Antelope hunt with daughters?

338, i spend a lot of time in the Wyoming hunt planner diring the corse of a year.
I just spent a little study time. You are correct, it looks like 32 might get all 4 of you buck tags based on last year's odds.
Withv15 points total you would have 3+ point average. Last year 3 points drew 100%. Another unit I looked at last year was 18, again it looks like your point average might make it. The doe tags in 32 you were thinking about looked like the type 6 hovered around 25% last year.
If you all applied for the doe tags you may receive one. Unlike here in MN there is no party hunting allowed in WY. When you are in the field there, there is always eyes watching you.
What do you mean by party hunting? Are you guys allowed to fill each other's tags or something?

338, i spend a lot of time in the Wyoming hunt planner diring the corse of a year.
I just spent a little study time. You are correct, it looks like 32 might get all 4 of you buck tags based on last year's odds.
Withv15 points total you would have 3+ point average. Last year 3 points drew 100%. Another unit I looked at last year was 18, again it looks like your point average might make it. The doe tags in 32 you were thinking about looked like the type 6 hovered around 25% last year.
If you all applied for the doe tags you may receive one. Unlike here in MN there is no party hunting allowed in WY. When you are in the field there, there is always eyes watching you.
The best way for them to do it is to apply (in my opinion) as a group for the buck tags, and individually for the doe/fawn tags. If 3 points was 100% last year, then as long as it stays the same, the group will draw the buck tags, and have more chances at drawing the does. If there is 25% draw odds for does, then if they all applied as a group for two doe/fawn tags each, then they would only have 25% of the entire group drawing. If they did it individually, then *Jane* would have two 25% chances at a tag, *Jill* would have two 25% chances at a tag, *Jack* would have two 25% chances at a tag, and *Jim* would have two 25% chances at a tag, making it statistically almost a certainty that at least one person in the group will draw a tag, likely more.

In other words, for the doe/fawn tags, if they apply as a group, it is all or nothing. Would be awesome if their group drew, they would lay the smack down on the goats! But f they apply doe/fawn as individuals, it is more likely that at least someone gets a tag. Being that they are essentially guaranteed a buck tag, I would apply for the doe/fawn tags individually, and at least someone will have an extra doe/fawn tag instead of a 75% chance that no one gets a second tag.

What do you mean by party hunting? Are you guys allowed to fill each other's tags or something?
Ya, as long as there is a tag for the animal and a few other guidelines to follow, G&F is good with it. Some states love it, others consider it poaching ha ha. Wyoming considers it poaching, and also the general hunting community frowns upon it in this state. I could see it being practical in states overrun with whitetails though for sure

Last edited:
In MN & WI party hunting is allowed. Within a group some members may tag animals harvested by another member. However with firearm not archery. In WI all members in the field must carry a firearm. This law was to prevent parents filling their kids tags. In MN members must be in voice or visual contact of each other. No cellphone search for tags.

The best way for them to do it is to apply (in my opinion) as a group for the buck tags, and individually for the doe/fawn tags. If 3 points was 100% last year, then as long as it stays the same, the group will draw the buck tags, and have more chances at drawing the does. If there is 25% draw odds for does, then if they all applied as a group for two doe/fawn tags each, then they would only have 25% of the entire group drawing. If they did it individually, then *Jane* would have two 25% chances at a tag, *Jill* would have two 25% chances at a tag, *Jack* would have two 25% chances at a tag, and *Jim* would have two 25% chances at a tag, making it statistically almost a certainty that at least one person in the group will draw a tag, likely more.

In other words, for the doe/fawn tags, if they apply as a group, it is all or nothing. Would be awesome if their group drew, they would lay the smack down on the goats! But f they apply doe/fawn as individuals, it is more likely that at least someone gets a tag. Being that they are essentially guaranteed a buck tag, I would apply for the doe/fawn tags individually, and at least someone will have an extra doe/fawn tag instead of a 75% chance that no one gets a second tag.
This ^ makes a lot of sense.

A friend and I want to take our daughters out to Wyoming this year to hunt antelope. I have 7 points and my buddy has 8. I've been looking at the '20 odds and my head is spinning. I was hoping to find an area where we can apply (all four of us) for either doe, or split up the points for all of us leaving <4 each? Our daughters are 16 & 17 and I don't see anything for youth. I've hunted in area's 106 and 68 in the past and neither have a doe tag and we have no where near the points needed. Any suggestions for trying to make something work with the kids?
If that doesn't work and this COVID nonsense is over come September bring them to Alberta Canada....it's only 3 hour difference in travel and we will put them on some bears and big Whitetails!....those are quarenteed..we just buy the tags...all of you can put in for Muley draws, does are guaranteed....Bucks are a little harder in the draw but most folks seem to get them on their first attempt...after that it's every third year..thats my Buddies between us he shot last fall
Resized_20210206_110341.jpg

Well I decided on unit 32 special tags for the four of us. The kids won't get the youth price but at least we have a good chance of taking the girls on a hunt. Also put in for type 6 tags as individuals. We could've saved some money by applying for 43 or 45 but the uncertainty of getting the RMA permit for all 4 worried me since we need to make this trip in September.

Well I decided on unit 32 special tags for the four of us. The kids won't get the youth price but at least we have a good chance of taking the girls on a hunt. Also put in for type 6 tags as individuals. We could've saved some money by applying for 43 or 45 but the uncertainty of getting the RMA permit for all 4 worried me since we need to make this trip in September.
If you are talking about the HMA permits for muddy mountain & Bolton Creek they always are issued in early july, without a problem. In the map folder that i offered you the ham maps are in there also. We must arrange a time to get them to you.

Let us know if you draw those bucks. It seems silly to me they won't let the two girls still have youth licenses. Anyways, one thing for you to consider, on your doe applications, there is a box that says something like "remove my application if I don't draw my full price license" that you might want to check. Would be a real bummer if one or two of you drew does and you didn't get your buck tags.

I applied for a doe tag in 32 also because I liked the area so much last year. Also applied in 3 other favorite areas that match where I applied for buck tags. I would be driving over half the state to get to them all.

Recent Posts