Any accuracy difference between push feed and CRF actions?

@pistol packin preacher coming through the door like this….

C180-A3-C8-8-AD0-475-D-9-E84-915-AE34-A2452.gif
ShoNuff

Thanks guys! My thinking as well. I appreciate the reassurance! Sinking a lot into a build just want to make sure I do it right.
Choosing a Crf is definitely doing it right! I've got customs on Montana 99's, Win 70's, Ruger 77's and had plenty of Mauser 96&98's. All have shot just as good as my Tuebor, Lone Peak, Curtis and defiances. I think crown and chamber job has more impact on accuracy than any action choice out there.

Upon swooping the round up from the CF magazine & slamming round & bullet into the angled load ramp to position the round for entry into the chamber there is a possibility that the bullet might acquire some runout or the nice sharp tippy (meplat) might be damaged. Snapping a CF extractor over a case rim might be problematic. If quick positive feeding is not required, I like a push feed & prefer to finger insert the nice perfectly formed round carefully into the chamber. Never seen bench rest guys load & shoot from magazine. I can't see any round alignment problem caused by the PF ejector pushing on round with a properly sized case.

IMG_1418.JPG

This is a modification of one of the first runs of the Ruger 77 MK II that was a push feed. tapped .25X28 thread hole (same as Rem 700) front guard screw holds rifle in stock. Works great for LR rodents but not for running deers in forest. I periodically check out pawn shops & LGS looking for another PF M77 MKII for a 6mm CM project.

Wrong answer. I have hunted a lot in Alaska and Zimbabwe. There have been many instances of failures from push feed rifles with disasterous results. You will be hard pressed to find a model 700 or A Bolt in the hands of a professional hunter or those of us who have hunted these places more than a couple of times. This said, a push feed is probably just fine for backyard whitetail hunters and of course many, many animals are killed quite dead with push feed rifles. I just prefer the "better mouse trap" because I can and know the difference. Most don't really understand how the two mechanisms are vastly different.
Thanks for setting me straight. I feel quite lucky to have never been killed or even mauled yet.

This will help your understanding of some of the differences between them, as it pertains to ejection systems.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Interesting! I have your system. I haven't gotten into my reloading my new rifle yet. One more item, and I think I have it put together. What I will be doing is fireforming my brass at the start with bullet contact to the lands as first load. Now I haven't check those case yet. Discover a problem and have to cut the thickness down another 1/2th or so. Shortly I will be continuing the fireforming of cases. I was going to do 100 cases to start with. I am cutting that back to 20 cases for now. I am changing a 280AI case into 6mm/280AI chamber, so there a lot of work to get there.
An item that has came up on another blog is. Neck length to chamber length. It's been stated that should be within a .001 or so.
In setting up to cut my necks to thickness of .013" I found that the case length varied about .006". Trimed my cases to all the same length. Then cut the neck for thickness. Most of the case were under spec. so I cut to the shortest dimension. Not that I want too, but felt that concentricity was better than mixed case lengths. Set up a stop placed so all case are the same to cut for thickness and doesn't cut into the shoulder at the same, and not by eyeball either.
As things goes, I learn more here all the time.
So I will watch the shoulder length.

With hunting most North American game, (big bears being the exception) the concern is less about being charged of course, but of a rifle getting jammed up in the excitement of one's trophy of a lifetime getting away after a wounding or clear miss shot. Those who say they never have done either are only proving that they have not hunted very much yet. One thing I admire about Craig Boddingtons writings is that he often admitted his missed or wounding hits, talked about how they happened, and what he changed, if anything, to try to be better in the future. Boddington has taken more game than most of us will ever even lay eyes on in our entire life and at ranges near and far.

And even if one does not really NEED a CRF, fixed ejector, claw extractor, mechanically advantaged extraction as the heart and soul of one's rifle, we do not really NEED a lot of the things we insist on when it comes to out gear. Why NOT start out with the better action as the heart of an expensive build?

On that topic, there have been hunters in the recent past and perhaps still living who have taken FAR more game than any of us ever will carrying nothing more advanced that a Savage model 99 in 300 Savage with a Stith, 7/8ths inch tube, 3x scope. Need has little to do with what we wealthier American hunters choose and prefer to hunt with.

The pure raw accuracy potential being equal, I can think of no reason why one would not choose to start with the better, in may ways, action. When I begin a build, I much prefer to make each component the very best I can get. Since there is zero reason not to start with a Model 70 or nicely tuned Mauser, why not?
My .02, hunt with what you like and have fun!

If you hunt "long range", why would you need CRF ? A'int like that Elk is gonna run 700 yards and gore you.

There has yet to be a documented incident of any hunter being killed because he used a pusg feed rifle.

A lot less expensive to build an accurate rifle with a floating push feed bolt head. Savage shooters know that.
Yep! That's why CZ went to push feed. Cost less to make!

Yep! That's why CZ went to push feed. Cost less to make!
You speak truth. Push feeds are 1) Cheap and easy to make and 2) easy for backyard 'gunsmiths' to work on and modify. The Remington model 700 is the gun worlds version of the small block chevy motor. A big Hemi is a better engine, but small block chevy's and copies thereof are common, relatively inexpensive and aftermarket parts are everywhere so they are "everymans" hot rod just as model 700's and clones thereof are "everymans" rifle build platform. I eschew being or following "everyman" and prefer to be a little different and if possible, better.

Recent Posts