Antelope hunt shooting rest

ndczerwinski

I'm taking a trip out to Colorado to hunt antelope this fall. This will be my first time hunting Antelope and my first time hunting in Colorado.

I am curious as to what type of rest I should purchase for the trip with the mind set that I am going to be shooting 300+ yards. The hunt will be on a ranch near Lajunta, Colorado. I am not sure if I should be expecting a standing shot or a sitting shot.

Typically I have taken my long range hunting from the prone position off a Harris bipod, but I am thinking this will not work due to tall grass etc., but I am not sure. Just looking for some advice or words of wisdom. Any help would be appreciated.

We usually use shooting sticks because the sage and grass is too tall to shoot prone, as you mention.
I have a couple of different ones, but we like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BXVUN6/?tag=lrhmag19-20

They work well when sitting or other positions too. I also carry a set that is similar but much taller to use on the occasion we are standing.

Hog Or pig saddle I have the Pig saddle mounted to my tripod shot my goat this year over 600yards from it sitting.
I used my lightweight tripod I use for sheep hunting but should have used a better tripod but it got the job done.
My son really likes using it as he can stand with gun clamped in vise and shoot.

Keep you bipod on the rifle and get a pair of shooting sticks. I had land west of Walsenburg and hunted one of my neighbors large plots for antelope for many years. The terrain I had is similar to the La Junta area. You may get on a mound or slight elevation and be able to go prone without an issue. Or, you may be in grass or sage and need the sticks

This year I used a bipod prone on one goat, sitting using sticks on another and standing off hand on the third. The offhand shot was with my muzzleloader so close range and had to get over some tall sagebrush and a slight rise betwee me and the goat.

Keep the bipod and get some sticks.

Tall grass may depend upon the year and where you are? If cattle graze the area or if there isn't much moisture to grow grass this year it may not be an issue?

By far your best shot is shooting prone....especially if the wind is howling. About 85% of the antelope I've shot over the years were from prone position off my backpack. While stalking and getting close to where I likely will be shooting I always look around for a great spot for a prone shot. In most cases I have plenty of time to look around and find a spot for a prone shot.

I keep my spotting scope on a tripod next to me for field judging. The other 15% of my shots when I was close was off the top of my spotting scope on my tripod.

I hunted in Nebraska this year for the first time where there was 4 to 5' tall grass and weeds. In that situation a shooting sticks tripod would be ideal....although I shot off my spotting scope. I'm seriously considering buying a set of Primos Trigger Sticks. Even though 3 legs is heavier and bulkier than 2 legs I think it would be well worth it for stability...especially when shooting in high winds.

Shooting sticks that can be used sitting or standing can be helpful! Have a good time. Wind can play a be part into goat hunts

We usually use shooting sticks because the sage and grass is too tall to shoot prone, as you mention.
I have a couple of different ones, but we like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BXVUN6/?tag=lrhmag19-20

They work well when sitting or other positions too. I also carry a set that is similar but much taller to use on the occasion we are standing.

I own a set also, they're extremely light & versatile.

Prone would be great but...don't bet on it happening. Hunted in the Colorado sagebrush (Walden area) and tried prone (nope), then sitting, (still too much vegetation in the way), then kneeling (yep! finally). So either get a bipod that extends enough for a kneeling shot (just to be safe) or go with a shooting stick of some type. Monopods are the easiest to pack around, but the three leg-type shooting sticks are super stable. You have time to test some things out to see what works best for you well before the hunt. Good luck and have fun in La Junta! (It'll be windy, so brush up on your drift figures before you go. I taped them to my scope.)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.