Antelope success chances

Jerry Cunningham

I retire next year and I hope to hunt antelope in Wyoming. I plan to use the new GPS software that shows land ownership. I really can't afford large trespass fees. I do have a lot of extra time. Can a person hunt with good success on public land in Wyoming? Thanks a lot.
Jerry1

We just returned from our hunt in WY. I used a Garmin Oregon 200 with the map card from Len and can't tell you how invaluable it was. GPS was very easy to use and we had no problems telling where we were. As another topic suggested, if using it and being confronted by outfitters or others, have them call the wardens. These things really will pinpoint your location within feet!

Just returned from WY and spent 2 days hunting antelope. I looked over two hunt areas that have been no problem in the past filling tags. This year was different. my son and I each had a doe tag. We still have them, never chambered a round. I was using the maps GPS and checked every public unit in our hunt area that was not land locked. No antelope to be found. Many other hunters with the same problem as well. I would advise you to do some pre-application research to choose an area. In the years past the population was good on the public areas we hunt. But this year was different. I got a call from a friend yesterday that was there and was having the same issues. More hunters than antelope.

Jeff

Three friends just returned from Wyoming. They hunted a private ranch, behind locked gates. Five days of day-light to dark huntin' resulted in one shot being fired. A total of 4 goats were spoted, 3 at over 600 yards, with no good bucks. One 10" buck was finally taged, out of 9 tags they had..

These hunters had hunted this place for 5-6 years and ALWAYS shot good bucks. Other hunters in the same Motel said the same to them ... no antelope.

Some times it's good, sometimes it ain't :D .

I used to apply for hunting antelope in unit 52, west of Laramie, along the highway from Saratoga to Encampment. This unit has a lot of walk in BLM and private land that opens up around Oct 15 for public hunting. I have taken goats each time I got a tag. Now I apply for unit 31, south of Casper, and hunt the Hat Six Ranch during the first couple of weeks when the season opens. This is open to those who draw in this unit. No tresspass fews. Lots of space to hunt.
There is always plenty of antelope there. We took three nice bucks in 08 there. My friends that hunt there have taken antelope the last two years there. We all hunt with pistols and have no problem getting game. There are usually a lot of doe tags available also.
Mike

the gps maps work! it saved our hunt this year. we took two nice bucks 13"/14". and two doe's in three days. one i shot at 275 yards with an encore 7mm-08 pistol. i would look in the area around casper. get some local road maps to see if there are public roads because you need an area with lots of roads to get to blm and state land. if there are lots of roads just turn on the GPS and drive till it turns blue and start looking for lope

Can't speak to the GPS issue cuz I don't have one... hopelessly anachronistic with maps out the whazoo...

On the other question, however, I can tell you this: I did a little virtual scouting and looked over the information on the F&G site to narrow down a hunting area. I'm from the east like Derek, and hunted for the first time this year.

See my thread on this board to view my results... my 8 yr was all smiles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goiing back next year w/ a 6.5-284, doe tags, and empty coolers!! :)

Forgot to say... it was my first-ever western hunt and we saw TONS of goats while scouting the night before the opener. Tons of hunters on the opener too...

Last edited:
I just got back from WY antelope and deer hunt. I hunted zone 64 and saw hundreds of antelope on public land. I used the software in my Garmin Oregon 400 and it worked well. I used BLM maps also. The walk on hunting area maps are also usefull.
While I was deer hunting zone 90 for deer I saw lots and lots of antelope on pulic lands. I'm not sure what zones they where all in. There is a lot of BLM and walk in land between Casper and Riverton.
I shot my antelope on the 2nd day of hunting. I could have shot decent bucks the first day. You should have no problem being successful.

Just returned from WY and spent 2 days hunting antelope. I looked over two hunt areas that have been no problem in the past filling tags. This year was different. my son and I each had a doe tag. We still have them, never chambered a round. I was using the maps GPS and checked every public unit in our hunt area that was not land locked. No antelope to be found. Many other hunters with the same problem as well. I would advise you to do some pre-application research to choose an area. In the years past the population was good on the public areas we hunt. But this year was different. I got a call from a friend yesterday that was there and was having the same issues. More hunters than antelope.

Jeff

Similar issues here where I live. Doe antelope population was 180 out from last year. Perhaps there was a big die off somewhere, and the survivors just spread out to fill the gap? We saw hundreds and hundreds of does last season.

I didn't even see the typical rutting behavior. Bucks didn't seem to care if they were with does or not. Buck doe ratio was way higher than I'd seen in a long long time.

Doesn't sound like it was that way all across the state, but certainly was in some spots.

There is a lot of BLM and walk in land between Casper and Riverton.
True enough. Just remember you have to access the public lands from a public road, or from a primitive road that does not cross private lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.