Anti Hunter Vandals

Once upon a time, was hunting Coues deer with my Dad and his buddy. It had snowed. Dad's bud came across a buck, still warm, shot thru the heart, in the early morning. Bud stood there all day waiting for the shooter to track down their animal. At dusk, he gutted it and came back to camp with the deer on his shoulders. He asked my dad if he should tag it. Dad's response was, Get it tagged rite now! So the did. Not long after, an AZGF officer appeared in our camp, almost as if by magic, armed to the teeth, and belligerent as all get out. Who shot that deer?, pointing at Buds deer. Dad's friend replied, I did. I want to know who shot that deer! I shot that deer. That is my tag! I shot that deer! This went on for a bit, back and forth, but Jim's answer never wavered. Finally, the officer visibly relaxed, and started talking to us, explaining AZ game laws, tagging, and permissible kills. Turns out, he admitted that he knew Jim had NOT in fact, made that kill. He had been high pointing, and certainly knew who shot the animal in question. Said that had Jim waffled, even a little, Bad Things were going to happen. Guy even kind of apologized for showing up in camp the way he did. Intereresting experience!

Here at my farm, if.my neighbors see me headed to the woods they will run their 4 wheeler back and forth along the property line or start "target practicing". I have, at least 4 or 5 times a season, to call the DNR to come out since they are shooting onto my property.
Year's ago our hunting club kinda got in peeing contest with lease next to us. We had tried to reason with lease holder but to no avail. They had bulldozed a green field that the end of the field was boundary with our property. They set up a shooting house facing our property, which was a super thick bottom full of privet and honey suckle. Lots of deer cover. We asked again that they not hunt this plot and we wouldn't hunt the bottom. We started catching them in the act. So, we put up ladder stands where they see them facing our property and started hunting them. Whenever they dropped off a hunter we would wave at them in their shooting house. We made sure no deer set foot on their green field. They lost their lease when my game warden buddy talked to the property owner. He wouldn't let new lease holder plant the field and we took down the ladder stands.

Year's ago our hunting club kinda got in peeing contest with lease next to us. We had tried to reason with lease holder but to no avail. They had bulldozed a green field that the end of the field was boundary with our property. They set up a shooting house facing our property, which was a super thick bottom full of privet and honey suckle. Lots of deer cover. We asked again that they not hunt this plot and we wouldn't hunt the bottom. We started catching them in the act. So, we put up ladder stands where they see them facing our property and started hunting them. Whenever they dropped off a hunter we would wave at them in their shooting house. We made sure no deer set foot on their green field. They lost their lease when my game warden buddy talked to the property owner. He wouldn't let new lease holder plant the field and we took down the ladder stands.
Alls fair in........war

Since the thread has already been 'jacked by bag phones (The actual reason I checked in on this thread. :D)...I got the 3rd bag phone in our county. $400.00! Because the power unit was in the bag instead of the handset, they put 3 full watts of power in those things! (0.9W is the limit in handheld phones.) Cell phones have never been the same since!

It was in the early 80s when I saw the first bag phone, so to speak. Worked for the Department of the Army as a paramedic. We transported people all over the southeast , South Carolina to Texas. One day we were handed a small brief case that had a rotary dial phone in it. So long as we were on interstate highways it worked. Open it raise the antenna call anyone you want. We were stunned. Wish I had that thing. Think what it would sell for.🤔

Last edited:
When I was 16 I had permission from a landowner to bow hunt his 244 acres near my house. So I'd get ready at home and basically just walk across the main road and down a private drive about 300 yards to access the property. The landowner had a right away on this private drive so legally I was fine. But one day a guy who lived in that private drive told me he didn't allow hunting in there. So I told that I wasn't hunting on his property (like 3 acres) I was hunting in the other guys property and had permission to do so. He proceeded to tell me he didn't care whose property I was hunting on he didn't want me deer hunting in there. So I left. A few weeks later I went back in again. On my way out of the woods he came out yelling at me again. I just turned around and told him I had permission and there was nothing he could do. He then pulled a 38 revolver out of his pocket and told me if he caught me hunting in there again he'd fill me full of lead. Keep in mind I'm only 16. I left and went home and my dad was on the porch. When he started asking me about the hunt he could tell something was wrong. Eventually he coaxed the story out of me. When I finished he asked me if that was the truth and when I said yes he stood up walked in the house and then right back out and down the driveway. He walked right up to the guys door and knocked. When the man opened the door dad stuck a 45 right to his forehead and cocked the hammer and told him if he ever threatened me or even looked at me the wrong way he'd blown his brains out and happily go to jail because no one threatens his boys. The man never said a word to me again about hunting in there. Both men have since passed so I don't mind telling the story. Just keep in mind when some people confront you it may not be all words and you don't know what's in their pockets of coat. The best solution is to avoid confrontation when you can. Although sometimes it'd just unavoidable. RIP Dad. 3-25-22. Later that same year I killed this deer on that property when dad and I went out. I do miss him terribly.
BDBCB6EA-E297-43B1-A2EE-C3795B690FD9.jpeg

Last edited: