Anti's Sue Over Wyo Wolves....Again

Outlaw6.0

Just in case you gents haven't seen this: From Predator Xtreme Magazine-- November 14th

News
Environmental groups sue over Wyoming wolves
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service never should have accepted a wolf-management plan that allows the state of Wyoming to classify the animals as predators that may be shot on sight, environmental groups say.

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service never should have accepted a wolf-management plan that allows the state of Wyoming to classify the animals as predators that may be shot on sight, environmental groups said in a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday in Washington, D.C.
A coalition of groups asked a federal judge to force the Fish and Wildlife Service to rescind its transfer of wolf management authority to Wyoming and protect them once again under the federal Endangered Species Act. The Fish and Wildlife Service turned over wolf management to Wyoming on Oct. 1 after signing off on a state plan that declares wolves as predators that may be shot on sight in more than 80 percent of the state.
The state plan also allows trophy game hunting of wolves in a flexible zone around Yellowstone. As of Tuesday, licensed hunters in Wyoming had killed at least 33 of the maximum 52 wolves the state is allowing them to kill this year in the trophy area.
Wyoming has committed to maintaining at least 10 breeding pairs of wolves and at least 100 individual animals outside of Yellowstone and the Wind River Indian Reservation, in the central part of the state. Wildlife managers estimated there were roughly 300 wolves outside of Yellowstone, where no hunting is allowed, when the state took over.
"What the (Fish and Wildlife) Service does, in setting the benchmark for delisting of wolves is an important precedent for its treatment of species all across the country, said Tim Preso, a Montana lawyer who represents the coalition. The groups in the lawsuit are the Defenders of Wildlife, Natural Resources Defense Council, Sierra Club and Center for Biological Diversity.
"Wolves get a lot of attention; people care a lot about wolves. The service is under the microscope when it comes to dealing with wolves. And if it's good enough with respect to wolves to say that a free-fire zone in 85 percent of the state is OK, I think we're very concerned that sets a terrible precedent for other species,'' Preso said.
While some Wyoming sportsmen and ranchers say they're concerned that wolves take an unacceptable toll on wildlife and livestock, environmental groups long have protested that a series of proposed state wolf management plans have failed to offer adequate protection to ensure the species' long-term survival.
Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead said Tuesday that the groups suing the federal government apparently have decided to go to court regardless of what's happening on the ground in the state.
Mead worked with U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to come to agreement on delisting wolves in the state. Mead has emphasized that the state is committed to making sure that it maintains the wolf population and doesn't risk having the federal government take over management again.
"Rather than looking at Wyoming's successful efforts, these groups are suing based on what they wanted,'' Mead said. "Wyoming's wolf management plan is working well.''
Mead said hunters are turning over samples that allow the state to track the genetic diversity of the population. "Wyoming set up a conservative hunt and will easily maintain the necessary wolf population and effectively manage the wolves as agreed upon with the federal government,'' he said.
The lawsuit is the latest in a seemingly endless stream of litigation over Wyoming's efforts to exert control over a population of gray wolves that has been expanding in the state since the federal government reintroduced the species in Yellowstone National Park in the mid-1990s.
The Fish and Wildlife Service had accepted a similar delisting plan from Wyoming in 2007 but later repudiated it after a federal judge in Montana criticized it in response to an earlier legal challenge from environmental groups. The federal agency in recent years had delisted wolves in both Montana and Idaho but had kept authority over them in Wyoming.
Preso said the current Wyoming plan is "the kissing cousin'' of the plan the Fish and Wildlife Service previously rejected.
"The changes that were made since the Fish and Wildlife Service rejected the plan essentially amount to new window dressing on a plan that still calls for wolf eradication across the majority of the state and does not provide guarantees that the Yellowstone wolf population will be connected to other wolves and won't end up as an isolated, island population,'' Preso said.

t

Wyo. plan meets every aspect +some that US wildlife set forth in the origanal agreement. why should they be forced to accept more? Were they being lied to from the start? Of corse they were. Here in Idaho we have at least 7 times as many as they said we needed. They don't count any in the wildernesses in the middle of the state. but now they say that lowering the number wil cause irreparable harm. We have all been lied to by our government. States rights tell the Feds they have no control or input. Wolves are not interstate commerce

This type of thing really makes me sick, seriously churns my stomach. How we could ever come to the mindset that allowing those outside your state dictate what takes place inside your state is absolutely ludicrous. If the GOV wants to control the INVASIVE CANADIAN timber wolves inside the park, fine, that is federal land. Anything outside the Park should be fair game to be controlled just like every other predator.

To pander to these anti's just because they balk louder than the rest is annoying. It's always said that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".... maybe they should consider replacing that wheel :cool:

Our control plan was reviewed & approved by appropriate entities, there is ZERO legitimate cause for any further review at this point. They are wasting tax payer money on a subject for which they were asked no input.

With luck, Wyoming again will stand tall in the face of adversity & tell the anti's & if necessary the GOV, to "stuff it". Our way or the highway, take your pick.

t

This type of thing really makes me sick, seriously churns my stomach. How we could ever come to the mindset that allowing those outside your state dictate what takes place inside your state is absolutely ludicrous. If the GOV wants to control the INVASIVE CANADIAN timber wolves inside the park, fine, that is federal land. Anything outside the Park should be fair game to be controlled just like every other predator.

To pander to these anti's just because they balk louder than the rest is annoying. It's always said that "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".... maybe they should consider replacing that wheel :cool:

Our control plan was reviewed & approved by appropriate entities, there is ZERO legitimate cause for any further review at this point. They are wasting tax payer money on a subject for which they were asked no input.

With luck, Wyoming again will stand tall in the face of adversity & tell the anti's & if necessary the GOV, to "stuff it". Our way or the highway, take your pick.

t
That's what I'm talkin about! Leave us alone and let us deal with our wildlife issues ourselves. What difference does it really make to them?! If they spent as much energy worrying about bigger issues than how we handle the wolves, maybe our country would be better off... and to the anti's, like it or not, hunting is conservation!!!

That's what I'm talkin about! Leave us alone and let us deal with our wildlife issues ourselves. What difference does it really make to them?! If they spent as much energy worrying about bigger issues than how we handle the wolves, maybe our country would be better off... and to the anti's, like it or not, hunting is conservation!!!

You're absolutely right, we as sportsmen have contributed to & helped the G&F increase game population more than the these nut jobs EVER will. Why, do you ask?

Because we actually know what the hell we're talking about, that's why. :cool:

t

A lot of money changes hands on the wolf. The wolf also being taken off the list scares hell out of the anti crowd. What's next? I'd like a Bald Eagle mount, A Golden better, but the point is they can't let go of the ESA because its not about saving troubled species, if it ever was.

Somebody should introduce a law that states that an entity (with individuals in leadership named) that champions a cause be responsible for management and financially responsible for damages caused by such cause, and be responsible unsuccessful law suits.

I don't think that would get to far, but it would sure be nice to say: Ok you want this get out your check book, because your paying the cost of studies, efforts and livestock loss. And if you try to open a lawsuit and it fails your on the hook for that too.

Somebody should introduce a law that states that an entity (with individuals in leadership named) that champions a cause be responsible for management and financially responsible for damages caused by such cause, and be responsible unsuccessful law suits.

I don't think that would get to far, but it would sure be nice to say: Ok you want this get out your check book, because your paying the cost of studies, efforts and livestock loss. And if you try to open a lawsuit and it fails your on the hook for that too.

Joe, that makes too much sense :D Logical & rational thinking was done away with long ago. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in some states (known to the state of California to cause birth defects)....

It's pretty sickening to think that they are using our money to sue us over our land & wildlife.

t

My wish is to see the states or someone with standing, sue to get an accounting and the return of the Pittman-Robertson monies.

Wolves in Wyoming's "varmit" area have been shot at Green River. It takes half of a day to drive to Yellowstone from there in a car. That seems to be a stretch of "the greater Yellowstone ecosystem" to me.

You might write a letter to former Vice president Dick Cheney. If he has a Wyoming address, he might give you some idea of how to keep the federal government out of Wyoming's business. I'm just guessing here, but if he thinks like you, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have him give you some suggestions. I don't know if what I'm saying has any credence but I do have a lot of respect for Dick Cheney. He seems like someone that would know how to dispute the federal government's involvement in state affairs maybe if it's his own state he would help.

Just a guess.

you know...

A dead wolf's a good wolf as far as I'm concerned! I think it's high time we all write letters to influential current and former politicians about our right to hunt as a true conservationist. This seems to me the biggest thing we will loss to anti gun people. Why can't we hunt if we follow known conservation ideas and I think all of us deserve to have laws made that are fair to us too.

Good luck.

Wolves in Wyoming's "varmit" area have been shot at Green River. It takes half of a day to drive to Yellowstone from there in a car. That seems to be a stretch of "the greater Yellowstone ecosystem" to me.

If you haven't read up on it the goal "Y2Y" Yellowstone to Yukon corridor is the ECO"s desire.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts