Any advice for a Remington 700 magnum extractor

Doesn't the installation of a Sako or M-16 type extractor compromise the vaunted "Three Rings of Steel"?
Yes. The Sakos are probably the more concerning because they tend to be the weaker of the 3 options being talked about. Mini 16/m16 are more complicated to install, but hold up well to high pressures.

Doesn't the installation of a Sako or M-16 type extractor compromise the vaunted "Three Rings of Steel"?
When the bolt nose of a 700 is original from the factory, if an extreme over pressure happens the rim of the nose, where the extractor is, expands to meet the counter bore in the barrel, supposedly sealing that side and forcing the pressure out through the barrel. When the cut is made to convert to a Sako or M16, that void for the aftermarket extractor, creates a place for excess pressure to exit towards the shooter, instead of making a "seal" with the counterbore in the barrel counter bore. Thus, "compromising" the "3 rings of steel".

I don't see an issue installing Sako extractors. The gas port hole in the body of Remington bolt is there to re-direct any escaping gas DOWN into the magazine area. It is does it's job well, I had a locked bolt and blown case head in my Edge early on and that had a Sako style extractor fitted. Extractor had to be replaced, but no other damage.
Had to replace a factory extractor on my 700 LR due to pinholed primers, which was my last one about 6 months ago. Had to replace the entire bolt in the end.

Cheers.

Recent Posts