Anti can't scope level recomendations

My favorite anti cant levels are those which are mounted inside the scope in the same focal plane as the reticle and just below it. Those were made by Springfield Armory though I don't see new ones offered any more. The SA have some other drawbacks though . Their range calibrated reticles are fine IF you shoot antique ammo which has the same BCs and velocity as the popular military bullets in days when the scopes were sold. Not many companies offer internal levels. US Optics does but it's an expensive option, not to mention an expensive scope to start with.

Before you buy an external level I'd recommend deciding on where to place it so you can see it without having to change your hold or move your head position to see the target though the scope and to see the bubble at the same time.. I'''ve had good success mounting a Sinclair level on the left hand side of the scope tube in front of the front scope ring as far forward as it can go, immediately behind the objective bell. This only works with scopes that don't have focus (or other) turrets on the left side. It also requires scope rings which lay close to the scope tube. Warne Maxima rings are my choice. With that I can keep my right eye aligned with the scope and see the bubble with my left eye simultaneously. The black back of the scope bell and flip up lens cover gives good contrast for seeing the bubble.

That won't work for some people who aren't comfortable with unfusing the the left and right eye images. I chose the Sinclair levels mostly because they're cheap ($33 for 30mm). I don't think spending more would offer any benefit.

Last edited:
I have the USO swing out (cause I thought it looked cool), the plain old Sinclair, and the Flatline Ops swing out model.
Once I got to about 45 years old focusing on a level or cosign indicator proved about impossible without switching to reading glasses.
Moving the ACI and level to the far side of the scope makes it focus-able and the swing out level sits higher than the turrets so I can see that without getting too bent out of shape. When stored you can't see it behind the turret, but those are the sacrifices old farts have to make.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts