days ago, but there is no reason not to use the Nucleus it is also a great action

I have a Gen 1.0 and a Gen 2.0 Nucleus.

You'll appreciate the bolt knob once you cycle the action. It looks a little goofy, but it works exactly how it was intended to. The shape of the knob will keep your hand out at the end of the handle where you have the most leverage. If you end up not liking the knob, there are a few places selling other styles.

The ejector works really well if you're trying to control where your brass goes. The extractor will hold the brass in the bolt head no matter how slow you work the bolt. This means that it's really hard to have a failure to eject the case. I haven't had a case slip out from under the extractor and stay in the action even when cycling the bolt extremely slow.

I don't have any issues with the 3 lug bolt, but it makes less sense on the Gen 2.0 action. The Gen 1.0 has a shorter bolt throw (70 deg), so the 3 lugs pay off. The Gen 2.0 has an 80 deg throw, which isn't really any better than some of the 2 lug actions out there. I haven't had any reason to complain about the lug engagement and both actions have been extremely accurate with a good barrel on there. I did have to swap the firing pin spring in both actions to get the bolt lift where I want it. The Gen 1 shipped with a light spring which caused ignition problems and the Gen 2 shipped with a heavy spring that gave a very heavy bolt lift. I went 19# springs in both and I've been happy ever since.

The scope rail is very secure and it's not going to move once it's torqued down. The recoil lug is keyed to fit into a slot in the rail. This takes away some of the hassle of getting it lined up when swapping barrels. I don't think having an integral rail or lug would make a meaningful difference in the performance of the action.

I'd skip the Barloc feature. You can order shouldered prefit barrels for the Nucleus from a bunch of different companies, which makes the Barloc a little pointless. Just use a barrel nut for any barrels you currently have and order any new ones as shouldered prefits. I swap shouldered barrels back and forth between my two actions with no issues.

So on the long action, they say it is cut for CIP length magazines. Who makes bottom metal with a CIP-length magazine? My wildcat will end up seating right about 3.8" or so OAL. This means the CIP length is perfect. However, if I'm going to use an AG stock, I have limited options on inlets for bottom metal. Hawkins, Badger, or PTG M5 or HS DBM is it. Any recommendations on these?

Oh, and the case diameter is between an Ultra Mag and a .30-06. May have to modify the follower or magazine lips.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the nucleus, but I wouldn't buy it solely on lead time.

First off, there are lots of places to pick up actions other than ordering from the manufacturer. I got an origin in about 2 weeks from Front Range Precision. Shameless plug, they were great. Big horn just launched a mid-length origin too, if you're still after mid length.

Second reason, a few years from know you won't care that you didn't have to wait, but you will care if you spent $1,000 and didn't get the action you really wanted.

The nucleus has been a popular action for a long time and can only speak about the very very short time of handling one (not shooting). While a nice action I much preferred the feel of my atlas tac. They also do shoulder barrels for them and can just replace the bolt for a different caliber.

I have a Gen1 and after messing around with the firing pin springs there's nothing else I'd change on it. It's a very high quality unit. I was one of the first to order when it came out. It's very cool design and the quality is excellent. Ted and Bella at ARC are great to chat with also. Call them and discuss the features.

I call mine my James Bond Rifle as the serial number is 007.

If you can find one with a similar lead time, I would also check out the archemides action....very similar, but an absolutely genius primary extraction design, that makes the only function of bolt lift to cock the firing mechanism, so smoother/lighter bolt lift, integral recoil lug (not a huge thing, but a thing nonetheless) and everything else the same as the nucleus, and only a minor step up in price. I talked with Ted a little bit, and I gotta say, the guy is an engineer first, rifle builder second, and evil genius third ha ha. I like the thought process behind his actions for sure!

On the ejector system, ya it's no problem, like a ruger but better. You can creep slow and just tip the cartridge out to grab by hand so it doesn't fly in the dirt, or run the action fast and wing that sucker out there.

Bolt knob is screwed on, so can be changed to lots of different styles.

While I haven't had one, I have heard that rifles built off his actions have been accurate, I was comfortable spending my money on one (if it would have been lighter....) and I haven't seen any issues with them personally, but again, haven't owned one.

The only reason I didn't go with the archemides on my new build is weight.....I needed a sub 28 oz action to make my goal on my build. So I ended up going with a Bat Vampire. More monies, but it was in stock at bullet central, and is a phenominal action. Speaking of that, here is a Bat HR long action, right hand, .308 bolt face actions, in stock, right now.....again, more monies, but in stock, and well.....it's a Bat, so you know it's awesome....

Last edited:
I love my Nucleus. It's been a hunter for 3 years in a KRG Bravo....... and you'll grow to love that bolt knob.

You're not giving anything up with any of the ARC actions.

I have an earlier gen 1 Nucleus and 4 barrels for it. I also bought the barloc system that allows me to use prefit Savage style barrels and VERY easily change barrels using an Allen wrench without disassbling anything else off the gun. The barloc system does add some degree of variability/ inconsistency in barrel installation and point of impact. My latest custom barrel is a shouldered barrel for utmost consistency.
I really like the bolt knob... so much that I made a similar one for my new CZ 457 practice rifle.
I have 3 boltfaces and ordered a fourth boltface for a 6mm ARC cartridge.
I use HS Precision bottom metal and mags in my long action. I add extensions to my mags for short cartridges like .223 so that I can practice/shoot virtually all cartridges in my gun up to my 28 Nosler.
I like the mechanical ejection. It's easy to eject brass close or far as you like.
Most of all, I like being able to shoot all cartridges from the same gun with the same stock, trigger and scope.

I'm hearing lots of votes for HS bottom metal, but I didn't see any CIP-length mags available (at least where I've looked. Do they have a CIP-length 300 Win Mag-sized set up?