Any Base Maps Gurus well versed in remote marker capability?

med358-boise

Saw a you tube hunt video where distant gps coordinates were created from current position and compass heading and distance but can't find the feature. The only feature I have found uses the Camera function and the feature that I am looking for uses a compass function. Anybody know how to access it and what level of "pro membership" is required?

Here is a screen shot of an area I go to. Is this what you're talking about? I do have the Pro membership. You can click on a marker and information will come up on the screen about the marker. These are from my desktop.

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 9.15.01 AM.png

BaseMaps.png

If you're using your iPhone or iPad, click on the marker and the screen below will come up. In the upper right hand corner click on the 3 dots. A small insert will come up then click on the Go-To. Where ever you are, a straight line will show up to your destination along with the compass heading and some other information.

IMG_0973.png

There is also a way to go from the point of where you are to a marker on an offline map, similar to Google maps, but it does not show your route, only your approximate location to the marker. Your position does move as your driving/walking, it just doesn't show a guided marked route.

Hope this helps.

No, this not what I am talking about. I am talking about being in navigation and setting a distant point along the distance line on a bearing.

This is an interesting topic. I do use BaseMaps quite often. This video below shows navigating to a marker using the compass and distance line. Should you need to add another point along the route to your predetermined marker or your following the compass bearing and distance line without a marker, go to tools in the lower right hand corner "+", then click on "Add Marker".

It will take you back to the screen you were on, but the compass and distance line will not be shown. You will see where you are and then add the marker where you need it, and you can then click on the compass again and you will see the new marker as well as any others. I've use this feature last month and it worked out well.

Keeps us posted. I very interested in this as well.

Also, do a search on YouTube under Navigation with BaseMaps.

It may be you need to by the Pro version but not 100% sure. Right now my iPhone is on the fritz because the plain old Compass App isn't working either.

I just received this message from BaseMaps;

It sounds like this is referring to our Remote Markers. If you have a compatible Sig Sauer or Leica rangefinder, it can be connected via Bluetooth to drop remote markers. Alternatively, you can manually enter the range if you don't have a Bluetooth-connected rangefinder.
To access this, tap Tools > Remote Marker. Enter the range (or range on the Bluetooth-connected device) and you will see the NavCam, where you can get a visual of the object you are ranging, then tap Set; the NavCam was just added earlier this year, so the YouTube video may have been created before that feature was added. You can also return to the map by tapping the Map icon to add the marker using the compass and satellite imagery. Once you set the marker, you can adjust it if needed, then Save.

When you're in XDR Navigation mode, you cannot add a marker on the map along the distance line.

The Remote Marker feature requires a Pro subscription.

Sincerely,
BaseMap Support Team

I have not been able to get the Remote Marker function to work properly. I have a compatable Sig Kilo5k laser synced to BaseMap. But the compass reading from my phone does not transfer correctly to BaseMap.

So I'll open BaseMap, open Remote Marker, laser a target, take a "picture" using BaseMap's Remote Marker cross hairs, and the result is a marker that is ALWAYS off by about 10-30 degrees. Basically useless. BaseMap support basically says their software uses my phone's compass reading so it's my phone. I have a perfect condition Samsung S20+ phone. No amount of calibrating or re-downloading apps solves the Remote Marking function.

I have the same problem and it's about 15degree off all times. Phone looks pretty accurate compared to the old needle compass

To verify the binos/rangefinder was calibrated as well correct? I know on my Leica Geovid Pro binos if I don't calibrate them the GPS Markers can be off a decent amount as well with BaseMaps.

I've done a bunch of remote marker placement with my Sig 8K as well as manual distance entry with the same result at others. It just doesn't work. The concept is amazing, but reality is it doesn't work. The problem probably is the phone's compass (I have an Apple 12 pro). Not sure if there's anything BaseMap can do, but it will take better compass/azimuth technology for this function to be useful. I'd love to be able to drop an accurate remote pin on a bedded animal, then circle around and stalk the "pin". Hopefully it comes around someday.