Anti cant device

Whatever you choose, understand that the only thing that needs to be absolutely level each shot is that level and the cross hairs. It doesn't matter if the scope is level to the gun. So many people think that is the case. I have rigs that cant to my body, but the crosshairs are level with the horizon. That bubble level on the side of the scope verifies that levelness. (So long as it doesn't get bumped/moved in the case...)

Thank you all for the responses!! Great to hear from everyone, and there are options that I had not even heard of previously. I'm gonna try the USO level on my new 7mm rem mag build, but I think I'll try one of the others that were mentioned on my 308, and another on my son's 6.5 CM. I'll figure out what I/we like best. My dad is also looking for something for his 300 NM.

The angle cosine indicator is also on the list. My range finder helps with that, but I like back ups and redundancy.

I truly appreciate the feedback from everyone! Thanks!

My go-to is definitely FlatLine OPs but I've been eyeballing the offerings from MK Machining. I'll probably be trying one of those in the near future as their throw levers have proven to be a quality product.

t

Whatever you choose, understand that the only thing that needs to be absolutely level each shot is that level and the cross hairs. It doesn't matter if the scope is level to the gun. So many people think that is the case. I have rigs that cant to my body, but the crosshairs are level with the horizon. That bubble level on the side of the scope verifies that levelness. (So long as it doesn't get bumped/moved in the case...)
This is not true. If your crosshairs are not inline, vertically, with your bore, your bullet flight would veer left or right (depending which way your canted). At close range, this might not be as noticeable, but at long range (this is "Long Range Hunting"), it will become more noticeable.

This is not true. If your crosshairs are not inline, vertically, with your bore, your bullet flight would veer left or right (depending which way your canted). At close range, this might not be as noticeable, but at long range (this is "Long Range Hunting"), it will become more noticeable.
It is absolutely true. The barrel is a cylinder. Gravity acts straight down on the bullet regardless of the cylinder orientation. Put iron sights on the cylinder and yeah, you got to have the barrel straight up an down. As for a scoped rifle, the scope is independent of that cylinder. If scope is level to the Earth every shot it will track perfect.

It is actually true. I mean there is a slight amount of error but it get's lost in the noise. I've got a diagram here to help people understand.
offset.png

@Gingerman I Knew that was going to cause some problems with people.

It is actually true. I mean there is a slight amount of error but it get's lost in the noise. I've got a diagram here to help people understand.
offset.png

Cool diagrams and practicality aspect.

Some more preaching to the choir! :)

A scope bubble level reminds us to hold the gun the same each shot. That bubble level and crosshairs are married to one another when set up precisely. Shooter don't check that the bubble is level, yeah, problems upon the shot and making mechanical corrections. No longer is the elevation, for example, going to track straight up and down. It will wonky to a diagonal track.

offset.png

This example confirms what I said. Not sure what your tolerance is, but 0.130" is not 0.000.

Using your words, if "there is a slight amount of error but it get's lost in the noise" is nothing to be concerned with, why bother with an anti-cant level?

This example confirms what I said. Not sure what your tolerance is, but 0.130" is not 0.000.

Using your words, if "there is a slight amount of error but it get's lost in the noise" is nothing to be concerned with, why bother with an anti-cant level?
.130" is the amount your barrel would misaligned from the centerline of the optic using a 5 degree cant under the optic. The amount of offset is 1.17" at 1000 Yards. If you can resolve that error in your firing solution you must have a 1000 yard tunnel to shoot in.

The anti-cant device is to keep the crosshairs plumb to gravity. If you screw that up there is large error.

Well hello all, I need to get back to the LRH life. Things have been wild for the past few years with growth.

Here is my new "XLP" level, based on consumer feedback thusfar it competes very well with competitors mentioned at half the price.

Super slim, protected vial, vial is sensitive, can be mounted "upside down" like a rail level position, etc. You will dig it!

Well hello all, I need to get back to the LRH life. Things have been wild for the past few years with growth.

Here is my new "XLP" level, based on consumer feedback thusfar it competes very well with competitors mentioned at half the price.

Super slim, protected vial, vial is sensitive, can be mounted "upside down" like a rail level position, etc. You will dig it!

Good looking setup man, well done.

t