Any 22 grendel guys

Your 22 250 was shooting 69 at 3300, sounds very conservative

22 inch factory barrel. Everything I have shot ran slow compared to book. 69 smk and tmk, 68 hornady, 60 grain vmax, 53 varmageddon. Not surprised with the shorter barrel. For whatever reason the 60 grain tmk ran reasonably fast (150 fps faster than 60 grain vmax). Will see how they do on yotes this year. I fear big exits but we will see. I do know two medium sized rock chucks lined up will result one heck of a mess.

Small update, somewhat off topic. Cracked some yotes with the 60 TMKs yesterday. Results as follows.
10 twist 22/250. Muzzle velocity 3655 average.

Coyote 1: 311 yards. Broadside. POI crease of the shoulder. Bang Flop, no twitch that I saw but I wasn't looking really. If I know a yote is down I am watching for more coyotes not ogling the one on the ground. Exit wound was about 2 inches.

Coyote 2: Approx 100 yards, Broadside, POI crease of shoulder, bang flop with no observed twitch, small dime sized exit.

Coyote 3: 549 yards. Broadside, POI right on or just behind the diaphragm (too far back). Coyote ran 100 yards and laid down in a small wash. Dime sized exit. Walked over and gave a finisher at 40 yards to the back of the head with the predictable graphic results.

Coyote 4: Approx 100 yards, straight on, bang flop with no observed twitch. No exit.

Coyote 5: Approx 50 yards, coyote turned right as I shot and bullet raked its side. Yote did the death spin for 20 yards and had a 3 inch tear. Can't blame the bullet on this one obviously.

Coyote 6: 318 yards, broadside, POI pretty much dead center of rib cage, Coyote did a death run for made 40 or 50 yards, 2 inch exit.

Coyote 7: 564 yards. I screwed up, remembering yote #3, I gave a touch more windage. Looked like the impact was low and forward on the shoulder. Yote was laying down so it was hard to tell. Looked until dark but was unable to recover.

Based on the obviously small sample size, I am pleased with the terminal performance. In terms of saving fur, it looks like you better own a needle and some thread. These were norther border dogs however, I would expect exit holes on small southern yotes may be rather large.

Conclusion: yesterday was good day, saw 11, shot at 7, recovered 6.

No pics, we have seen dead coyotes before.

5 more today
Forgot the rangefinder (its always something, at least I brought the gun) and the shooting was was sloppy.

All yardages are guesstimates

Yote 1. 200 yards. Broadside, POI top of shoulder. Bang Flop. 2 inch tear. Mangy dog so oh well.
Yote 2. 100 yards. Broadside, crease of shoulder, Bang Flop, 2 inch exit.
Yote 3. 200 yards. Broadside, POI top of shoulder, Bang Flop, 3 inch blow out.
Yote 4. 50 yards. Straight one, Bang Flop, nickle sized entrance, no exit.
Yote 5. 50 yards (was 10 yards from #4 when #4 got hosed). Broadside. POI rear shoulder. 20 yards of circle spin. 3 inch entrance, no exit. Saw the splash in the scope, knew right away it was a splash.

Earlier took a buddy out and called one for him. 7mm STW. Not pretty.

Yotes 2-5 where all on the same stand. First time getting 4 at once for me. Naturally I was a mile from the truck. Not a fun drag.

Also, plotted a group on a rock face at 615 yards. 3 shots, sub 1/2 MOA. For accuracy and flat killing critters, I love this bullet. Starting to think I have enough data to assume its going to consistently be a little rough on hides.

Lastly, this has been one heck of a streak. In the last 11 sets I have seen 17 coyotes. Counting buddy's yote, we have shot at 13, hit 13, and recovered 12. Total rounds fired 14 counting a finisher shot.

I have been running my 22 grendel with alexander brass made by hornady, necked down ro .224, running a 69 sierra tmk at 3300fps with 30.6 grains of cfe 223 and a cci small rifle magnum primer.

Finally got my thermal and have been going out at least 1 time a week for the past few weeks and getting these dogs knocked down. That tmk does a goooood job, usually 1 and done.
Ranges from 50 to 250 yards so far.

Attachments

• 20200105_032649.jpg
    20200105_032649.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
  • 20200105_032627.jpg
    20200105_032627.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 140
  • 20200101_065847.jpg
    20200101_065847.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 129
  • received_577307886179098.jpeg
    received_577307886179098.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • 20191221_013648.jpg
    20191221_013648.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 173
I run hornady/ Alexander arms which was made by hornady. It has been working well for me.

Slapped my day scope on the other day, torgued it down and went to check zero and shot these 4 shots prone no bag, 69 tmk at 3300fps

Attachments

• 20200124_150714.jpg
    20200124_150714.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 146
Have hunted coyotes for many years, have mostly shot bolt guns, but getting the thermal itch and wanted something that could get some shots of at night fairly quick as there is lots of dogs on a ranch i have access to.
I had a 22 grendel from balwin gunworks in Illinois done. Suppressed i am running a 69 grain tmk at approximately 3300fps with accuracy. I plan to use this on some dogs this winter as well as maybe some wolves here in idaho.

What are your guy's experiences with the 69tmk on dogs and if you run a 22 grendel what loads have you played with

What are the stats on the bbl length/twist and powder/charge wt?

Calib, I have hunted and killed coyotes for a long time. For a 22 Grendel, I would not opt for a Heavy bullet for a couple of reasons, trajectory and jacket failure to open quickly. A couple of 55g bullets have worked very, very well for us and one 60g bullet.

55g Sierra, any but the blitz kings, they are too explosive
55g Sierra lead tip blitz is in a class by it's self in massacring a coyote around 3400-3500 fps***I can not stress this enough
Toughest of the 55g is the Sierra 55g BTHp
55g Winchester with the canalure is excellent also
55g Nosler ballistic tip never has failed us

60g Berger is fantastic to say the least

Speed is the killer as it sets up a temporary wound cavity with permanent tissue destruction.

Spinners, nippers, and flippers occur when you hit them behind the diaphragm, or when you hit them low.

Speed is your friend with a bullet that will not blow up on contact. You have to hit shoulders on frontal quartering shots with bullets not exploding, penetrating to the heart and lungs. All of the bullets I have mentioned will do this in spades. Shots quartering from the rear have to penetrate 12", all the bullets I mentioned with do this after breaking a rear hip joint.

I would not opt for a bullet heavier than 60g in the Grendel due to impact velocity, and see no need in a heavy bullet for coyotes unless you are shooting at some spectacular distance, which night hunting you are not.

For shooting coyotes in the stomach(behind the diaphragm) or in front of the rear legs(kidney shot), then fast 6mm bullets take over or a 22/250 AI with 55's at 4000, at least in my experience.

Back when it was legal, we hunted Mexico with proper gun permits, Etc. We killed more coyotes in two years than most people kill or even see in a life time. We tried all kinds of calibers and bullets, constantly over the years with only military caliber not allowed.

Remember the winning combo is easy:

Speed/good bullet construction/ shot placement

If I were shooting a 22 Grendel, I would shoot a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz and massacre coyotes....massacre!

Keith, what do you think about the 65gn SGK for the 22 Grendel application? My thoughts are that it should be a good cross-over option for both coyotes and whitetails. Should have enough "splatter" for yotes, but tough enough to penetrate well for deer/antelope reliably. I have run the 65sgk from a 223ai on coyotes with acceptable results and only see the extra speed from the GRR making them that much better, but I don't have near as many kills as a fella like you. On the other side of that argument, do you think the 55blitz would have enough penetration for whitetails/antelope? Looking for a "one load" bullet for both if possible.

Last edited:
Blitz no.

For coyotes for short range application, I would shoot a 63g Sierra if you wanted a heavier bullet. 65 sierra is tough, but a fast twist may get it to open up. Behind the diaphram hits maybe iffy...you don't know till you know.

Keith

I read about a guy in Idaho shooting an AR :223 and a 10 gauge shotgun on wolves most shots were 100 yards or less calling in thicker country and he said he was 50/50 on which firearm he killing them with

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.