Antelope hunt in Wyoming

GonzoK34

I need advise concerning which units to hunt for antelope in 2011.

My brother -Tony is 67, is a retired MSgt USMC, living in Granbury, Tx.

My Buddy - Chuck is 64, live's in Menifee, Ca., and is a Medically Retired GySgt USMC. Awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and 4 Purple Hearts, and a Beirut, Lebanon bombing survivor.

I'm 64, a retired civil engineer an a Sgt USMC, 3 Tour Combat Veteran. I live in Alpine, Ca.

My brother and buddy are both survivors of extremely serious injuries. They have gone through years of extensive long term treatment and recovery. At this stage in life they're seeing that our new crop of combat veterans are able to hunt and enjoy outdoor sports after recovering from their injuries. They believed they were not able to get out and hunt or enjoy the outdoors. But what today's Veterans are doing has inspired them.

We believe that a Wyoming hunt for Antelope is well within their capabilities. I greatly appreciate any suggestions you folks are able to provide.

Thank You
Robert W. Gonzales
Sergeant of Marines (Ret.)
SEMPER FIDELIS

Semper Fi brother. From what I've seen, just about anywhere in Wy you can draw a tag will be good. Be sure and check out what areas have walk-in, BLM, or other public land. Also check out Redbone Outfitting if you want a guided hunt. In my area of SD the antelope hunting can be great, but you have to walk in a few miles to get at the big ones on public land. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response JARHEAD and BUFFALOBOB.

I read both articles and have been utilizing those practices for many years. It's great to have others in the hunting community just as well prepared. I have been researching the Harvest Surveys and the hunt area map. Based on my finding, Wyoming has a high success rate in all areas. I see that those that are 75% and higher issue fewer tags. Those must be highly sought after. I found a number of hunt units that issue 300 or more tags to be in the 45% to 70% category. Now I'll narrow down the specific region to apply for.

Too both of you VETERANS- "THANK YOU" for your service to our Great Nation. I had engineers attached to our Recon Teams on the majority of missions we conducted. They were our GO TO PEOPLE when we needed to harass the VC/NVA, setting explosive for delaying tactics, to disrupt their movement and to BLOW clearings for MEDEVAC's. E&E,etc...

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Depending on how able bodied everyone is, hunting public land is not too hard and antelope are not very heavy if you use a game cart. This is a series of videos I made in 2009 of hauling out an antelope.

YouTube - Microcystis's Channel

If you wish you can bone it out on the spot and that reduces the weight down to about 30-40 pound and makes the4 game cart easier to get through the gullies and ditches. Here is a set of videos of an elk I boned out this year. I actually packed out two elk this year using the same technique. On one elk, I could load the backpack onto the game cart for half the way out and that is easier on my back.

If you hunt private land, often the land will be flatter and vehicular access to the animal will be possible. You may can find private land to hunt for free or have to pay a trespass fee. Landowner lists can be found on the Wy F&G web site

Buffalobob,

Viewed your clips on YouTube. I see you've been practicing the "Indian Method" for long pack outs of your meat. I learned this method from a friend just after returning from Vietnam. Only seen a couple of guys who knew how as well.
All your post and the YouTube are excellent resources to references when preparing for any type of hunting. I greatly appreciate the time you've taken to share your knowledge and experience.

Bob Gonzales
SEMPER FIDELIS

UPDATE:

Since my original post I have been researching harvest reports, unit quotas, public vs private land access, and allot more. I've selected units and discovered that they have less than 20% public access. Selected new areas and found them to have even less. There's still time to ferret out a hunt location.

The areas I've considered:
48, 47, 46, 42, 17, 23, 26, and 29.

Do any of you have experience hunting those areas.

Thanks,
GONZO
SEMPER FIDELIS

Gonzo,

Hopefully you check back on your post. I can't tell you much about area 21, but I have hunted area 63. Just a quick note - most of this area is within the boundaries of the Pathfinder Ranch...however...the good news is that they allow hunting. They require you to get your license "signed" at the main ranch house before you access their property. They're great people - very friendly. If you draw the tag, I would just call them ahead of time.

Plenty of antelope and it is very accessible. You won't have any problem filling your tag. I didn't see any trophy bucks, but you never know from year to year. The common phrase in Wyoming regarding trophy antelope is "They are where you find them". There are just as many if not more trophy antelope killed on public land as private land, so don't let that affect your decision too much. Most of your shots will be within 300 yards, so don't go overboard practicing at 600-700 yards. Good Luck!

NotLongRange,

Thanks for the heads up. I've been busy the past 2 weeks. Duck, Dove and Pheasant hunting. Cleaning birds, shotguns, 22Mag rifle and reloading ammo for desert target shooting at various unknown distances. We try to make a point of shooting out to 1000 yards during our shooting sessions. Verifying zero at 100 yards and then in increments to 1000. That done, we then hike the canyons and ridges picking rocks, etc.., to shoot at. We also have to pay $1.00 for every 1st round miss. It get's expensive if your having a bad day. The spotter knows the range. The shooter doesn't.
Good Luck

GONZO
SEMPER FIDELIS

I live in rawlins near unit 48 and 46 and 46 they have good antelope numbers out there. Wyoming also has a program called Hunter Management Areas i would look in to them. ok well if you choose 63 i hunted 68 just across the road to the east had good success. if you pull a 63 tag you should not have much of a problem getting a goat.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.