Antelope hunting

DXHI

Got invited on an antelope hunt in New Mexico this fall…needless to say I'm already dreaming of the shot with the 300 RUM…wednesday can't get here soon enough

Not sure of location yet. My buddy invited me last minute, I do know its in the northern part of the state.
My rifle is coming in tomorrow. Im going to try and work up a 168 gr load

Not sure of location yet. My buddy invited me last minute, I do know its in the northern part of the state.
My rifle is coming in tomorrow. Im going to try and work up a 168 gr load

168grain load in a 300RUM?? Have you given any consideration to bigger bullets? the 208amax, Berger 215 and 230 hybrids are great bullets. I shot the 208Amax in my 300RUM with fantastic results...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/

I will throw 2 cents in this ring, having hunted and then guided antelope in northern New Mexico ( Wagon Mound and Raton) you have a lot of gun for them. Much more than needed.
Yes a lot of people shoot 30 caliber out there, because they have to.

6MM, 6.5 or 7mm is what we recommended to do the job

These are LIGHT skinned: Light boned animals built for speed.

Put the spot and stalk on them, When guiding out there, we were required to put our hunters within 150 yards.

Get good optics, good boots and some snake guards.

Best of luck

M.Bird

I will throw 2 cents in this ring, having hunted and then guided antelope in northern New Mexico ( Wagon Mound and Raton) you have a lot of gun for them. Much more than needed.
Yes a lot of people shoot 30 caliber out there, because they have to.

6MM, 6.5 or 7mm is what we recommended to do the job

These are LIGHT skinned: Light boned animals built for speed.

Put the spot and stalk on them, When guiding out there, we were required to put our hunters within 150 yards.

Get good optics, good boots and some snake guards.

Best of luck

M.Bird

If New Mexico is like Wyoming, there are prickers EVERYWHERE and they get into EVERYTHING...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2-va-lrhers-eastern-wy-78874/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.