Anti cant

I just put some levels in a freezer below 0f. Lost just a bit of sensitivity but I can't imagine it would ever be of issue. Took video if anyone is interested.

The worst part isn't the tiny bit of sensitivity loss but the bubble breaks up at the shot. Then you gotta tilt the gun to get the bubble back to whole again. Not a huge problem just a pain in the butt.
We will never build a better mouse trap if we are happy with "hey it works".
The electric levels and ceramic ball levels fix this but have their own issues as well as high cost.
If I was marketing scope levels I would want this kind of feed back to improve my products. Maybe there are better fluid choices out there for bubble levels or something else that can improve the tiny bit of sensitivity loss at extreme cold or to keep the bubble from expanding in high heat as little as that maybe.
There's no dout about it bubble levels work. But I do see where they can be improved, the how is beyond my knowledge at this point

Could be the levels I have used are just cheap junk. Idk

Last edited:
I posted this photo on this site in 2015. After that a company started making them, but I've not seen their product let alone used it so cannot comment. This gizmo began as an Accuracy First and when I saw the "vacant area" behind and under the crescent shaped fluid retainer (ceramic ball too) I couldn't resist putting an LED, switch, and battery carrier on my LRKM. I've used it year around and I always use the LED; it's a great reminder to watch the cant. I went with a 9v battery; next I'll be using one 18560 lithium rechargeable like I use in my headlamps. Just so you know this rifle used to ride in my 9' trap sled in winter (in a soft case) and in my boat (in the Pelican). Never had any problem, but then winter temps here don't allow for a whole lot of shooting. I carry it for caribou then.
LED Level2.jpg

Still haven't tested the mk level. Just one thing bothering me about it. Bubble is smaller than the lines. Prob my ocd but why are so many levels like that? You can't be sure weather your level or almost level. To some that may not matter but when your shooting ELR it makes a difference specially past a mile. Don't think I'm going to like it. Happy to send it back or send it to the next guy wanting to try it. Really up to Tyler, I would like to get a throw lever tho as I was impressed with the construction

Still haven't tested the mk level. Just one thing bothering me about it. Bubble is smaller than the lines. Prob my ocd but why are so many levels like that? You can't be sure weather your level or almost level. To some that may not matter but when your shooting ELR it makes a difference specially past a mile. Don't think I'm going to like it. Happy to send it back or send it to the next guy wanting to try it. Really up to Tyler, I would like to get a throw lever tho as I was impressed with the construction

This may not be Tyler's answer, but the bubble changes with elevation and temperature. probably changes with the barometric pressure too if remaining at one elevation. I believe they call that the ideal gas law?

Last edited:
This may not be Tyler's answer, but the bubble changes with elevation, probably changes with the barometric pressure too if remaining at one elevation. I believe they call that the ideal gas law?
you could be right and one more reason to go ceramic ball vs bubble. For the record most of my shooting is done between 2000-3500' above sea level
Mk Machining needs to make a ceramic ball level. Need options

If someone has a line on ceramic levels, I'm more than happy to offer them at a $10 upcharge or whatever they cost.

I've never had anyone mention the bubble being smaller than the lines, but then again I've never had a problem keeping a symmetrical gap on both sides of something, for example bracketing a bullseye in smallbore or highpower with a peep sight, etc.

My strategy is put the center of the bubble below the pin like a set of handgun sights. Never had a problem out to 2500 yards this far! Really surprised such a small thing is a dealbreaker, first complaint I've had on this design in 500 or so sold. Send it back or send it along to someone else, doesn't matter to me. I'm confident in the design.

FWIW I haven't noticed a signficant change in bubble size from sea level to 10k elevation, those are the extremes at which I've shot.

If I was ok with the gap between the lines I'd have no need to up grade from the lone star level or wheeler level for that matter. I like the mounting setup but the level is number 1 reason I don't like it. If you could swap out levels like the lone star level I'd just change it out my self.
Strongly leaning toward the accuracy 1st at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.