Antiquity still kills.

fj40mojo

fall10013.jpg

Old "Meat in the Pot" can still get it done. This 3x3 Idaho Mulie was killed with my '98 Mauser that has been in my family since the late '60s. Originally built by my uncle and chambered for 6.5x55 Swede the rifle was passed on to me about 2 years ago. The throat was so badly eroded that I was unable to reach the lands even with 160 round nose bullets. So, off to the smith it went for a re-barrel (Douglas Premium Air Gauged 1:8) and chambered with PT&G's 6.5x55 Match reamer. Topped it off with a 4.5-14 Meuller. Shoots 140grn Hornady SSTs into sub 1/2 MOA groups at 2860fps. This shot was only 252 yards, hardly long range but it's meat in the freezer now. Shallow quartering away shot, bullet broke the 4th rib on the left side going in and exited at the base of the neck. Would have liked to recover the bullet but it wasn't worth destroying a bunch of meat for. Deer made 4 bounds before tipping over. Best part was my 5yo laying next to me in the alfalfa for his first hunting experience.

fall10015.jpg

Wife got this one the next day with the same rifle in the same field at 148 yards. DRT

Necro thread revival! The Swede kills 2 more bucks in the same field 1 year later. Our 2011 hunt went much like last year's. First night out my wife killed this nice 4x4 with one shot at 150yds, hardly long range but another bang flop kill for the 120 year old cartridge.
hunting11022.jpg

hunting11027.jpg

Just for good measure I shot the doe that was hanging out with him with my muzzleloader at 130yds. 2 days later I bagged a forky in the same field with the Swede at 250yds, again bang flop dead right there.
hunting11024.jpg

My freezer is full!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.