Antler growth????

J.G.W

So if a deer in the northern hemisphere is in hard antler and rubs out at the end of the northern summer and a Southern Hemisphere deer is opposite what happens if you take a deer from one hemisphere to the other? Does he stay in the same pattern or will he change seasons eventually?

Obviously because there are no deer native to places like Australia and New Zealand eventually they do change seasons but does this take a few generations or will a single animal change?

They would have to change rather quickly otherwise the fawns would be born at the beginning of winter rather than the normal early summer IMO.

Actually IMHO I think it has to do with mating season and the changing amount of daylight.

That is correct. Deer from the same county, go in to rut at different times depending on the weather, they also start antler growth at different times of the year depending on the general weather pattern.

In the coastal county's we have some deer that go into rut in September and antler growth starts to coincide with this. In the more northern county's it happens around thanksgiving.

Axis, are the only exception that I know of. Here in Texas, Different axis bucks and does have antler growth and the rut at different times all year long.

J E CUSTOM

To answer the OPs question, they may or may not change within the season. As several others said antler growth is triggered by photoperiod, therefore, a individual that is moved between hemispheres would adapt to that new photoperiod. This happens relatively quickly, but if they are moved during a period of current antler growth they it may take a whole cycle to adjust. There have actually been some really interesting experiment testing this.

Weather and the environment do not have an effect on antler growth, but it can have an indirect effect on the breeding season (and rut). For example in AL the state restocked it's deer population with deer from the Delta region of the state and now the vast majority of the state has a delayed breeding season. The reason for this is that those deer adapted to a delayed fawning period because of the spring/early summer flooding present in the Delta region of the state, therefore the peak of the rut in the majority of AL is now late December and early January. Historically, meaning prior to restocking, it was in late November (similar to surrounding states) and January only in the Delta region. But as I mention, this doesn't influence antler growth. Those same deer with grow antlers, shed velvet, and cast antlers during the same time period and surrounding states.

That is correct. Deer from the same county, go in to rut at different times depending on the weather, they also start antler growth at different times of the year depending on the general weather pattern.

Sorry I have to disagree with this statement. You can set your watch by all stages of our red deer antler development and rut. In my part of the world (Southern QLD, Australia) a mature red stag will be in hard antler by the end of January no matter what our summer conditions have been. The rut is always late March early April regardless of weather conditions. I can't speak for other species or areas. You are correct with your statement regarding chital/axis deer.

If you are talking about Red Stag they are here in Texas and they start there antler growth in April and may and are fully hardened by August just like the other deer.

So I would say that If you transplant "Most" species of deer, they would adapt to the existing weather and light conditions.

J E CUSTOM

Yes they all will change, lots of examples with exotic species brought to US. As stated earlier day length/ photo period is the driving factor not temperature. They kind of go hand in hand since as days get shorter, temp also is decreasing. Day length is also what turns the leave colors not a frost like a lot of people think.

When it's warm temp in the day during the rut, the rutting activities happen at night which makes people believe the rut was "late" or "slow". But it is same time photoperiod every year.

morning, here in TX. according to the explanations presented
the deer in TX. r all messed up. foliage, water, habitat, season,
weather, sun, moon all have a place in antler growth and
rut. the rut will last longer and shorter in different enviroments
and locals. deer will breed according to the does coming in and
out of estreus according to age and breeding by bucks. I
have seen breeding by deer in Mar. deer breed 24hrs
a day during the rut. justme gbot tum.

Actually IMHO I think it has to do with mating season and the changing amount of daylight.
All changes that deer go through, antlers, their summer and winter coats, the rut are all governed by the amount of light in a day. Weather has a small effect on even the rut ! If you had excessive cloudy days before the rut I have read that this could possibly start the rut a few days or maybe a week early. The amount of light change is picked up by a gland that the deer have that changes their testosterone levels, this changes the deer's different yearly stages, and also sets the rut in motion !

Some studies that I have followed have suggested that its antler growth rate has a lot to do with habitat and sun light.

morning, there a vast amounts of info concerning the
antler growth of male deer. depending of the local of
male deer, the antler growth can b very different.
nutrients is the most important effect on antler growth.
I know a lady that works for TTHA. Texas Trophy Hunters
***. This lady is very knowledgeable about the white tailed
deer of TX. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.