Any 35 Cal fans out there?

We live in the mountains of NW Montana and 35's are the Go to cal's in our house. Bears with attitudes abound, from black to brown. We have mostly quick action guns for deep mountain woods where we live (Remington 7600's, and Marlin 336's). 200-225TSX and TTSX are the main diet for the whelen's and 358's. From claw range to 400yds they are deadly. The 35 Rem is a good tote rifle as well and will surprise you on power/penetration with the right projectiles. The open country game guns are the usual suspects, 7mm's, 270's, 280's, but where woods are thick and things get up close and quick, 35's and the occasional 12ga are truly all that go outside with us. I'm sure some would disagree, and where another man's hide is concerned that truly becomes their decision. As for me and my house, the 35's handle anything, anywhere, every time.
Took me awhile to find the pics, but here's an early hike in the mountains across from my house near Kalispell MT. Notice the 7600 carbine 35 Whelen I'm carrying. Lightweight, easily maneuverable in tight/thick country. Some don't like to carry long guns on hikes, I simply consider it an arm workout as well as legs and cardio😃

Attachments

• 537A0DE5-271D-45D2-94B0-0DEBF34A360D.jpeg
    537A0DE5-271D-45D2-94B0-0DEBF34A360D.jpeg
    13.5 KB · Views: 114
I grew up in NE PA and the 35 Rem was KING. My father in law purchased a used 35 Marlin GIUDE gun with ported barrel all from the factory in 2000. It was used and almost in mint condition. I put a custom Packmyer recoil pad on it, and williams pipe sites glow. I said if you ever thing of selling it I want first dibs since I put the work and materials for free. He never shot it and sold it and without me knowing sold for $400 four years ago. It's like with close to $2K. There were only several hundred models made.
BEST DEER AND BLACK BEAR CARTRIDGE RIFLE!!!

Im also a 35 cal fan. Ive got a 350 rem mag in a 673 guide gun and Im currently shooting 225 grain gamekings out of it and my other 35 cal rifle is a 360 Imperial Magnum in an imperial magnum corporation rifle which were a sako TRGS-995. I would call it a 700 yard rifle, after that the bullet almost fall straight back to earth.

I had a 358 Norma Magnum for a handful of years. Pushed the 225gr Nosler Partition at 3030 fps from a 26" barrel. It was a good rifle and very accurate. Worked well at fairly long range 600-ish yards or under. Big downfall of the 35s is the lack of any good long range bullets. But they are great killing machines within their limits.

Have since moved on to 338 cal with bigger bore rifles due to much better bullet selection

Last edited:
I have a 35 Whelen and a 358 Winchester; both made on my old Craftsman lathe from 35cal barrel blanks from Shilen. I only hunt white tails and these will put them in the freezer every time. I also built a 358/300 RUM fill out my suite of RUM cartridges: 300RUM, 338 EDGE, 358/300 RUM, 375 RUM and 416/300 RUM. It is a great hobby.

Do any of you load pistol bullets for plinking or small game in your 35s ?
I like the BLR in .358 Win for bush hunting, need a grouse load for fools hen.
I drove Hornady 158-grain JSP's with Unique and head-shot a lot of gray squirrels with my .358 SR Mauser. 1/4 piece of toilet paper seated on the powder with a pencil eraser. With this load, off a bench I could shoot 4 thumb tacks out of a target at 50 yards and watch it float to the ground. THAT was a long time ago back in central PA.