Any 35 Cal fans out there?

Had a few. Sold a few. If you think the .358 W is not a kicker, you have not touched a 250 factory off in a 99 Savage. I do regret selling two. A custom Mauser and a custom pre-64. The 225 Sierra BT is THE deer bullet in the .358 Winchester.

i have a 35 Whelen in a Remington 7600 pump-action. It is a fine looking rifle in walnut and polished blue and it shoot just fine for big game hunting here in Arizona. I took a cow Elk with it a couple years ago, one shot kill at about 75 yards. Animal was hit upper lungs/heart and went about 15 yards then piled up. I had used Federal 225 grain Trophy bonded bear claw ammo. Since then I have developed a mild load using 200 grain round nose bullets intended for the 35 Remington ammo, The 7600
shoots these quite well and makes the rifle a fun shooter. The Factory stuff is pretty stout on both ends. Even my mild loads smack a gallon milk jug like little else including magnums. I think it has to do with the fat bullet.

Here's the rifle I built it's a Kimber Montanna in 35sambar , lothar walther chrome moly barrel cerokoted black , fantastic setup that shoot well
jHtOcWB.jpg

8xn9OHu.jpg

What brass are you sambar guys sizing up from 325 wsm? Getting me even more interested than I was which was already a T-ton!
Yep I'm using Bertram brass 325wsm , easy as single pass through the press and they fireform perfect after the first use . If you look at the two cartridges in the pic the woodliegh RNSP case hasn't been fired yet but the Barnes case is on its second shot and has sharp shoulder makes not noticeable difference in accuracy either

I had a Parker Hale 243 that I bought second hand in the late 1970's. I bought a 35 Whelan barrel (in the silver) from Gun Parts Corp and converted it over in the late 1980's. I was using 200 gn Remington core lokt with 52.5 gr of AR2206 to get 2400 fps on Sambar. These projectiles gave me 98% weight retention and a doubling of diameter on animals with most projectiles found under the skin on the far side. None of them went real far after being shot either with no animals being lost. Sadly 2206 is no longer available, so I have moved to 51.5 of AR2208 and Nosler 225 Accubonds at 2370 fps. Am waiting to see how they really perform, once one is stupid enough to stand in front of me for more than a poofteenth of a second. They do work well at the range, but that proves little! I do love my 35 Whelan and I will work up loads for the 200gn RN with the new powders when I get the chance. Once I have used up all of those remaining 200 grainers I will get to try some of these new fangled projectiles. The fun never ends.

Yep I'm using Bertram brass 325wsm , easy as single pass through the press and they fireform perfect after the first use . If you look at the two cartridges in the pic the woodliegh RNSP case hasn't been fired yet but the Barnes case is on its second shot and has sharp shoulder makes not noticeable difference in accuracy either
Same, Bertram 325

I like the 35's. Have a 358 Hoosier (Win). I'm currently negotiating a trade for a 358 STA. I've taken a handful of deer with the 358 Hoosier (Win) and it thumps em. Not sure I want to mess with getting brass/dies for the 358 STA though. I have a lot of magnums based off of 375 H&H (264 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H & H) already so not sure I even need the 358 STA...

I built my .358 W's with Douglas premium Winchester Featherweight profile barrels with 1 in 12" twists. Loading 158-grain pistol bullets with Unique gave a plinking load that would allow shooting the thumbtacks out of a target at 50 yards. Great for squirrels, too, but head shots only.

358 Norma mag with 225 TSX FB Barnes. End to end on a coyote, a couple deer, 2 cow elk, and a 9' bear. It's one and done. Only recovered 1 bullet and it went through the bear diagonally and stopped under the hide on the far side. It was a perfect Barnes mushroom. Step a 300 win mag case through a 338 sizing die and then your 358 and you've got the right case. The elk and deer folded up like a card table. The bear didn't go 3' It's a wonderfully effective cartridge. Easy to load, it thumps, mine's accurate and the recoil isn't punishing.
How much work to size a 338 win mag?

I have 3 35 cal rifles. 35 Whelen, 358 Winchester and 35 Remington. I'm shooting 225 gr Accubonds and 225 gr Barnes TSX in the Whelen and 358, and 200 gr Sierra game kings in the 35 Remington. I've killed about a dozen deer between the three rifles. And all deer either dropped on the spot, or never ran more than 20 yards. The round is very accurate, and is devastating on game.Ive only found 1 bullet from deer and it was from the 35 Remington, and it mushroomed perfectly, the rest were pass throughs, meat loss has been low. I've never taken the Whelen or the 358 for elk, I usually take a 300 Weatherby just because the shots can be long. I'm a big fan of the 35 calibers just due to the devastating effects it has on the game, and also the accuracy on all three rifles has been fantastic. What I like about the Whelen is that with 225 gr Accubonds, they are about as flat shooting as the 30-06 with 180 gr bullets but hits harder and penetrate deeper. I know they're not long range rounds, but anything under 400 yards is in trouble with the Whelen. When I final go to Africa, the 35 Whelen will be coming with me. Any other fans out there?
We live in the mountains of NW Montana and 35's are the Go to cal's in our house. Bears with attitudes abound, from black to brown. We have mostly quick action guns for deep mountain woods where we live (Remington 7600's, and Marlin 336's). 200-225TSX and TTSX are the main diet for the whelen's and 358's. From claw range to 400yds they are deadly. The 35 Rem is a good tote rifle as well and will surprise you on power/penetration with the right projectiles. The open country game guns are the usual suspects, 7mm's, 270's, 280's, but where woods are thick and things get up close and quick, 35's and the occasional 12ga are truly all that go outside with us. I'm sure some would disagree, and where another man's hide is concerned that truly becomes their decision. As for me and my house, the 35's handle anything, anywhere, every time.

I have a 358 RUM that I have shot many times but never hunted with it, I don't see or feel any difference between my 338 Edge and 375 Rum. The blank was with a bunch of other blanks that I bought as a lot, and that is what I decided to do with it.
I shoot 180gr TTSXs behind 108gr of RL17 and get Varmint gun speeds it's a hoot to shoot but I have not put it to practical use at least not yet.

Dean

PS: I just realised why I never take it hunting, it's a 33 inch 1.250 Dia bull barrel and weighs 9.8 pounds by itself. It does redeem itself though by launching those 180s at over 4000FPS.

PPS: It's a Remage if anyone is mildly interested. I almost ran out of tailgateLOL
IMG_0262.jpg

Last edited:
There was a guy on another forum I used to spend time on that lived and hunted Alaska with a 350Rem Mag. I don't remember the rifle used but he had posted many pictures of Moose, Black, Brown, and Grizzly bears, Musk Ox, Caribou, and others. He would always say it would put them down as quick as the 338 Win Mag.
I have been looking for an older left handed 30-06 for several years that I can send off to JES and have it rebored to 35 Whelen or Brown Whelen.