Any 30BR shooters here?

Deputy819

Hey all! I've searched this forum for 30BR info and there's not much here on it. There's a pretty good write up on this chambering over on 6mmBR.com, but I'd sure like to hear about it from some of you guys on this forum who are familiar with it. I've got a custom .243 target rifle that I'm tossing around the idea of turning into a 30BR at some point in the near future. The Douglas barrel that's currently on the rifle is still shooting spectacular with @ 700 rounds through it, but I'm starting to think ahead of what to do when the time comes. Thanks Gents!

I've been real tempted to do one in a pistol as if trimmed to min length it should meet my legal requirements for deer.
I really want a 6br cause I'm a mark for 6mm

Hey all! I've searched this forum for 30BR info and there's not much here on it. There's a pretty good write up on this chambering over on 6mmBR.com, but I'd sure like to hear about it from some of you guys on this forum who are familiar with it. I've got a custom .243 target rifle that I'm tossing around the idea of turning into a 30BR at some point in the near future. The Douglas barrel that's currently on the rifle is still shooting spectacular with @ 700 rounds through it, but I'm starting to think ahead of what to do when the time comes. Thanks Gents!

Boringly accurate when using very slow twist barrels and very light, for caliber, bullets. I make my own 109 Gr. 7 ogive bullets and shoot them in a 17 twist Lilja 3 Gr. barrel. H4198, N133 are good powders to use.

Boringly accurate when using very slow twist barrels and very light, for caliber, bullets. I make my own 109 Gr. 7 ogive bullets and shoot them in a 17 twist Lilja 3 Gr. barrel. H4198, N133 are good powders to use.
Now we're talkin! Did you use the Robinette reamer? What method do you use to neck up your brass? Do you turn the necks?

The BR case is a fun case to deal with. Small appetite, good brass and other components and usually lot's of info to help you along the way. Plus, whether 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm or 30 cal., they are incredibly accurate.
I love my 6BR.

Modified specifically for your 109gr 7 ogive bullets?
Modified from a 1 degree 45 Min lead angle. Robinette reamer is a .330 ND with .108" free bore. Mine is a .331 ND with .050" FB. I went .331 because my Hunter Class 308 reamer is .331 and I could leave my neck turner set on one setting for both cartridges. I shot both the FL 308 and the 30 Doggie (308x1.8") in the Hunter class when they had a minim- um case capacity rule. Under the old rules (pre-30BR) Hunter class cartridge cases had to hold at least 28 Gr. of water. The same as a 30-30 Win. case.

I have been shooting a 30BR at groundhog matches for nearly 15 yrs now. Mine is a Nesika action, Bartlien 1-8 twist barrel, topped with a NF 12-42x . It has a dipped Edge stock, Jewel trigger and shoots lights out. Have tried all the powders, keep coming back to 34.5 grs of H4198 with a 118 gr, Cheek bullet.

The biggest surprise about the 30BR is barrel life. My Bartlien has almost 3500 pills down the pipe and still shoots well. Some shooters say their barrels shoot tight groups after 5K rounds. Rifle was smithed by Sid
Goodling. I recomend the Robinette reamer Eddie mentions.

PS I started shooting IBS back in 2002. I remember Eddie Harren (he is a gunsmith) and his wife Sarah - both great shooters!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts