any 1 try this yet? Bushnell Elite 1500 Laser Rangefinder

Ring

any 1 try this yet?

Bushnell Elite 1500 Laser Rangefinder

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...requestid=11164

Bushnell Elite 1500 Laser Rangefinder
Using Digital Technology™ and premium optics, the Elite 1500 delivers crisp, clear images and precise distance measurements from 5 to 1,500 yards with ± 1-yard accuracy. It's built around invisible, eye-safe, class-one lasers. Fully multicoated optics transmit maximum light for enhanced dawn and dusk performance. It's also extremely rugged and 100% waterproof thanks to the RainGuard™ coating and protective rubber armor. Adjustable eyepieces and an LCD within the optical system displays targeting reticle, mode, distance and battery strength. Scan mode provides continuous distance measurements of multiple targets within the field of view. BullsEye™ mode gives you pinpoint ranging of small objects and game without inadvertent readings from surrounding targets. Brush™ mode ignores close-up objects, such as tree branches, and ranges background targets only. Its LED screen provides illuminated distance readings for low-light convenience. Twist-up metal eyepiece with oversized ocular and diopter setting for quick adjustment and optimum eye relief. Runs on a 9-volt battery (not included). Includes solid tripod mount and a tough, molded hard case.

Beware!! 1500 on fur from a bushnell is (for the most part) unheard of. It would more than likely be 750 under the best conditions on fur.

My bushnell 1000 will range a stopsign to 2000 yards when set on "reflective" but the absolute best I ever saw on fur was about 550 on a broadside brown cow under overcast skies. The black cows were about 400 and the white ones were between 450 and 500. It would NOT range a white paper target past 800 with sun behind and clouds overhead.

But the Leica did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wish I owned a Leica. Anyone looking to accurately range game over 500 yards will want better than Bushnell.

Just my opinion. BTW if you want a Bushnell YP1000 I have one for sale at a fair price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ian, any word yet?

I think Ian is waiting on one to test...
Ian, any word yet?

Re: Ian, any word yet?

Any updates? Very interested as I'm in the hunt for LRF. Is the Bushnell waterproof? Looking at the Bushnell and the Swaro.

Just back from a black bear hunt on Vancouver Island, took the new Bushnell, 8x30 Swarovski and a 1200 Leica to compare during the hunt.
Bushnell did amazing things - it has Rainguard, exceptional optics, excellent ranging ability. It appears to be a winner, did some very good readings in bright light. Actually all three lasers did well, all did a bear at 925 yards in bright light, not sure how that works but they all did it. Bushnell was the fastest for acquiring readings tho. Incredible ability to hit small objects - better at that than the others - tips of pine snags for instance. Not sure what it is going to sell for but this is a great improvement over my old 1000 by Bushnell.

Ian, have you ever tried one of the opti-logic xt with angle-compensation built in?

Glad to hear it turned out to be a decent LRF. What other features does it have? Zip, Rain, Reflective? How does the aiming window subtend compared to the Leica 1200?

Horn,
I never got the manual so cannot tell you much about the other modes except that there are a couple - one shows a little bunch of trees so I imagine that is for shooting through a screen, the other is a bull-eye but I forgot what it does, then there is the standard setting. Very impressive zippered clamshell case, very sharp optics, "Send" button is in a perfect location, easy to fire.
So far this unit has got my thumbs-up, have not had anything to complain about.

Hey Ian,

I need a new LRF for LR ground-hogs, where the ability to range small objects is key. From your review, it sounds like the Bushnell Elite might be my best bet. Do you concur?

Rick

Rick,
The "eyesafe" rules restrict the lasers output so we have to live with pretty wide operating abilities. The bright sun operation of the new Bushnell was impressive. I am afraid that there is only one way to find out if this unit will do the job for you - I was lasering a lot of vegetation and rocks to get an idea of distance in the mountains and the unit was excellent.
This unit is a significant improvement over my older 1000 unit. I will send some images to Dave, maybe he would be kind enough to post them.

Ian,

Thanks for the review.

I've had good luck with my YP1000, might be a better unit than some have gotten though but, I'm pleased with mine out to about 600 yards in any given situation, out to 1200-1400 yards at dawn or dusk on certain objects.

The Elite sounds like it works much better though.

Question - Does it retain the target quality meter at the top?

This comes in handy for me all the time. At a glance I know what objects are more than likely going to give me a reading if the meter bounces high on certain things.

I wonder now how these compare to the Leica Geovid.

Re: more test

Well, I just ordered an Elite 1500 from Cabela's. I will let you know how it does on ground-hogs and whitetails.

Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts