Any Bugling near Chama yet?

I was hunting in 751 (about 25mi from there) a week ago. There was very little bugling. But your timing will be much better than mine, it should be a little cooler to get the rut started.

Thanks for the reply. I posted this question on three different Hunting Forums, and yours is the only response so far. Thanks again. We are getting 97 degree weather daily here, and it's hard to get in the hunting mode, but I'm hoping to get into some cooler weather soon. Thanks again !!

above 10000' got snow dusting last night in some areas, rut should kick off soon enough
lows for fox creek are 32 for low tonight, but climbing to 44 till tuesday, then another drop is expected--but that is on the flat land, not up in the hills, so I expect another 5 degree drop or so up on the hill from those numbers
my buddy has a cabin right off of 17 and frd250, hes out there bow hunting now but no cell service so I wont know a thing till he gets back-- he usually stays all the way through the end of first rifle so he wont be back till mid october--otherwise I could get some intell for you for that area, sorry

you headed to a certain area?

I have hunted the Chama area (private Ranches with same outfitter) for the last 29 years. The Colorado Ranch I hunted the last 3 years was in units 78/81 off of 17, turning at the Del Oso Pardo gate then going back about 8 miles into Colorado. The Ranch was right before the public campground, named Archuleta Ranch.
This year I am hunting the Gonzales Ranch about 10 miles West of Chama on 84/64. It's in NM, South of Chromo Mountain. I hunted the Quinlan Ranch since 1990 until the family sold it about 12 years ago. I am still hunting with the Quinlans, but on different Ranches in the area.

yup, mcIntyre, neff, trujillo, spruce hole, fox creek, etc all public lands for me--never been to the NM side though
I'm headed to a completely different area for 1st season this year though--81 is my OTC 2nd/3rd fall back at my friends cabin, got a 1st season draw elsewhere this year though

good luck, supposed to be early snow this year in the high country so it might get them talking and moving sooner this year

Thanks for the reply. I posted this question on three different Hunting Forums, and yours is the only response so far. Thanks again. We are getting 97 degree weather daily here, and it's hard to get in the hunting mode, but I'm hoping to get into some cooler weather soon. Thanks again !!

Your Welcome. I was at 11,000ft it was low 40s in the morning and 80s in the afternoon. We did bugle in several young bulls, but animals were only moving at first and last light.

I hunted the CO side of that area for a lot of years when we had horses with bow, rifle muzz. For 10 years or so in a row we would pack in a couple days before archery. There where always bulls bugling with herds of cows up high. They must start gathering them up early in August.

My experience on the oregon coast was that although the younger bulls may still be in velvet first part of season...the ol'timers were rubbed off earlier(not every time) than the little rags and were sneaking around scenting out cows......get that big bull interested early.....slap a stick thru him......they get sneaky later and take those cows to places I couldn't find them....

Heading up on Tues. last 3 years we've never heard (minus hunters) and chirps from cows. We've got 2 in the dirt past 3 years.

I will be in same area CO 81 leaving Wednesday. Buddy killed a bull opening weekend there and has been there ever since with a bear tag. talked to him last week and no bugling yet but should be any day if not already beginning. Be nice to get away from these high to mid nineties in Louisiana for sure.

I'll be bow hunting in Montana all week. Has been getting down in the 30's at night. If they are bugling here should be a good indication of what's to come in your area as the temperature drops. I'll keep you posted

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.