Any 35 Cal fans out there?

I run a 358 and love it. I was using Barnes 225gr tsx but I don't think I was getting proper expansion with the lower velocity with that heavy of pil. Switched to hammer 180 gr. Haven't killed with it yet but I like the big open tip on the hammer bullet.

I have 3 35 Whelens, I have a 35 Whelen Mauser 98, Remington 7600 35 Whelen, Remington 750 in 35 Whelen I love all three of them, I forgot my wife has a Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Remington, they all shoot great we shoot factory ammo and kill plenty of deer with them

I had a .350 Rem Mag, Mod 700 for a few years, until it was stolen when our home was robbed. I really liked it, I started looking for another and the only one I could find was a Remington custom shop, Model 7 with kevlar stock and 20 inch barrel. I mounted a Burris Signature 1.5x6 scope on it, and took it to the range to sight in. The first shot, I was reminded of a saying and old outfitter I worked for had, it kicked like a "goosed mule"! I didn't shoot another shot until I had an opportunity to drop it off at Gentry's shop in Belgrade, Mt and have one of his fine brakes installed. This tamed it down enough to sight it in. I worked up a reload with W748 powder and a 225 gr Partition that was very accurate, close to 2700 fps. It was my timber rifle and a few elk were taken at close range with it. It didn't seem to matter where they were hit, they didn't go far. I did take a bull at 400+so it can reach out a bit too. I sold it a few years ago, can't jump logs anymore.

The apple of my eye is a .35 Whelan Remington 760 pump. With help from a replacement spring kit, I reduced the trigger pull weight to one pound, but it is still creepy. I would have been happy with 2 pounds, but one pound is what it is. I found the 225 TSX Barnes most amazing when powered by IMR-8208. I tried R-17 (which produced so much of a velocity advantage in the .375 H&H), VV-N550 (which screams in the .338-06 Ackley with the same weight bullet, R-15 which is a heavy bullet .30 staple and has excellent stability. Varget is accurate but it will not produce velocities comparable to 8208. Accurate Hunter is neither as fast or accurate. I like the Hodgdon website data because it shows actual pressures along with velocities. Again the advantage of IMR-8208 is it produces out of this world velocities while still being more temperature stable than the Canadian made IMR series, Swedish, Finish VhitaVuori or Belgian powders. Your bolt gun will tolerate more pressure than my pump.

I also shoot Accurate 5744 behind the Sierra 170 Tournament MK pistol bullet for practice. I can shoot at .35 Remington velocities and suffer less recoil abuse.

I recently bought a swell Marlin in 35 cal. Gun is JM marked, and drop dead beautiful. Have not found a single box of ammo yet. Will not be reloading in the near future. Any suggestions welcome. Favorite factory loads?? I will need loading information for later. As much as I love iron sights, I MAY end up scoping the gun. My 60 year old eyes ain't what they used to be! Love this websight and all those who chime in here!!

I recently bought a swell Marlin in 35 cal. Gun is JM marked, and drop dead beautiful. Have not found a single box of ammo yet. Will not be reloading in the near future. Any suggestions welcome. Favorite factory loads?? I will need loading information for later. As much as I love iron sights, I MAY end up scoping the gun. My 60 year old eyes ain't what they used to be! Love this websight and all those who chime in here!!
I've had good luck with the Hornady Leverevolutions and the Remington 200 gr Round nose. But my Marlin also shot the Winchester and Federal 200 gr fairly well also, enough where that was the only ammo that I could find it would not have been a problem.

Im kind of a 35 guy myself. I have a 700 in 350 rem mag. I loaded mine 225 grain woodleigh round nose bullets. Shooting a bit over an inch at 200 yards. The rifle was my fathers and is in real nice shape so I only take it out once or twice a hunting season when the weather is nice but have yet to make a kill with it. Only gripe is ammo is hard to come by and forming brass from other cartridges is time consuming.

I built an AR-10 in 358 Win a couple of years ago. It'll stack the 225 Sierra Game King into one hole at 100 yards at over 2300 fps out of a 20" bbl. Using Varget and a CCI LR primer the SD is 7.81 FPS.

Yep, found of them too! Have taken deer with 35 REM, 358 Win and 35 Whelen. My first deer was with a Marlin in 35 REM 52 years ago. Still have that rifle. Have a couple of 35 whelens and a couple of 358 wins. Shoot 225g SGKs in them. Use the Hornady LE in the 35 REM.

hmmm, not a 358 fan, but I have a 35 Winchester... yup that old forgotten lever gun cartridge from the 1940's and 1950's. I am partial to the 375's. I do have a couple of 35 caliber wildcats in my shop a friend asked me to scrub up. they are made out of a RUM case. I am not sure what they are. The barrels just say 358 M.D. on them. I should ask him what they are. the rounds look impressive and a bit like something you would find in Africa or Alaska.

I run a 358 and love it. I was using Barnes 225gr tsx but I don't think I was getting proper expansion with the lower velocity with that heavy of pil. Switched to hammer 180 gr. Haven't killed with it yet but I like the big open tip on the hammer bullet.
6C02ECB1-2C91-4B76-804E-6DA9C4F890BD.jpeg

I built an AR-10 in 358 Win a couple of years ago. It'll stack the 225 Sierra Game King into one hole at 100 yards at over 2300 fps out of a 20" bbl. Using Varget and a CCI LR primer the SD is 7.81 FPS.
Did similar, but set for 200 FTX bullet
20" barrel, adjust the gas block to suit the load
Takes a cold heart not to smile shooting this one at the range👍😁

Recent Posts