Antelope rifle recommendation

My "ideal" antelope rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight in 6.5 Creedmoor topped with Vortex' excellent 6 - 24 x50 Razor AMG scope in a Nightforce one piece mount.

That rifle is very accurate and the scope is Vortex' best, plus, for all its features, it is "light" at 29 oz. and all made in USA except for the German reticle.

Currently I have a 6.5 Creed. Ruger American Predator W/ Timney trigger and Boyd's Classic laminated stock with a SWFA 5 - 15 x 42, mil/mil, FFP scope.
Not a bad antelope combo and the rifle is extremely accurate, as in 1/2 MOA with ELD-X rounds. BUT I cannot carry it with a round in the chamber as Ruger does not give us a BOLT LOCK! That means it will (and has) come open while being carried and I have lost rounds on two different occasions.
Ruger, are you even listening??

Eric B.

P.S. The OP asked what was a good ANTELOPE rifle. To me that means pretty much a bolt rifle chambered in anything below 30 caliber. And cartridges that fit that definition are the old 270 Win. and .243 Win. up to and including fast 6.5 mm cartridges like the 6.5/284 and the new and even faster 6.5 PRC. And a few good 7 mm cartridges too.
Yes, my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt is flat shooting and very accurate but it is surely overkill for antelope.

Last edited:
7mm Rem Mag in whatever rifle you want.
I've shot em with 243 to 308, seen them shot with just about everything: 300 win mag, 6.5 Grendel, etc.

Thing to keep in mind is that the wind is always blowing in Wyoming, so high BC bullets with good velocity (i.e. powder) behind them is ideal. 7mm Rem Mag with 162gr, 168gr, or 175gr bullet would be my choice because you've got all the criteria covered: high BC, velocity, killing power, and it won't blow your shoulder off.

Hard to beat the old stand by, Model 70 in 243. 400 plus yards.

Karenqus%20goat1.JPG

Not a goat, but the same 243 works well on muley's at 547 yards.
Karenqus%2020161.JPG

Both were shot with the Hornady 100 BTSP.

Having bragged about the 243, I'll confess that thats the wife's gun. My Go To Goat/Deer rifle is a Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts.

If you practice in the wind, you can shoot in the wind. This is Wyoming, if you dont shoot in the wind, you dont shoot.

Kraig, I love the fact that she's a good shot and a Colts fan!

7mm Rem Mag in whatever rifle you want.
I've shot em with 243 to 308, seen them shot with just about everything: 300 win mag, 6.5 Grendel, etc.

Thing to keep in mind is that the wind is always blowing in Wyoming, so high BC bullets with good velocity (i.e. powder) behind them is ideal. 7mm Rem Mag with 162gr, 168gr, or 175gr bullet would be my choice because you've got all the criteria covered: high BC, velocity, killing power, and it won't blow your shoulder off.

Good to know
Im bringing my 7mm with 154 gr hornady interBond will it be good
Or I need heavier bullet ?

No intentions of hi-jacking this thread but I'm contemplating which rifle to take in October, I drew a WY tag.

My choices are 7mm-08 Tikka shooting 140 NABs great 3-10 Z3 Swaro
Or
.300 win Tikka shooting 180s 3.5-18 Z5 Swaro BRH Reticle

I'd love to build some confidence with the .300 its new and I plan on taking it on some hunts booked in the next few years. The 7-08 is my go to for deer sized game, it just flat out works and I know the gun well.

Decisions decisions!

I'd imagine we'll be shooting 2-300. I'm pretty confident out to 500, which is the max available at my local range. The BRH reticle takes a lot of guessing out of the equation and with a 180 accubond I feel they will buck the wind pretty decent.

I'll probably throw the 08 in the truck for a backup anyway. Peace of mind.

I'd imagine we'll be shooting 2-300. I'm pretty confident out to 500, which is the max available at my local range. The BRH reticle takes a lot of guessing out of the equation and with a 180 accubond I feel they will buck the wind pretty decent.

I'll probably throw the 08 in the truck for a backup anyway. Peace of mind.

You can use the 300 Win Mag if you want, but the 7-08 is a perfect caliber for antelope. That's a friends cartridge of choice for antelope hunting and he's taken quite a few over 500 yards

You can use the 300 Win Mag if you want, but the 7-08 is a perfect caliber for antelope. That's a friends cartridge of choice for antelope hunting and he's taken quite a few over 500 yards
It's a great cartridge. I'm going to have both rifles ready and take them. Brother drew tag too so we'll have one backup. He will be using his .270. Driving out so flying with extra gear etc isn't a concern. Nice to have options.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.